Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
rvadim76

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro SS 45th Edition
Is anyone using this stuff?

Hi There,
Found this one on Jegs:
FilterMAG
http://www.jegs.com/i/FilterMAG/384/SS365/10002/-1

Does it provide any real benefit? Looks like it is worth to try but I am curious if it actually does anything from what is being promoted.

Is anyone using this?

Thanks and sorry for the sort of dumb question
rvadim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #2
2SScamaro2010

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
52$ just for a magnet seems pretty pricey. I also don't think these things do anything either but I'm defiantly not an expert in these kind of things.
Mods: SW Retro Chambered cat back, CAI cai black, APEX scoop and ww tank, RX catch can, APEX Skip-shift Eliminator, Hurst short throw, Kooks 1 7/8 headers high flow cats, Livernois dyno tune, WHP: 415 WTQ: 407
2SScamaro2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #3
BurnedRubber

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
i think the magnetic drain plug would be more beneficial personally.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClH...QmvSyHD_0XtM7Q
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:34 PM   #4
doubletrouble

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary
I run one on my rock crawler, we put big flat magnets on our oil pans for our drag race cars.
2012 45th Anniversary 2SS ~ powder coated factory wheels w/ black lug nuts, tinted windows, factory strut tower brace, Elite Engineering catch can, OEM-sub box, ambient lighting, trunk mat, Black billet front and rear bowties, tinted front and rear side marker lights, tinted fog lights, ADM race air intake with scoop, Roto Fab washer bottle, Black SS strut tower covers, Kooks long tube headers with full Kooks exhaust, Janetty Racing email tune. Best 1/4 mile time so far 13.80
doubletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:17 AM   #5
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2011 SS
I don't know, and of course could be all wrong about this. But, from what I think I know about magnets and metal, is that prolonged exposure to a magnet causes metal, or most metals, to become magnetized? If this is true, and these magnetized particles somehow got through the filtration system, wouldn't that lend them to stick to things like bearings and journals?

I don't know, if or how it would happen, but it was just a thought I had.
MrChrisLS3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #6
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
I've used them for years and years on all high end projects. They really work. I have cut several filters apart to verify the advertisements and real world function. And just like the magnetic drain plugs, the definitely pull out and hold particles that would otherwise go back into the oil system. I currently have them on my Twin Turbo Camaro. I use twin auxiliary oil filters and each filter has magnets on them. Of course, I am using a different brand but they all work the same. Anytime you can remove dirt or metal particulates from the circulating oil, you are at a tremendous advantage of extending engine life. Same applies to automatic transmissions. Most all manufacturers install magnets in the oil pan to do the same function and if you have ever done a tranny oil/filter change, you can see how much particulate the magnet holds that would otherwise be circulated in the transmission.
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Well at least its not a magnet to align the molecules of gas into a more linear fashion with a ring magnet for the fuel line..LOL Yup kind of spendy compared to my magnetic drain plug from GM I bought, and a magnet around the filter could be good yet I would just use the stock from a sign shop if that worried about particulates.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, NPP, Forged 428 ls3 stroker, GMPP ported heads, Katech chain, Mast windage, Cam Motion Cam, trunnion upgrade, Stainless Power headers HFC, CAI w/kit, Vmax PTD, Fluidampr25% udp, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels,Toyo Proxes 4+, elite catch can, clutch reservoir, dash/body LED, DRL rewire, Sparks billet badges, Forza 3way, tint, MRT louvers, ZL1 spoiler, MGW short throw, Monster dual LT1S clutch, bleeder, support, high vol pump, Speed hut shift light, ACC flames stripes, Driven ls30 oil, NGK TR6IX , Granatelli wires.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
Subzero

Drives: Black 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadim76 View Post
Hi There,
Found this one on Jegs:
FilterMAG
http://www.jegs.com/i/FilterMAG/384/SS365/10002/-1

Does it provide any real benefit? Looks like it is worth to try but I am curious if it actually does anything from what is being promoted.

Is anyone using this?

Thanks and sorry for the sort of dumb question
I have this and a magnetic drain plug, as they were recommended to me after an engine rebuild. I'll let you know what I find in my oil filter after the next oil change.
Subzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:04 PM   #9
Subzero

Drives: Black 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
I use twin auxiliary oil filters and each filter has magnets on them.
Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of dual oil filters? More flow in parallel?
Subzero is offline   Reply With Quote