Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
blufin

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM M6
MSD BAP troubleshooting

I recently did some datalogging after dropping to a 3.4 pulley and Ted at JRE said my fuel pressure was dropping pretty hard. I was suprised to hear this since the tune for the 3.6 pulley was fine. Ted said to check the BAP to make sure it was functioning properly and sure enough, the LED on the BAP is blinking at me. The code it is throwing is "Open Load(.5A)"

I was hoping I could get some feedback from you guys that might know what this means. Sure, I'm gonna call MSD in the morning, but I thought I would pick your brains.
I have to say, I'm kinda relieved that there is a problem with the BAP, cuz if it was working properly, that might mean I need a better fuel system...$$$$
It's a pretty mild setup; just a maggie with 3.4 pulley, cai, headers and exhaust. I was pretty sure the stock fuel pump with a BAP would be good for at least 550 RWHP and I should be shy of that.

Any Ideas?
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING
PRESIDENT CALIBRATOR JRE

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
I recently did some datalogging after dropping to a 3.4 pulley and Ted at JRE said my fuel pressure was dropping pretty hard. I was suprised to hear this since the tune for the 3.6 pulley was fine. Ted said to check the BAP to make sure it was functioning properly and sure enough, the LED on the BAP is blinking at me. The code it is throwing is "Open Load(.5A)"

I was hoping I could get some feedback from you guys that might know what this means. Sure, I'm gonna call MSD in the morning, but I thought I would pick your brains.
I have to say, I'm kinda relieved that there is a problem with the BAP, cuz if it was working properly, that might mean I need a better fuel system...$$$$
It's a pretty mild setup; just a maggie with 3.4 pulley, cai, headers and exhaust. I was pretty sure the stock fuel pump with a BAP would be good for at least 550 RWHP and I should be shy of that.

Any Ideas?
Try Unplugging the large grey connector and plug it back in and see where it goes.
Usually this will reset the MSD.

If nothing start checking connections, everything should be soldered.

You can also Link up with a laptop and MSD View software and see how the voltage rises with boost.

Ted.
Jannetty Racing Ent Inc.
2984 East Main St.
Waterbury Ct. 06705
203-753-7223
tedj@jannettyracing.com
www.jannettyracing.com
www.turboaddictionparts.com
Performance Parts
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
blufin

Thanks Ted,
Tried the unplugging and the code is still there. Gonna have to start looking at connections next.
I was unable to load all the MSD software, it says it cannot load onto a 64 bit system. Computer is only 3 years old and running Windows XP
Old 09-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
it is normal for the msd bap to set a code 13 when the engine is not running, then after start up the l.e.d. should stop flashing the code 13 and should stay on constant. just the way they are wired on the camaro's they are actually turned on all the time
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
blufin

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1 View Post
it is normal for the msd bap to set a code 13 when the engine is not running, then after start up the l.e.d. should stop flashing the code 13 and should stay on constant. just the way they are wired on the camaro's they are actually turned on all the time
That is exactly what is happening. When I spoke to MSD, they had no idea and thought it was some sort of a wiring issue. I checked all my wiring and all is good. I have now narrowed it down to an issue with datalogging with too little fuel in the tank. Nick @ JRE stated he has seen cars on the dyno have fuel pressure issues with low fuel in the tank. After filling the car up, the fuel pressure issues went away.
I filled up my car and repeated the datalogging and sent it off to Ted. I'm keeping my fingers crossed waiting for the results.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
blufin

So after a little detective work, I was able to find a vacuum leak at the MSD connection. Thanks to Ted at JRE, he was able to narrow my issue down enough that I was able to find and fix it. Last datalog looks great. Test N Tune tomorrow night at PBIR.
Thanks Ted!