Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Rigzo510
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bay area, ca
Posts: 231
Question Supercharger streetability

Narrowed my choices down to the whipple and procharger D1SC, I'm hoping to run around 650-700rwhp on a Ls3. I know the power curves are way different from each other and I have never been in a sc car so I'm wondering which sc will be more suitable for street driving and probly drag strip 1-2 a year?
Rigzo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Whipped416

 
Whipped416's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,517
i can tell u the whipple runs like stock until u get on it .. Make sure u get a good dyno tune and make sure your tuner knows what hes doing.
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
mikepage0007


 
mikepage0007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: port st lucie ,florida
Posts: 4,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipped416 View Post
i can tell u the whipple runs like stock until u get on it .. Make sure u get a good dyno tune and make sure your tuner knows what hes doing.
+1
__________________
mikepage0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Rigzo510
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bay area, ca
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipped416 View Post
i can tell u the whipple runs like stock until u get on it .. Make sure u get a good dyno tune and make sure your tuner knows what hes doing.
Having that much power down low in the rpms must get really addictive to the gas pedal haha, but yeah I'm planning on goin to well known shop here in cali so the tune shouldn't really be a problem
Rigzo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
nyny69

 
nyny69's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigzo510 View Post
Narrowed my choices down to the whipple and procharger D1SC, I'm hoping to run around 650-700rwhp on a Ls3. I know the power curves are way different from each other and I have never been in a sc car so I'm wondering which sc will be more suitable for street driving and probly drag strip 1-2 a year?
You can't go wrong with either. With the whipple you'll be able to feel it stoplight to stoplight. The procharger shines from a roll.

Now from what I understand you can get a wastegate for the procharger to make it more fun for the street.

I'm biased towards the whipple and would only get a procharger if I was building an all out race car.
nyny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Rigzo510
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bay area, ca
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny69 View Post
You can't go wrong with either. With the whipple you'll be able to feel it stoplight to stoplight. The procharger shines from a roll.

Now from what I understand you can get a wastegate for the procharger to make it more fun for the street.

I'm biased towards the whipple and would only get a procharger if I was building an all out race car.
Yeah that was what I was expecting from both of them but I have never heard of the wastegate for the procharger. What exactly is that and what does it do? Lol sorry noob here
Rigzo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
nyny69

 
nyny69's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigzo510 View Post
Yeah that was what I was expecting from both of them but I have never heard of the wastegate for the procharger. What exactly is that and what does it do? Lol sorry noob here
You should look at Padre's build journal. He runs one.

Link

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128997
nyny69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єlímíиąŧ°я Ö
 
Detoxx03's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Corvette
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Woodward Avenue
Posts: 851
Procharger on mine and it's 99% on the street where it's driven. Plenty of fun making close to 700rwhp on just 8lbs.
__________________

D1SC Procharger 881/773 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Rigzo510
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bay area, ca
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxx03 View Post
Procharger on mine and it's 99% on the street where it's driven. Plenty of fun making close to 700rwhp on just 8lbs.
Damn how's it feel on the street? And what kinda supporting mods u threw on there?
Rigzo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
2010SSRSM6
SoCal C5 Family Member
 
2010SSRSM6's Avatar
 
Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,451
Where you are in Cali, I would stay away from the Procharger. IF you get pulled over and they make you pop your hood, there is no way to not get a ticket with the procharger. With the Whipple, you can have your CARB sticker in place and at least put on a good front.
That is why I went for the Maggie over the Vortec. I couldn't justify the need to take an unnecessary chance.
__________________
UNDER CONSTRUCTION. ETA APRIL 2016
2010SSRSM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Beezwax
 
Beezwax's Avatar
 
Drives: Public Transportation
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Where you are in Cali, I would stay away from the Procharger. IF you get pulled over and they make you pop your hood, there is no way to not get a ticket with the procharger. With the Whipple, you can have your CARB sticker in place and at least put on a good front.
That is why I went for the Maggie over the Vortec. I couldn't justify the need to take an unnecessary chance.

WTF?!?!?! I ticket for having a Supercharger?
__________________
"30 psi is like bangin a really hot chick with an STD... you want to hit it but are affraid of the consequences"
Beezwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Rigzo510
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bay area, ca
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Where you are in Cali, I would stay away from the Procharger. IF you get pulled over and they make you pop your hood, there is no way to not get a ticket with the procharger. With the Whipple, you can have your CARB sticker in place and at least put on a good front.
That is why I went for the Maggie over the Vortec. I couldn't justify the need to take an unnecessary chance.
I'm by Oakland up in NorCal, I thought that the procharger had a carb?
Rigzo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
Rigzo510
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro Ls3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bay area, ca
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezwax View Post
WTF?!?!?! I ticket for having a Supercharger?
Yupppp if it doesn't meet these strict ass California emissions regulations, just like the long tube headers they're all illegal out here but ppl always find a way
Rigzo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Beezwax
 
Beezwax's Avatar
 
Drives: Public Transportation
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 148
im sorry.. thats fkn ubergay!
__________________
"30 psi is like bangin a really hot chick with an STD... you want to hit it but are affraid of the consequences"
Beezwax is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
ls3, procharger whipple, supercharger

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.