Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #151
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 7,000,000 lbs. of thrust
I hope you guys know that just because GM trademarks the name, doesn't mean they'll be making it anytime soon (IF they even do). I still think there won't be any 5th gen Z/28.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #152
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Name:  2015 Camaro Concept.jpeg
Views: 523
Size:  64.0 KB All this talk of 6 gen Z28,seems too early for a new generation Camaro.Why not some styling changes on the 5 gen?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #153
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner

Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Today's GM isn't the same company it was in the past. It's quite evident by what they've done that the Camaro team of today isn't just a couple of guys in the marketing department who's job is to come up with marketing names to squeeze more sales out of the market year after year.

The 5th gen Camaro wasn't just a retro remake; it was a brand new first class design and effort. The ZL1 wasn't just a regular Camaro with an "official" supercharger so they could market it with more horsepower; it was a serious technology rework of an SS but it was/is still a street car. The 1LE is a track pack option for an SS and it's a noteworthy upgrade in many areas you wouldn't expect; many heavy areas like transmission, coolers, differential, hubs, axles, etc. instead of just stiffer shocks and sway bars. It's clearly a great package for the weekend warrior who likes to run HPDE and autocross events and for the price it's unbeatable...but it's still not a race car.

The Camaro team has demonstrated a great deal of thought and "we get it" in the things they've done to each of those performance models. The fact the ZL1 was NOT labelled as a Z/28 shows they very much "get it" as to what the Z/28 needs to be. Another thing they have to keep in mind is whatever they do with the Z/28 it has to be able to meet cafe standards coming up; which means doing something different than what we've seen in the past.

The Z/28 is going to be a track car you can legally drive on the street; not a street car with some track upgrades... that's what the 1LE is and I don't see that being replaced by the Z/28. Based on the thought evident in the ZL1's technology and the heavy-duty component upgrades seen in the 1LE, I suspect they're working on a serious track car which will use technology as much as possible but still be legal for racing (i.e. no magnetic suspension). It will fit between the 1LE and the ZL1 price-wise; not have as much power as the ZL1 but out-perform it on the track. They've gone to school on the ZL1 and 1LE with the 5th gen and I think it almost has to be a 6th gen model due to the amount of "reworking" it would require on the 5th gen. I don't think it will use an LS7; most likely it will have the next generation V8 for emission and technology reasons.

Price: I see it at around $44,995 base model which for most people will be the one they buy; it will be the one for the guy who hardly ever actually races but sure wants to look and sound like they do on the street. They want to be seen in a Z/28 and be the center of attention wherever they go. Probably use the 1LE wheel package. It will be one helluva street car.

Upgrades will be things strictly for racing. For performance, smaller wheels; 19's or maybe even 18's that are very lightweight. Poly bushing upgrades ala Pedder's, Pfadt, etc. The interior will have racing seat options, 5-point racing belts with mounting points, Hans-device ready, possible interior roll bar with rear seat removed, and a fire extinguisher driver-accessible. Technology: gauges, instruments and electronics all geared towards racing. Cameras front and rear that can tie in to dash controls for recording laps. Wireless technology that can transmit performance telemetry to either your smart phone or through the roof antenna to your pit crew. You'll be able to record your laps and view all the data super-imposed over the camera footage. Driver-selectable track modes for long tracks or short tracks. And most likely they'll include things we never thought of or thought they would.

Price for the upgrade package will add another $5k so the Z/28 with upgrades will be about $49,995.

This car will beat the ZL1's track record on the Nurburgring. It will beat the track record of cars costing much much more. ZR1 owners are going to want one. GT-R owners are going to be ill. BMW owners are going to be quiet and hope a Z/28 doesn't show up at their track session, but they'll all be standing around it asking questions if one does. Porsche owners will try to ignore it. Mustang owners will be talking about the "next" model from Ford that will beat the Z/28 so they can have something to talk about when talking to Z/28 owners. The Z/28 will begin a new racing legacy and become every bit the legend it's predecessor was.

I'm going to want one...I...don't.....nee..eeed...it...I....don't... ..
I would love all of that, but you and I both know that GM will get slapped with the usual demands from people just wanting a name plate like --- Full on electronics package with GPS, TouchScreen, DVD/BluRay, 18 speakers, 1500W amp, heated 10 way power seats, automatic, convertible, big pretty wheels, all season tires, etc. etc. etc and will then proceed to complain about it being slow and too heavy.

I welcome a full on racecar-like Camaro that's almost fully stripped and devoid of creature comforts.. H*ll, even ditch the rear seat entirely like the Boss LS. I want a racecar with a VIN Camaro. Not a Comfy Cruiser that can play on a track.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #154
jroc7

Drives: *
GM may just want to avoid having to buy the name from someone the way they have to pay Dave Hamburger from SLP for the use of "ZL1". Also, consider how much merchandise gets sold with the "Z28" name on it. That potential revenue alone would be reason enough to trademark the name.
jroc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #155
jroc7

Drives: *
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I would love all of that, but you and I both know that GM will get slapped with the usual demands from people just wanting a name plate like --- Full on electronics package with GPS, TouchScreen, DVD/BluRay, 18 speakers, 1500W amp, heated 10 way power seats, automatic, convertible, big pretty wheels, all season tires, etc. etc. etc and will then proceed to complain about it being slow and too heavy.

I welcome a full on racecar-like Camaro that's almost fully stripped and devoid of creature comforts.. H*ll, even ditch the rear seat entirely like the Boss LS. I want a racecar with a VIN Camaro. Not a Comfy Cruiser that can play on a track.
I recommended a while ago that they make a car based on the Grand-Am versions, with the aero package, wheels, and chassis upgrades but still with a daily-driver quality interior. Something track-oriented to compliment the 1LE but be a cheaper SS-based alternative to the ZL1.
jroc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #156
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post

I think that's pretty much going to be the ZL1's market. The GPS would be useful in the Z/28 for tracking lap performance so I can see that being included but that's about it. Leaving out and/or reducing those other areas are great opportunities for weight reduction. A radio with 2 speakers in the front are all you need; owners can add all that heavy crap aftermarket if they want it. The Z/28 doesn't need a rear seat; a rollbar and racing belt hook-ups are what it needs.

Pull the parasitical devices off the engine by going with an electrical water pump and steering pump; free-up that horsepower and engine response. Go with a 1-piece driveshaft and balance the drivetrain so the engine can safely go to 8,000 rpm. Put flywheel safety blankets and driveshaft loops in standard. Make it a race-capable track car that's just barely street legal so you can drive it to and from the track.

I really hope they don't bog it down with parking lot add-ons for the standers-around crowd. I suspect they won't; I'm keeping the faith.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #157
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner

I'm good with all that..

Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #158
imgntht

Drives: 2007 GMC Acadia
Let's face it, GM is going to screw this up...all those that are hoping for a true track star my money says you're going to be disappointed. I'm guessing they will simply rename the current 5th gen SS to become the 6th gen equivalent.

And no, I'm not a GM hater by any means. I own nothing but GM cars as does almost my spouse's entire family. I just think GM made a mistake introducing the naming of ZL1 and 1LE and this is their way to use Z/28. It makes sense to me to drop the Camaro SS based on the upcoming sedan bearing the same name. And with all the excitement for the name nomencalture itself, I could see GM wanting to capitalize on it by making it more of a bread and butter sales volume arena.

I hope I'm wrong, but only time will tell.

Last edited by imgntht; 09-17-2012 at 04:26 PM.
imgntht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #159
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
So confused as to how my thread turned into a reply on another thread. LOL Love that "hyper-threading" Mods!

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #160
Whorable MPG1975
I'd rather be Blown.

Drives: 1975 CAMARO 454ciBBC/TKO-600
Stir that pot, baby!!!
Whorable MPG1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #161
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
My guess is it will replace the 1LE since it is only an option package to the SS..I mean really the 1LE was never really a model for a camaro, and Z/28 wasn't intended to be either but the RPO code spawned a love and enthusiasm for the past 40+ years!! I look forward to the Z/28 MY'14 and conv MY'15 and no longer the 1LE!!!

Last edited by Mikes SS; 09-18-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #162
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS LS3
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
Z28 on the left?

This was on Chevys FB Page under concepts

Borla S Cat-Back, PFADT Tri-Y Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC Goodies
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #163
imgntht

Drives: 2007 GMC Acadia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdog View Post
Z28 on the left?

Lord no...that was intended to be a 4cyl I thought. I liked the concept when they showed it at the Chicago Auto Show back in February, but by no way would that make a good Camaro.
imgntht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #164
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner

Quote:
Z28 on the left?

That's the 130R

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/09/c...-detroit-2012/

"Under the hood of the Code 130R, a turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine delivers 150 horsepower and 148 pound-feet of torque, and an eAssist system lends an electric hand when needed. The Code 130R also boasts either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. With a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout, the Code 130R would offer buyers an engaging drive and design in an economical and affordable package, if it were ever built."
Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #165
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I wonder if anyone has thought that **maybe** GM filed this trademark application because they saw someone making t-shirts/hats/coffee mugs/keychains/koozies/etc. with the Z/28 symbol on it and realized that they didn't have it trademarked to be able to file suit against those infringers...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #166
USAFJeeper
Bringing mullets back

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
Funny, the dealer had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him if I could pre-order the Z28. I have waited 40 years for a Z28, dammit GM, do NOT TEASE ME.

Next - Tinting
USAFJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #167
JewelSS
Norcal Camaros

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I wonder if anyone has thought that **maybe** GM filed this trademark application because they saw someone making t-shirts/hats/coffee mugs/keychains/koozies/etc. with the Z/28 symbol on it and realized that they didn't have it trademarked to be able to file suit against those infringers...

Fire Extinguisher, AAC footwell lighting, RJT seat stitching, Switchback LED's, AAC Mailslot scanner, AAC underhood, grill & underbody led lighting, AAC Plasma fogs, Eagle eye HIDs, RJT Painted calipers, RJT painted engine bay, Viteese Paddle Shifters, CFD Hurst style Shifter, RJT painted speedo & gauge trim, RotoFab CAI, TSP 2" Headers with full 3" XS Power exhaust, Granatelli Slotted rotors & Hawk HPS pads, ACS Front splitter, ZL1 Grill, Havoc Rear diffuser, BMR 1.4 Springs, BMR Strut tower brace, Custom HP ZL1 Tune by Mark Romans
JewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #168
cohulen

Drives: RS, SS and HPE650 Camaro
That Z28 will probably use the LS7 engine and get the 1LE package as standard. That´s at least what I would do if I were to use that badge and accomodate the model somehow in the current line-up.
cohulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #169
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Because it was something "truly special".

"What's important to remember about the Z/28 is how unique its mission was. While the rest of the Camaro lineup was designed and built around standard street car parameters (a trait Car and Driver referred to as "a polished lack of character"), the Z/28 was produced to homologate a race car package; the parts selected fell within higher specifications not usually used by Detroit carmakers. By doing so, Chevrolet, unwittingly or not, came close to building one of the best American sports sedans ever made. "With the Z/28," Car and Driver observed, "Chevy is on the way toward making the gutsy stormer the Camaro should have been in the first place."

Read more: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...#ixzz26OOuMHvK

Unfortunately, the Z28 hasn't been anything really special since about 1970. The name was kinda stuck to some Camaro's over the years, but nothing special beyond year 2.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #170
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbus View Post
Bring back the IROC-Z!

,,,and mullets...
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #171
mmartian

Drives: 2011 Camaro XM Appearance Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFJeeper View Post
Funny, the dealer had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him if I could pre-order the Z28. I have waited 40 years for a Z28, dammit GM, do NOT TEASE ME.
My dealer said he knew about it and it was coming but don't put a lot of stock into that, he had no idea what kind of car he was selling me a couple months ago.
Cobra XRS-9965 Radar Detector
Rider Graphix XM hood spears
Big Worm Vinyl for bowties
Emblem pros XM Badges/Emblems
Airaid Cold Air Intake

NEXT UP: Interior LED conversion/footwell lights
ON DECK: Engine Cover
mmartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #172
ZL-Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Z28 on the left?

Everytime I see that car on the left I think it looks like a 5th gen Camaro & a 2 door Toyota Echo had had a baby. The one on the right is pretty interesting. Maybe GM is thinking of starting it's own Scion level brand. Or maybe these two Chevy's are waiting for Arrowhead's to be installed on the fascia's. Both look pretty appropriate for the Pontiac brand.
ZL-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #173
donaldbaron

Drives: 2010LT CAMARO V6 K&N COLD AIR IND
BRING BACK THE Z28
donaldbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #174
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
^First post, all caps, four words.

I give it a 7.5 rating...