Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
Crime2
Got Boost?

Drives: 2010 1SS RS
Ethanol Free Gas

Found a gas station that has 93 ethanol free gas. Was thinking about trying it has I hear good things about. Just was not sure running a turbo SS with cam etc it this would be bad for the car and or tune.

Anyone tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. If is spelllled wrong deal with it.
Crime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Don't know what or how you are tuned now. If you were dialed in on E10 93, it will run 2-3% richer on E0 93 WOT. The LTFT's will compensate at cruise, ect. pulling a few % but the trims will not pull fuel WOT, they only add if needed from the LTFT's.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime2 View Post
Found a gas station that has 93 ethanol free gas. Was thinking about trying it has I hear good things about. Just was not sure running a turbo SS with cam etc it this would be bad for the car and or tune.

Anyone tried this?

Ethanol Free gas makes more power and will not hurt anything.

but I suspect it stil has Some Ethanol in it for Federal Emission Reasons.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Crime2
Got Boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

Thanks for the answer Ted!! You always bring good info to the table. That's why you always get emails from me on stuff. :-)

Check out the website www.pure-gas.org. It lists station that claim to have a pumps with no ethanol.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Thanks for the answer Ted!! You always bring good info to the table. That's why you always get emails from me on stuff. :-)

Check out the website www.pure-gas.org. It lists station that claim to have a pumps with no ethanol.

Cool None in CT though LOL
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Crime2
Got Boost?

Quote:
Another reason to come to Chicago. I will trade you ethanol free gas for a in person dyno tune. :-)

Old 09-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Quote:

+1, there is no such thing as Ethenol free in the US. If they are telling you that. they are lying to you. In fact all gas coes from one of a very few refineries. The only differences are the additives that they put in for each brand. Top Fuel has cleaning agents in the gas to keep yor engines runnig cleaner by allowing the fuel to burn fuller on each cycle. Cheap fuel is actuall more 'pure' than top fuel, but you dont want to put that junk your your car. You want those cleaning agents, especially in an SS.
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
Crime2
Got Boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaynard View Post
+1, there is no such thing as Ethenol free in the US. If they are telling you that. they are lying to you. In fact all gas coes from one of a very few refineries. The only differences are the additives that they put in for each brand. Top Fuel has cleaning agents in the gas to keep yor engines runnig cleaner by allowing the fuel to burn fuller on each cycle. Cheap fuel is actuall more 'pure' than top fuel, but you dont want to put that junk your your car. You want those cleaning agents, especially in an SS.
It's acutely more expensive.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
fielderLS3

Drives: 02 Alero, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaynard View Post
Top Fuel has cleaning agents in the gas to keep yor engines runnig cleaner by allowing the fuel to burn fuller on each cycle. Cheap fuel is actuall more 'pure' than top fuel, but you dont want to put that junk your your car. You want those cleaning agents, especially in an SS.

There is a station near where I work that offers both E10 and pure gas in regular grade. I've used both in by Alero depending on the relative price of each. The pure gas consistently returns 2.5 mpg better than the E10, so clearly there is actually a big difference between them.

Also, it is a myth that premium keeps the car cleaner than regular. It may have been true in the 50s and 60s, but it hasn't been for decades. The only possible reason to run premium over regular is if your engine is high enough compression to need it.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
jmaynard

Quote:
It's acutely more expensive.

There are only 149 refineries in the US to date. They all put ethenol into the the fuel except for perhaps Alaska. If it is less than 10% they stations are not required to notify you of the fact that is exists on the fuel. Normally it is about 5.9% but can be lower. It will almost always be greater than 2%.

In fact, most states mandate that gas have ethenol and the refineries do have a financial in include it as it is government subsidized so they can sell more petroleum at a higher margin with it's inlcusion. So, my comment may not be completely accurate, stations are probably not lying, they are just mis-informed, as is the web site pointing to ethenol free fuel. In fact, most the stations listed on that web site are NOT top fuel. Shamrock is NOT top fuel.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
jmaynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post
There is a station near where I work that offers both E10 and pure gas in regular grade. I've used both in by Alero depending on the relative price of each. The pure gas consistently returns 2.5 mpg better than the E10, so clearly there is actually a big difference between them.

Also, it is a myth that premium keeps the car cleaner than regular. It may have been true in the 50s and 60s, but it hasn't been for decades. The only possible reason to run premium over regular is if your engine is high enough compression to need it.
E10 is 10%, regular is somewhere between 2-5 % but up to 10%. E10 can actually be 10-15%.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
LSR SAL

Drives: faster than dirt...
I have a station by me that advertises ethanol free gas. It is about 40 cents more though
LSR SAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fielderLS3 View Post

Don't think they had Premium in the 50's/60's, Everything was leaded gas till around 74.
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #14
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
You got it, Bummer....