Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile, launch discussions.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Pocket Dyno App

I downloaded the Pocket Dyno app for my I-pod touch.
It is supposed to use the g force axis sensors to measure 0-60 and horsepower along with all the info you get from time slips at the drag strip.
It has pretty good reviews, has anyone ever used it and how accurate is it?
Thanks.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2010 SS LS3 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I downloaded the Pocket Dyno app for my I-pod touch.
It is supposed to use the g force axis sensors to measure 0-60 and horsepower along with all the info you get from time slips at the drag strip.
It has pretty good reviews, has anyone ever used it and how accurate is it?
Thanks.
Couldn't find it at iTunes app store. What's the full,proper name for the app?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Couldn't find it at iTunes app store. What's the full,proper name for the app?
Try it as all one word pocketdyno

Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Three of Swords

Drives: 2011 IBM 1SS/RS L99
I use Dynolicious. Similar app.

As for accuracy, like a lot of things, if you set it up properly, it will be pretty accurate (usually within 0.1s). But if you just rest it inside the cup-holder, or put it in a phone-bracket that moves or isn't straight as compared to the axis of the car, it will not work well.

Take any HP figures w/ a grain of salt. HP is a calculated function. It's similar to using online tools to calculate it via time-slip numbers.

If you do want to use it, you'll need to know your vehicle's exact weight. Don't guess. Weigh it at the track, or at a truck stop, or whatever. And weigh it as you would race it: gas level, you in it, anything removed like spare tire or fix-a-flat, different wheels if you have them, etc.

Also, any traction loss will result in lower HP numbers since it will drop your lateral acceleration.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three of Swords View Post
I use Dynolicious. Similar app.

As for accuracy, like a lot of things, if you set it up properly, it will be pretty accurate (usually within 0.1s). But if you just rest it inside the cup-holder, or put it in a phone-bracket that moves or isn't straight as compared to the axis of the car, it will not work well.

Take any HP figures w/ a grain of salt. HP is a calculated function. It's similar to using online tools to calculate it via time-slip numbers.

If you do want to use it, you'll need to know your vehicle's exact weight. Don't guess. Weigh it at the track, or at a truck stop, or whatever. And weigh it as you would race it: gas level, you in it, anything removed like spare tire or fix-a-flat, different wheels if you have them, etc.

Also, any traction loss will result in lower HP numbers since it will drop your lateral acceleration.
Thanks, I noticed it only uses the weight for HP calculations. I did guestimate the weight with me in it as 4,200 lbs then I put in all the other info as it requested and made a run last night but did not get a full quarter mile in before slowing. It shows I had a 0-60 time of 6.7 seconds and 1/8 mile was 9.4 seconds at 78mph. It also calculated I had a top speed of 88.94 mph at a distance of 1242 feet when I slowed down. It also showed my 0-80 mph time was 10.2 seconds. This was on a slight uphill on ramp to the interstate. I will make a couple more runs today.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 09-06-2012 at 09:02 AM.