Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
DORFMAC's Ride

Thought about doing a build thread in about May, but decided against it. Figured it'd take too long to document all my mods, what was going through my head every time, and how I went about doing everything. Then I heard that you won't get CoTW without one, so here I am making one 5 months later after I've done even MORE mods and it will be even MORE of a pain

So with my dream of achieving internet greatness on the line, let the fun begin...

Current Specs/Pic:

Name:  472495_603489355745_1545280930_o.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  76.6 KB

Exterior Modifications

Black front bowtie
purple illuminated black rear bowtie
20% window tints
SMD Afterburner tail lights
Plasma running lights
tinted tail lights
factory GFX
ghosted sidemarkers
vertical doors
22" Lexani LSS-10 wheels
RGB Underglow/grille lighting
MPD1 Spoiler
MPD1 Z-Force Hood
JDP Colorshift Halos
Chrome turn signal bulbs
AAC concept mirrors
Black chrome tail light bezels

Interior Modifications
Purple footwell, trunk lights
RGB interior dome light
Emblempros switch plate
custom interior trim from Lupe
Dash ABL
2013 Frameless mirror retrofit
Custom Engine cover

Performance/Handling Modifications
MRTv2 Exhaust w/square tips
Hurst short throw shifter
CAI intake
MACE 25mm
RX Catchcan
ported throttlebody
ADM Scoop
K&W Variant 3 Coilovers

Future Planned Modifications
Waiting for install:
Black Chrome fender badging

Ordered:
Rideskinz Aggressor 2 front fascia

Planned:
Vented fenders
Custom ZL-1 grille
Custom door/dash trim by Lupe

Name:  Camaro Sunset.jpg
Views: 3070
Size:  87.0 KB

Last edited by dorfmac; 06-26-2013 at 11:57 AM.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
It's about time

Lupe

See www.camarocustoms.com
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Prelude: The Birth of a Monster
Age 16 - September 2011

I was never into cars. I remember in high school, everyone was creaming themselves over The Fast and the Furious cars, but I never understood why you'd buy a crappy Honda Civic and spend more money to soup it up than you did on the car in the first place. Why not just buy a nice car from the start? While, of course, that mentality still applies to ricers like the ones in the movie, I've since learned about the mod addiction and things are different on the Camaro

My first car was a 98 Toyota Avalon XLS. Great car, had a little pick up, and had a HUGE backseat which was great for a high school kid trying to get action anywhere/way he could. Never did any aftermarket work for it - not sure if there were even any options. Even if there were, the mentality stated above kept me from getting into it. It survived hitting two different deer, a trip to Florida in August with a broken air conditioner, and a few fender benders before being traded in with ~195k miles. The one pictured was not the exact car I had, but quite similar.

Decided I wanted to step it up for the next car. Originally I was looking at a Mercedes SLK, but I just couldn't fit in comfortably. I looked at comparable cars and fell in love, purchasing an 04 Lexus SC430. Originally a ~$70k car, I bought it used and 5-6 years old. Needless to say, I was the perfect "10 Cent Millionaire" (still am! ). I loved having a convertible and the ability to listen to 2Pac's "To Live and Die in LA" and say "Dogg pound in the Lex with an ounce to burn!" like only a suburban white guy can

This was the first car for which I was ever interested in the aftermarket. I spent a great deal of time scouring the deep corners of the internet for body kits, "ballin" rims, etc. When it was all said and done, all I ended up with were 5% tints all around that made it damn near impossible to back up at night, and smoked head/tail lights. So much for those big dreams

Kept the car for about 2 years, during which the nightshade on the tail lights faded completely and the convertible top stopped working. Took the SC to the Lexus dealership and got a repair quote of ~$2k for the roof and decided that I'd rather spend the money on a new car. Was looking at getting a brand new IS on lease, but couldn't get the money where I wanted it.

My dad said that I should check out the new Camaro and that he really liked it, so after playing a round of golf, my girlfriend and I went to go test drive. Two days later, went back after work and sealed the deal, driving home in a used, black 2010 LLT at about 11 PM. That night changed my life (or at least the way I've looked at spending money ) ever since.

Last edited by dorfmac; 09-22-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Camaro Ch. 1: Stepping Up My Game
September 2011 - January 2012

I purchased the vehicle a few days after test-driving. It was my first standard transmission car as my girlfriend has only recently taught me how to drive stick. I also never had a black car before - definitely didn't know what I was getting myself into! I took it home and had the permagrin which I know everyone has experienced.

Chapter 1 primarily consists of cosmetic upgrades. Considering I had never actually "cared" about a car before, I had (and still have) a lot to learn on the mechanical side of things, but I don't need to do any research to know what I think looks good

From the start, with a black car, I knew I needed to get some dark tints. Based on my experience of not being able to see out my Lexus' back window with 5%, I decided to go with a more tolerable 20% on the Camaro. I like dark tints, so aesthetically, the 20 wasn't quite as nice, but as far as functionality is concerned, it amazing. Also had the entire windshield tinted 50%. Not quite legal, but how many of us haven't bent the rules somewhere along the way?

My cousins boyfriend worked as a mechanic at the dealership where I bought my car, and definitely came in handy along the way during those early days. He was able to switch out my wheels that had some cosmetic damage from the previous owner with those from another Camaro trade-in they received. He also hooked me up with the blacked out bowties from that car and switched them with my gold ones.

I also purchased a set of AAC sidemarkers from another member on the forum. While I bought them used and didn't expect a perfect product, I never really was comfortable with what I got. They were painted black, but not tinted or ghosted, so they had a white stripe where the LEDs were that stuck out like a sore thumb. However, they were cheaper than new, and they served their purpose for a few months.

It was about this time (October/November) that I met up with some local guys through this website and joined their little group. My fellow DMVC5 guys have given me some fantastic ideas and advice along the way Obviously, as soon as you start hanging out with other owners who share a similar passion, it only gives you more of a drive to set yourself apart and make the car your own! Between that, and my girlfriend asking me "When will you stop looking at all this stuff you want to do on-line and actually do it?", the pace really started picking up.

With some Christmas funds, I accepted her challenge. First costly "plunge" I made was for some AAC products. I purchased their afterburners, a purple illuminated bowtie, plasma DRLs, and purple footwell/dome/trunk lighting kit. Paid to have them installed at a local shop (paid way more than I should have - you live, you learn) and had everything wired up to an Emblempros switchplate. While I had to sacrifice my rear cupholder, the switchplate is perfect for what I've used it for, and looks very clean.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  259.2 KB

Once the taillights were good to go, I went and got the tail lights tinted. While some people think that 'blacked out' is played out, you can't argue that it looks mean

Name:  416800_576099455325_1934820074_n.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  76.8 KB

The early months were all fairly simple, but still a huge leap for me from where I was coming from. First time I had ever put more than ~$300 into a car. First time I ever cared about getting my car washed regularly. Not the first time I ever felt cool driving around, but now since I was in a Camaro, it was probably the first time I actually was

Last edited by dorfmac; 09-22-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: RED DEMON!
Alright great start to a kick ass build, i look forward to lot's more modifications in the near future!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Looking great keep up the good work.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Camaro Ch. 2: The Great Tax Return Binge of 2012
January 2012 - February 2012

This time period was my first "binge" into the Camaro - I'm sure all of you other mod addicts know what I'm talking about... As a teacher, it's tough to scrounge around for the funds in order to do more than random stuff here and there, but a quick tax filing and a perfectly timed and substantial return made it all possible. Because of that, I refer to this time period as "The Great Tax Return Binge of 2012".

Fellow club member, known on the forum as Atma, had the factory ground effects on his car, and I loved the rear. While I wasn't 100% sold on the side skirts or splitter, I loved those exhaust bezels and it made more financial sense to buy the entire package rather than just the rear fascia.

Called up Becky @ Rodgers Chevrolet and she took good care of me. Cheapest price for the package, came painted and ready for install. There was some rub damage on the front splitter that was incurred during shipping, and she didn't ask any questions - just shipped me out a fresh one. Luckily, that was only half of the tax return, so I had to find a way to blow the rest of it....

<Cue lambo door jokes now so we can get them out of the way early and I can continue my story>

Now that that's over... VERTICAL DOORS! Went with the VDI brand kit and had Tim at T&T Performance install these at the same time as the ground effects. VDI makes a great, sturdy product and Tim did a good job on the install. I've had the doors up in the wind a few times, and while they might wobble a little bit, at no point was I concerned about the thick steel hinges breaking. While this isn't a mod I expect everyone to enjoy, I'm a big fan, and living in Baltimore, sometimes the street cred comes in handy!

Name:  423375_580619951215_22663395_n.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  70.5 KBName:  -5.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  101.3 KBName:  -4.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  115.3 KB

The last big cosmetic upgrade from "TGTRBo2012" was a redesigned interior. No better person to call up than Lupe! He was able to find the exact paint I wanted (Raven's purple) and put together a great set of items for me. He custom painted me a smoothed center console, gauge trim, steering wheel trim, etc. He does fantastic work, and as I found out after meeting him at C5Fest, is a good person as well. I look forward to sending him down my door and dash trim to get that custom painted to match!

Name:  -6.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  125.6 KB

My car to this point, and still to this day, has a strong lean towards the cosmetic mods, but I did have some minor performance work done during this binge. I wanted a louder and more aggressive sound, but I didn't want something LOUD. The last thing I wanted was my boss or fellow teachers to know that I was rolling into school late when I have first period off, so LOUD was not an option.

In order to beef up the sound a little bit, I had the MRTv2 exhaust installed. It seems to be one of the more popular V6 mods, and understandably so. Gives the car a nice growl, which I especially enjoy in the upper-range of each gear. The plus side is, it's relatively tame when I want it to be. After a while, it "broke in" and has mellowed out a little bit, which is perfect. So to sum it up - when passing a Mustang, a loud 'F You', when sneaking in late to school, not a problem I also had Tim install the MBRP exhaust tips to fit the look of the squared off exhaust bezels.

The other performance mod I had put on was a Hurst short throw shifter. Mine did not come with one from the factory, but after driving my girlfriends Infiniti, I definitely wanted to shorten up the range when rowing through the gears.

Ultimately, I think you would all agree that "The Great Tax Return Binge of 2012" was a flying success. It remains the most extensive (and expensive) work I've done in a relatively short period of time. After complete, I really felt as though I had a brand new car every time I looked at it. A world of difference!

Last edited by dorfmac; 09-22-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
Does the Great Tax Return Binge of 2013 involve a Steeler's logo on that big canvas of a rear window?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
Does the Great Tax Return Binge of 2013 involve a Steeler's logo on that big canvas of a rear window?
I'd copy your herro kitty look before I did that!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
I was looking at those wheels also.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
5thJenn

Drives: 2008 Infiniti G35S
Quote:
Originally Posted by UF4LIFE102SS View Post
I was looking at those wheels also.
Gator fans are smart people!
5thJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
I'd copy your herro kitty look before I did that!
Let's not talk blasphemy here. Hello kitty has nothing on Steeler Nation.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
nice ride! your reppin us v6'ers well, i seen your getting the new mirrors and aggressor bumper, post pics when its done! i wanna see how my cars gonna look with that bumper!
Status 22" Staggered painted wheels/Eibach 1" Pro Kit Lowering Springs/Heritage Grille/Razzi Ground Effects Kit/RK Sports 3 piece Spoiler/DT Shortie Headers/Injen CAI/MRT 1.0 /Resonator Delete/Oracle Dual Red-white halos/Knight Rider grill Light/Sparks RS emblem/LED Sidemarkers/Red interior lighting/Gm fuel door/Halo Foglights/Trifecta Tune/IGGEE Seat covers/ Sinister Hood,VMAX throttle body/VMAX Black Iceolator/Technostalgia LED Taillights/3dCarbon Fender Vents/AAC Concept mirrors/zl1 bumper/AAC Plasma's/Scosche kit

WL-BMR Strut Bar/Custom rear vents
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
Nice car bro! But why do you have so many purple accents I just dont get it?

DMVC5
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
First nice combination of mods.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_LoW29 View Post
Nice car bro! But why do you have so many purple accents I just dont get it?
I assume TEAM colors he supports?
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
First nice combination of mods.................

I assume TEAM colors he supports?
Haha don't take the bait - clowgreen knows I'm a ravens fan! And thanks for the kind words, spymaster! One day I'll put together a whip as clean as yours!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
TRIPWIRE
Chillin Like a Villain

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic Dusk Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
Prelude: The Birth of a Monster
Age 16 - September 2011

I was never into cars. I remember in high school, everyone was creaming themselves over The Fast and the Furious cars, but I never understood why you'd buy a crappy Honda Civic and spend more money to soup it up than you did on the car in the first place. Why not just buy a nice car from the start? While, of course, that mentality still applies to ricers like the ones in the movie, I've since learned about the mod addiction and things are different on the Camaro

My first car was a 98 Toyota Avalon XLS. Great car, had a little pick up, and had a HUGE backseat which was great for a high school kid trying to get action anywhere/way he could. Never did any aftermarket work for it - not sure if there were even any options. Even if there were, the mentality stated above kept me from getting into it. It survived hitting two different deer, a trip to Florida in August with a broken air conditioner, and a few fender benders before being traded in with ~195k miles. The one pictured was not the exact car I had, but quite similar.

Decided I wanted to step it up for the next car. Originally I was looking at a Mercedes SLK, but I just couldn't fit in comfortably. I looked at comparable cars and fell in love, purchasing an 04 Lexus SC430. Originally a ~$70k car, I bought it used and 5-6 years old. Needless to say, I was the perfect "10 Cent Millionaire" (still am! ). I loved having a convertible and the ability to listen to 2Pac's "To Live and Die in LA" and say "Dogg pound in the Lex with an ounce to burn!" like only a suburban white guy can

This was the first car for which I was ever interested in the aftermarket. I spent a great deal of time scouring the deep corners of the internet for body kits, "ballin" rims, etc. When it was all said and done, all I ended up with were 5% tints all around that made it damn near impossible to back up at night, and smoked head/tail lights. So much for those big dreams

Kept the car for about 2 years, during which the nightshade on the tail lights faded completely and the convertible top stopped working. Took the SC to the Lexus dealership and got a repair quote of ~$2k for the roof and decided that I'd rather spend the money on a new car. Was looking at getting a brand new IS on lease, but couldn't get the money where I wanted it.

My dad said that I should check out the new Camaro and that he really liked it, so after playing a round of golf, my girlfriend and I went to go test drive. Two days later, went back after work and sealed the deal, driving home in a used, black 2010 LLT at about 11 PM. That night changed my life (or at least the way I've looked at spending money ) ever since.
is the avalon the squirt mobile you were talking about?
TRIPWIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPWIRE View Post
is the avalon the squirt mobile you were talking about?
You know it. Obviously it has to be, because you can't get any action in the backseat of that Lexus - no space!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #19
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Camaro Ch. 3: The Little Things
April - May 2012

It was during the spring that a fellow DMVC5 member chose to diverge from his Camaro brethren and trade in his car. He was a sixer as well who's priorities in life and passion for the Camaro did not match up. Through this friend, I was able to acquire some upgrades as he parted out his mods. He gave me a good deal, and I purchased an RX Catchcan, a ported throttle body, and the MACE 25mm insulator.

At the time, I wasn't really 100% sure what these items did in particular, but I did know that everyone on the forum hyped them up and so I figured since I was getting a deal, I should just pull the trigger.

I had a commitment at school the Saturday morning I was supposed to meet up to exchange parts, so I had to send my girlfriend in my place. Bill was kind enough to do the install and part exchanges for me in his driveway, which is awesome since I'm sure my girlfriend wouldn't be a huge help (neither would I, for that matter).

When I got home from school that Saturday afternoon, I was excited to see what my mystery mods had gotten me, so we took the car out for a spin. I noticed some increased pick-up and the trusty buttdyno registered some change, but nothing crazy. It wasn't until I did a burnout that I noticed a huge difference. The tires got going, and my girlfriend claims she even saw a little bit of smoke when she looked in the side-view mirror. Cue minor fishtail action, a slight scare that I was going to drive through a wooden fence, and a regained control of the vehicle, and I was sold on the parts.

Shortly thereafter, I made another purchase - sadly, this one was full price. After doing a fair amount of reading here on the forum, and checking out the great spreadsheet put together on CAI's (I think by JRE?), I decided to pull the trigger on a Cold Air Inductions intake. Got one with the black finish to match the rest of the ride and also bought the scoop. Forgot who I purchased through, but I believe it was Apex. Whoever it was did a great job and got it out to me really quickly. Had some buddies do the install for the intake in their driveway, and then like 3 months later I finally got the scoop put in.

The springtime didn't see significant changes like the TGTRBo2012, but it was a bunch of little things that I've been happy with. At least now when I'm at a car show, I don't have to feel COMPLETELY embarrassed about popping the hood because I can at least point to one or two things that aren't stock.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
atma
disco kryptonite

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
you are so f'n lazy... you posted pics of that new engine cover everywhere but here! what's the deal, fool? and thanks for the shout. never knew I had provided some inspiration. seeing as how you were directly responsible for my first mod ever, it feels appropriate. now get typin' and post pics!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Camaro Ch. 4: Blowing Money Fast
Summer 2012

For teacher's, summer is the best time of year. No school for 2+ months, and at least the way my compensation is set up, I still get the paychecks! This marked my first summer with my Camaro and I celebrated the great weather and sunshine by treating the car to a few new surprises which led to a drastic change in appearance.

It took until mid-June, but I had finally decided which wheels I wanted to go with. A lot of people on the forum seem to like some of those TSW wheels, or the Foose Legends, but to be honest, I've always found those boring - just not my style. I also am not a big fan of concave rims and would pick a deep dish rim every day of the week.

Looking to rappers, such as Game for a little inspiration, I learned of Asanti. Upon quick review, there was nothing in their catalog of wheels that I could afford ($800+ per rim), so I looked to their similar, yet more affordable counterpart, Lexani. I ended up deciding on the LSS-10's. I think they give a clean/classy look, but also have the street appeal I was looking for, especially at 22".

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 4.08.17 PM.png
Views: 512
Size:  348.8 KB

Towards the end of April, I had placed an order with Eric at MPD1 for the Z-Force hood and the spoiler. I had hoped to have all of this squared away by C5Fest in August, and while the process was not as smooth as I had hoped or expected, the end result was fantastic as the car now has a gorgeous hood and spoiler. For those who took the time to read the vendor review thread linked above, allow me to reiterate that I commend MPD1 on their commitment to customer service By the end of August, everything was squared away, installed, and looking mean.

Name:  hood.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  186.4 KB
Hood

Name:  spoiler.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  146.7 KB
Spoiler

Since I was unable to get the hood and spoiler squared away for C5Fest, I felt a void deep in my soul - like I was unprepared for the biggest Camaro event (ever?). As many of you know, the only way to fill these types of voids is to spend more money and dress up the car some more. After consulting my inner ricer, I decided some lighting would be the way I would go.

About a month prior to C5Fest, I read that AAC would be doing installs on-site, so I called them up and placed my order. A full underbody, wheel well, and grill lighting kit. Ended up being like 22 or 24 feet of RGB lighting strips. I dropped it off during the afternoon before Fest started and picked it up that night about 8 PM and was very satisfied with what they did for me. While I can't seem to find any pics from Fest of the underglow and what I was working with, I do have one from October when I was celebrating the Orioles' first playoff game since I was in 4th grade. Go O's!

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-06-25 at 10.36.09 PM.png
Views: 460
Size:  229.2 KB

Edit: Looks like I need to resize some of these images... I'll tackle that tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #22
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Camaro Ch. 5: A Long Winter's Nap
Fall/Winter 2012

It seems that for many of you, winter provides an opportunity to really make some progress with mods. You drive all summer, mod all winter, and it's like a brand new car when you bring it back out during the spring. Unfortunately for me, as fall progressed and winter drew nearer, not only was I not driving the car often, but I also wasn't putting in a lot of money for mods. In contrast to the time available during the summer for us teachers, the winter proves to be the exact opposite. Luckily, I was able to get a lot done at the beginning of fall to make up for a lame winter.

On the ride home from C5Fest, I got a call from Tim at T&T Performance letting my know he just took off a set of coilovers from a customer and was trying to facilitate a sale. Having just spent the previous weekend at Fest and seeing all the vendors and their suspension upgrades, Tim called at the perfect time. Rather than spending $2k+ on coilovers or a few hundred for springs, I was able to get the best of both worlds! Tim hooked me up with this set of used KW Variant 3's for just less than twice what it would have cost me to get drop springs. I had those promptly installed and my car dropped as far as it could go without overlapping the wheels. To be honest, not even sure how far the drop was, other than that it was enough to be aesthetically pleasing to my eyes.

About the same time, I hit Tim up again, this time for some JDP Halos. I had originally intended to get the AAC halos when they installed my underbody lighting, but realized that I preferred the diffused light rather than being able to view the specific LEDs. Tim luckily had about 5 sets of JDP halos in stock, so I put him right to work and about a day or two later, went back to pick up my car with the colored halos. Ended up very happy with my last minute decision to change brands and I ride around with them on whenever I'm driving.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 2.57.16 PM.png
Views: 402
Size:  245.9 KB

With football season starting up, I had no other choice but to go purple and black!

I didn't completely turn my back on AAC, however, as I jumped on the group buy bandwagon for their concept side mirrors. Very sleek looking and with a built in LED strip that can be used as a blinker. After reading other's complaints regarding the paint job and quality, I was concerned until I received mine and was relieved that there weren't any imperfections. I promptly called up my boy C-Lo Green and he took time away from his cats to help me out and get them installed. I still haven't yet installed the LED's to the blinkers, but hope to have AAC do that for me when they work on my car this year at Fest while they do a few other things for me...

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 2.55.11 PM.png
Views: 388
Size:  399.9 KB

Come late December (after I knew how much money I had left from Christmas Shopping), I had the itch to do something again. I had long been a fan of the frameless rear view mirrors on the 2013 models and after a little research, I stumbled upon the great work of Ofer who had cracked the code and made the retrofit possible. Unfortunately, my orders were placed too late for his Christmas sale, but being the great guy that he is, he still honored the prices since I was only a few days late. At the same time, I also picked up his dash ABL kit and harness.

After what always seems to be an agonizing wait for shipping - rarely the companies fault, and usually just because I'm excited and impatient - the parts arrived. I drove out to T&T Performance again, dropped off the car and parts, and Tim got to work. Picked up the car again later that week and I was all set up! The frameless mirror looks so much less bulky than stock and really looks sharp. I was 110% satisfied with that. Unfortunately, the dash ABL didn't work out as well as I had hoped. The light doesn't diffuse all the way across the dash, unfortunately. I have plans to paint all of the interior trim so I figure when I go to install the painted pieces, I will just uninstall the dash lighting. In total, the mod cost less than $100 so not liking it won't prove to be a huge loss.

The last mod of the winter was actually a Christmas gift from my girlfriend. She's always cool about the Camaro and modding addiction as she rarely ever complains about where all this money is going. As evidenced by this gift, she clearly is in on it as much as I am! I've always been a huge Ravens fan (we had the pleasure of going down to NOLA to witness the Super Bowl victory in person this year) and in having a black car, it gives me an opportunity to show off some of that Ravens pride. After seeing the work a local airbrush artist had done in some fellow club members engine bays, I knew I wanted to get my engine cover painted. My girlfriend offered to do that for me as part of my Christmas present, and it came out awesome. Ray Lewis doing his signature dance, surrounded by black smoke and a Raven logo. I only bust it out for shows as I'm not one to keep my engine bay clean at all times... Super stoked about how it all came together and a special thanks to 5thJenn for making it happen!

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 10.47.31 PM.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  161.2 KB

In the sunlight you can really see the cool purple metallic paint that was used

Surprisingly, I don't have any pics of the engine cover actually on the car. I will definitely be sure to do that next time I put it on. Since I've been backtracking on my thread so far for things I've already done, sometimes months prior, it's difficult to always find pics.

The only other little thing I did during this time was change out the egg yolk turn signals up front for the AAC chrome bulbs. Subtle, yet noticeable to the trained Camaro eye.

As you can see, a lot of smaller jobs done during the fall and winter of 2012/13, but most of it I've been happy with. Further validation included my first trophy earned at the first show I attended earlier this year! So what if it was a 3rd place? A year and a half ago I wouldn't have even been interested, so for me, it's a big step forward in a relatively short amount of time!

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 10.52.48 PM.png
Views: 351
Size:  334.5 KB

Last edited by dorfmac; 06-27-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #23
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Now that I'm basically up to date, there thankfully is no longer a need to write novels...

This spring was pretty low key as I spent a lot of time reffing lacrosse games and teaching, so I didn't have much time for mods. Just some small things.

Talked to Gary down in Panama City and he did some black chrome tail light bezels for me and that's about it. They do give it a cleaner look on the backside getting rid of some of the chrome and in doing so, it gave me another idea...

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-06-28 at 2.47.27 PM.png
Views: 393
Size:  259.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-06-28 at 2.47.35 PM.png
Views: 388
Size:  370.3 KB

Black chroming the GFX bezels, installing some black chrome mesh in the bezels, and putting some turndown tips on so that the exhaust doesn't actually come out the back end. Still toying with that idea, but I am definitely leaning towards it...

The big thing I did this spring was put down a deposit on the Rideskinz Aggressor 2 bumper. I was originally on the group buy for the first one last fall, and like many others, had significant issues with the install. I ended up selling that first one to another member to cover the payment on the Aggressor 2. Updates should come on that soon and hopefully it will be on before C5Fest

Last edited by dorfmac; 06-28-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #24
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Turns out the Aggressor II bumper wasn't shipped in time for a pre-C5Fest install as it arrived last Friday when I was in Indy. Hopefully will get started on that sometime in the next two weeks.

While I was out at Fest, I had AAC do some work .... errr... fix their work from last year when I had them install a full underbody lighting system. It stopped working last October, and of course, the warranty and repair of their products doesn't extend to their approved installers list, so my choices were to either ship my car down to New Orleans (NOT) or have them take care of it at C5Fest, which is what I had them do. In between October and now, however, I did take my control box to them in person while I was visiting New Orleans. Tiffanie helped me out when I was there and wasn't very friendly or customer-oriented, which was only a preview to C5Fest when I had to talk to her. While I was waiting for them to fix their work, numerous other people came up to them to let them know that stuff they had installed the day before at C5Fest was not working properly. Now that I have the underbody lighting fixed, I hope to never interact with anyone from AAC again as their products are inferior, overpriced, and their customer service is absolutely terrible.

On the plus side, it does look good.... until it breaks again, at least!

Name:  Camaro copy.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  140.4 KB
Old 08-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #25
Eric-MPD1.com

Drives: Cool parts for cool cars
Looks good Mac. It was a pleasure visiting with you and Jenn

Also thank you for displaying your car in the MPD1 booth at C5 fest
www.mpd1.com
eric.mpd1@gmail.com
Eric-MPD1.com is offline   Reply With Quote