Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #103
Skylane765
Splitter washers, jack pd

Drives: 14 Z/28, Challenger Hellcat, C7ZO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkker View Post
Here is a question, are any of you running the breather style oil cap? And what would the benifit be?
No, it gets clean air from the neck of the CAI, or the OEM, it's a closed system.

It would not be legal for smog. If the motor had allot of blow by or clogged air filter then it would help. It would not hurt any either.

The LSA PCV dirty air goes from the valley pan to the CC then to the snout of the SC before the boost side but after the TB. Then it gets make up air from inside the intake neck after the air filter to each valve cover.
Now if the PCV went to the intake on the boost side you would need the 3rd line to the intake neck or after the TB. It is when in boost there will be positive pressure and no way to pull the dirty air in or could have pressure in the block that you do not want.

Last edited by Skylane765; 03-17-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #104
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
No, it gets clean air from the neck of the CAI, or the OEM, it's a closed system.

It would not be legal for smog. If the motor had allot of blow by or clogged air filter then it would help. It would not hurt any either.

Actually, it would hurt a little bit. It would bring in air that is not measured by the MAF.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #105
Skylane765

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Actually, it would hurt a little bit. It would bring in air that is not measured by the MAF.
It's would if the PCV valve was not working right. The vented cap is only letting air IN to the crank case. Or if bad blow by it could go out of the vented cap.
The fitting in the bottom of the neck of the intake is after the MAF but that should never be letting air into the intake, but out to the crank case as the clean air make up.
Yes you are right that it may change the MAF a bit but that could also happen if you did not have a vented cap.
The good thing about the LSA is that it was made with a SC and PCV designed for it. Unlike after market SC.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #106
Azzkker

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, 99 z28, 89 iroc-z
Was just asking because the Rx can has option for with or without this breather cap. Did not think it would be needed in this application but wanted to gauge others opinions.
Azzkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #107
Skylane765

Quote:
Was just asking because the Rx can has option for with or without this breather cap. Did not think it would be needed in this application but wanted to gauge others opinions.
Just need the RX with a inlet outlet for the ZL1, do not need the breather cap or 3rd port.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #108
tnspd

Drives: Camaro ZL1 (BERT)
IMO....This is the best mounting location for those with the factory air box.
Attached Images

tnspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #109
toyosuprablue

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Quote:
Where is the clean air hose going? It looks like you have a added hose to it.
Both lines (inlet and outlet) are run together underneath everything on top of the motor and over to the passenger side. That line closest in the pic is the breather line that goes into the intake tube. This angle might help clear things up and show the mount better.
toyosuprablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #110
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
Just bought a roto-fab cai, and a catch can from R/X. Was hoping to get some install info but this thread did nothing but confuse me!
E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #111
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
RX specifically recomends the 2 check valve design for the ZL1. People on the forums will tell you it is not required but if you call RX directly not a vendor trying to sell what they stock, they will explain why.

this is why they do not recoment the breather for the ZL1 they have designed the dual check to allow for extra crankcase evactuation at WOT. this is the optimum setup in thier eye's.

Now you can take or leave that advice as it is not from me but from them.

My personality is not to try to re-engineer the recomendation of the product designer as they know more about catch cans than I do. they actaully test the products. Others will tell you it is a buch of BS and not required. but if you think it through at WOT there will be a vaccum created through the dual check but as I stated above some are not convinced that this is matters.
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #112
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ray View Post
Just bought a roto-fab cai, and a catch can from R/X. Was hoping to get some install info but this thread did nothing but confuse me!
it is really simple. don't let the thread confuse you. the center port of the can goes to the valley. the check valve connection goes to the vaccum port.

if you have a dual check the second check gets plumbed into the rotofab via the T fitting.
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #113
Azzkker

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, 99 z28, 89 iroc-z
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
RX specifically recomends the 2 check valve design for the ZL1. People on the forums will tell you it is not required but if you call RX directly not a vendor trying to sell what they stock, they will explain why.

this is why they do not recoment the breather for the ZL1 they have designed the dual check to allow for extra crankcase evactuation at WOT. this is the optimum setup in thier eye's.

Now you can take or leave that advice as it is not from me but from them.

My personality is not to try to re-engineer the recomendation of the product designer as they know more about catch cans than I do. they actaully test the products. Others will tell you it is a buch of BS and not required. but if you think it through at WOT there will be a vaccum created through the dual check but as I stated above some are not convinced that this is matters.
I ordered the dual valve setup from them last month. just waiting on it to show up. Allready have the T installed and just capped 1 side on the rotofab.

thanks
anthony
Azzkker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #114
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
I installed mine here. My RX came with the straight bracket for the SS . . I then waited for the bent ZL1 bracket . . . for the life of me I could not get the bent bracket to fit without the can rubbing on something, or without needing to either modify the bracket hole or take a section of the fan shroud out . . so I used a spacer, a longer OEM style bolt and the straight bracket.

I am not in love with this setup since I feel it puts a "load" onto the plastic ear of the radiator and shroud.

The plus, the can is rotated such that the hoses to the intake and valley do not need to cross over each other for a cleaner look.
THR ZL1 #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #115
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
Finished install:

THR ZL1 #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #116
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I used some bushings that came with a Direct TV dish and you DO NOT have to remove the filter to drain the cup. I did use the hockey stick mount and cut it smaller.
It only takes 10 ft of hose, the parts I used are listed in a earlier post.

To make bushings, just cut a 3/4 rod of some plastic and drill holes or use a thick 3/8s ID pipe and cut them to half inch. I just found the bushings in my screw box, You can use anything, even a socket would work. In the pic you can see the hockey mount piece left over I cut off.
Honestly guys, if this is something you want and you like this mount. We'll be happy to fabricate something specific for you. No need to run around to the various hardware stores and piece something together.

Just give us a shout!

sales@eliteengineeringusa.com
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #117
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: Mini Cooper S
great info. my OCC comes in soon.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #118
crg

Drives: '68 Camaro SS, '74 Corvette
I contacted revxtreme before I ordered mine, and I was told that the duel check valve is recommend on road courses where the engine is at peak rpm most of the time and for daily driving and drag racing the single valve would be fine.
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #119
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: Mini Cooper S
Quote:
I ordered the dual valve setup from them last month. just waiting on it to show up. Allready have the T installed and just capped 1 side on the rotofab.

thanks
anthony
Can u post a close up pick of the T you set up with your Roto Fab? I'm trying to get a clear understanding of how the dual valve setup looks like for when mine shows up.

I'm pretty clear on the engine connections but not so on the second check valve connection. Pics would help a bunch.