Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #1
camaro2ss/rs

Drives: 2ss/rs
some help

when you bring your car to get wet sanded is there any clues that you should run after hearing what they say. its after market paint.. cant go back to the shop that did it because guy has a big time attitude and not going to deal with him
camaro2ss/rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Body shops usually use a rotary polisher to buff the paint after it dries. Perfecting it is not something most will do. They commonly leave swirls and holograms in paint.

If you don't have the tools/experience to correct the clear coat yourself, go to a professional detailer. An easy way to find out if they really know what they are doing is just to ask "I don't know how thick the paint was put on, can you measure it for me?"

If they can't, find another detailer.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Body shops usually use a rotary polisher to buff the paint after it dries. Perfecting it is not something most will do. They commonly leave swirls and holograms in paint.

If you don't have the tools/experience to correct the clear coat yourself, go to a professional detailer. An easy way to find out if they really know what they are doing is just to ask "I don't know how thick the paint was put on, can you measure it for me?"

If they can't, find another detailer.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
DonM
This is my 3rd Camaro

Drives: All black '13 LS / Darth Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
If all you need is a detailer, then Joe M 2012 2SS is right. But I have a few questions first. Why do you think it needs wet sanded? Is there a lot of orange peel in the paint? Runs? Or is the paint just dull?

If this is a case of a paint & body shop not completing their work or doing shoddy work, I would find another P&B shop to fix what's wrong. I'm not saying a good detailer can't fix these problems, just that it might be a lot more expensive having a detailer get that involved in a heavy correction.

Plus, if there is an "oops" during the repairs, the P&B shop can easily fix the "oops" and respray the area properly.

Just throwing out a few thoughts

DonM is offline   Reply With Quote