Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

GM Parts House
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Educate me on DOD/AFM delete

What are the pros and cons of tuning this out?

Will this help the car sound better at idle?

Whats the best tuning product?, EFI Live, HP Tuner, LS Edit?

The wife wants the car to sound LOUD as possible with the new LT. Yes, I did a search on this topic.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
CombatVet0311

Drives: blk 2010 camaro 2ss l99
Car will sound the same at idle as the vehicle operates with all cylinders active at idle, you will lose a negligible amount of mpg under light load with afm tuned out but the tradeoff is the l99 sounding like a proper v8. I assume that the quality of tune you get has less to do with the tuning device and more to do with the person tuning the vehicle. Hope I was of any assistance, good luck.
CombatVet0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
FWIW, AFM only kicks in when you are off the throttle, going down hill, or on very flat ground. The second you touch the gas pedal it turns back to 8cyl mode.

Personally, if its going to be there I wish it was less sensitive. Leave it in 4cyl mode when just maintaining speed (cruise control etc) if you arent on a hill or something that requires more power.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
FWIW, AFM only kicks in when you are off the throttle, going down hill, or on very flat ground. The second you touch the gas pedal it turns back to 8cyl mode.

Personally, if its going to be there I wish it was less sensitive. Leave it in 4cyl mode when just maintaining speed (cruise control etc) if you arent on a hill or something that requires more power.
AFM does what your second paragraph states. It does go into AFM when cruising. That's what all the aftermarket exhaust guys are complaining about. If it only happend when off throttle, it wouldn't be a problem. It also wouldn't help much on gas savings. Technically, when off throttle, the injectors won't be pushing much fuel.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
AFM does what your second paragraph states. It does go into AFM when cruising. That's what all the aftermarket exhaust guys are complaining about. If it only happend when off throttle, it wouldn't be a problem. It also wouldn't help much on gas savings. Technically, when off throttle, the injectors won't be pushing much fuel.
So, I do nothing with the tune on it. We just wanted it loud..
Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Cal 20112SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
It's unreal how noticable it is once I put headers on. You can hear and feal it shutting down cylinders.
Cal 20112SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
LTs and what else? stock cat back?

All the sound from the AFM stuff is dealt with in the giant stock resonators/x-pipe thingy. Go aftermarket catback after the LTs and it will drive you crazy.

If you want it off, tell your tuner to turn off DOD/AFM. Should be easy to do. I forget what it is called in HPTuners/EFI Live. I bet DSteck, Kirk, Monte, or RWTD knows... maybe they will chime in.

.....and maybe move the thread to the tuning section. Those guys know thier stuff.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
mlee

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
When I first put my LTs on I had it tuned w/ HPTuners to only come on in "D" in 5th & 6th gear only. In "S" mode it's all off.

With the handhelds like Diablo and SCT you can turn it off and on very quicky when you want but with HPTuners or EFI Live it can be done gear by gear...

I'm back to using my Diablo now with a Jannetty Custom tune to turn off the rear O2 sensor codes so AFM is just off now.

Now the title of this thread says AFM/DOD Delete which is a whole different subject.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 AM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
So, I do nothing with the tune on it. We just wanted it loud..
Not sure what you mean by doing nothing with the tune on it. Turning off DOD won't make it louder or quieter, it just won't go into DOD. FWIW, my gas mileage hasn't suffered at all. My average MPG with it on was a little over 18mpg and it's right at 18 with it off. This is with normal driving for a month on both settings.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 08-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #10
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Interesting points of view. I like it per gear...that is cool. Running 5th and 6th is nice option.

We have a true xpipe and Borla.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:17 AM   #11
AntzV

Drives: blacked out 2010 Camaro
If you can just have it tuned off, then you don't need the DOD delete kit some companies sell???
AntzV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntzV View Post
If you can just have it tuned off, then you don't need the DOD delete kit some companies sell???
No you don't but I think you're referring to the DOD lifter swap when doing a cam. The OEM DOD lifters don't play well with most of the cams out there. This is so you can run a more aggressive cam profile to gain more HP. I think every handheld along with HP tuners and such gives you the option to turn DOD off. There's no need to change parts if you're not changing cams.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #13
AntzV

Drives: blacked out 2010 Camaro
Quote:
No you don't but I think you're referring to the DOD lifter swap when doing a cam. The OEM DOD lifters don't play well with most of the cams out there. This is so you can run a more aggressive cam profile to gain more HP. I think every handheld along with HP tuners and such gives you the option to turn DOD off. There's no need to change parts if you're not changing cams.
O Ok thank you for explaining
AntzV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Quote:
Okay so no dod... good now focus on afm...lol