Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS A6
Using a Different ECM?

Can I buy a different ecm and have it tuned and be able to switch the 2 out? Tuner wants me to send my ecm in so he can make adjustments, so If i can swap ecm out I wont have any down time. Thanks for any info on this..

Last edited by Nitroman28; 09-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
I don't know the answer but a quick search shows that getting another ECM is not easy and there might be an issue with the mileage discrepancy between the two ECMs

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104772
Old 09-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
I don't know the answer but a quick search shows that getting another ECM is not easy and there might be an issue with the mileage discrepancy between the two ECMs

On a previous car I did this, and if it's the same the odometer isn't stored on the ECM it's on the BCM. The ECM primarily controls engine tuning only. I don't know if this carries over though.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Nitroman28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post

Yea I read that but being an old post i thought there may be some new info on it..
Old 09-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I tried one, never got all the codes to clear. It had my VIN programmed into it. Crankcase position, security, clutch learn.

If you got one and knew someone that could flash it at a dealership you might pull it off.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
2SSCAMARO

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
Can I buy a different ecm and have it tuned and be able to switch the 2 out? Tuner wants me to send my ecm in so he can make adjustments, so If i can swap ecm out I wont have any down time. Thanks for any info on this..
Can you buy a new ECM and have it tuned?.....Yes
Can you switch the two out?......Yes BUT you will have down time and you will need to get your car hauled to a dealer for ECM flashing whenever you switch ECMs. The replacement E38 no start ECM you purchase will need to be flashed by a dealer after it is installed in your car. It would be flashed with a stock tune which would not work very well with modded engines especially any that have bigger than stock injectors, blowers, turbos, cams, etc. There is also a security flash needed to enable the car to start. The starter will not even engage without the security flash. There are better ways to have your car remotely tuned, i.e. email tunes.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Nitroman28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
Can you buy a new ECM and have it tuned?.....Yes
Can you switch the two out?......Yes BUT you will have down time and you will need to get your car hauled to a dealer for ECM flashing whenever you switch ECMs. The replacement E38 no start ECM you purchase will need to be flashed by a dealer after it is installed in your car. It would be flashed with a stock tune which would not work very well with modded engines especially any that have bigger than stock injectors, blowers, turbos, cams, etc. There is also a security flash needed to enable the car to start. The starter will not even engage without the security flash. There are better ways to have your car remotely tuned, i.e. email tunes.

So I take it, It's a no to my question.. Thanks for the reply
Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
KARBON

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 850 RWHP/733 RWTQ
You will also have to get the ECM and the TCM married or they will not work properly.
*3200 Circle D
*850 RWHP/733 RWTQ
KARBON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
The Stig

Drives: out of the ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitroman28 View Post
That doesn't work. Search and you'll find tons of threads on it.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:13 AM   #10
Scourage
Syntax Error

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
That's what I had to do, bought a second ECM and got it tuned while I sent my original out to get unlocked from the previous tuner. After that I had two ECM's tuned, one for E85 and one for 91.
Scourage is offline   Reply With Quote