Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
DriveItLikeYouStoleIt

Drives: 2011 SS
Need a tune or not

Hey guys, I currently only have a Borla S-type on my L99 and am thinking about switching. I am thinking about putting on the Kooks full racing system which is full system with LT and no cats. I also just bought a Vararam No-tune. I think that is all I am going to do to the car but I was wondering if I would need to tune it for this? I know if I do tune I would get more power and everything else but the car has under 10k miles and I would like to hold onto the warranty.

I know the ECM can handle some more flow but at what point is it too much and it going to run too lean? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.
DriveItLikeYouStoleIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYouStoleIt View Post
Hey guys, I currently only have a Borla S-type on my L99 and am thinking about switching. I am thinking about putting on the Kooks full racing system which is full system with LT and no cats. I also just bought a Vararam No-tune. I think that is all I am going to do to the car but I was wondering if I would need to tune it for this? I know if I do tune I would get more power and everything else but the car has under 10k miles and I would like to hold onto the warranty.

I know the ECM can handle some more flow but at what point is it too much and it going to run too lean? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Without a tune you will get a cel at somepoint. Also, without a tune you'll be leaving some rwhp on the table with the headers. I don't think it's gonna run to lean. Just the light and less power. How much I can't tell you.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
DriveItLikeYouStoleIt

Is there a way to keep the CEL from coming on?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Is there a way to keep the CEL from coming on?
Nope. At least not to my knowledge. If you ever find one you'll be everyone's favorite C5 member.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Tampa Tuning
Like us on Facebook!

Drives: C5 Corvette/ 2010 Camaro
Tampa Tuning Camaro Corvette CTS-v GTO GM Trucks performance tuning

Like SSS said,
It will be a matter of time before you throw a check engine light. That's more of a PITA of having to reset it, than an overal performance issue. You're going to have a pretty loud car with the borla's and headers and some real nice drone when your car drops to DoD mode.

You added about $2500 in bolt ons for more performance, the tune is only $300 more which will greatly enhance your modifications.

www.TampaTuning.com
Phil

Read this :
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...20#post7838320

www.TampaTuning.com
Camaro Corvette CTS GTO Tuner Tampa Orlando Bradenton
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
DriveItLikeYouStoleIt

It is not the price of the tune that bothers me. It is the loss of warranty. I haven't had the car that long and bought it used. I want to wait like 10k miles before I void my warranty to make sure th car is solid.

I know a lot about ECMs and communication protocols including CAN, which is what vehicles use. I'm trying to figure out a way to modify the ECM without voiding the warranty. I have a couple ideas but I need to test them out on a different ECM first.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
It is not the price of the tune that bothers me. It is the loss of warranty. I haven't had the car that long and bought it used. I want to wait like 10k miles before I void my warranty to make sure th car is solid.

I know a lot about ECMs and communication protocols including CAN, which is what vehicles use. I'm trying to figure out a way to modify the ECM without voiding the warranty. I have a couple ideas but I need to test them out on a different ECM first.
Long tubes mean you touch the emissions equipment which in theory will have already voided the warranty. Technically. The warranty deal is a whole other debate.:

The ECM flash counter will catch you as soon as you make a single change. You're busted right there.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #8
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Definitely get the tune, you want all the rwhp, my warranty was gone with less than 100 miles when my SS went right to Jannettys and it was all well worth it
Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
JRT

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Long tubes mean you touch the emissions equipment which in theory will have already voided the warranty. Technically. The warranty deal is a whole other debate.:

The ECM flash counter will catch you as soon as you make a single change. You're busted right there.
My understanding is that the Camaro does not have a counter. If GM were to pull the tune they can verify the checksum of that tune and tell if it is a stock flash or not, but they do not count each time a tune is uploaded to the car.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
danielblack60

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3, 1998 K1500 5spd
There's a chance you will throw a p0068 (map/maf correlation code) flowing that much air with the stock tune, possibly some lean fuel trim codes, and the catalyst efficiency codes. I would bolt them on and give it a try. The only code that would really bother me would be the p0068. If your car throws this code you WILL know it. Not only does it kick the cel on but it puts the car in reduced engine power mode, but it doesn't damage anything.

May want to wait for a few more professional tuners to chime in. But I don't see how it could hurt anything leaving the stock tune file on it, as sensitive as these knock sensors are you shouldn't have to worry about engine damage due to lean conditions.

Again, I'm not a pro at tuning so you may want to ask some people who do this stuff for a living.

*2010 1SS, hennessey cold air intake, SW long tubes, catless midpipes, flowmaster catback, 3.91's, trailing arms, custom tune with HP tuning software. 12.144 @ 114MPH

*1998 Chevrolet K1500, 6' superlift, 35' pro-comp tires, cammed 355ci with forged internals, 4.56 gears, eaton locker, k&n cold air intake, shortie headers, custom tune with Hp tuning software. SOON TO BE TRADED IN TO A 2014 GMC SIERRA!
danielblack60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
IPF-Tuning

Drives: 2012 Camaro LFX - IPF Supercharged
IPF Tuning has a Tune for your Car with your mods and it does not affect the Warranty, it's undetected.

Let me know if you are interested and I will hook you up!

Thanks,

Jesse!
IPF-Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPF-Tuning View Post
IPF Tuning has a Tune for your Car with your mods and it does not affect the Warranty, it's undetected.

Thanks,

Jesse!
How do you get around the flash counter?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:

Thanks,

Jesse!
Are you guys willing to guarantee that your tune is undetectable by GM?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
danielblack60

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Are you guys willing to guarantee that your tune is undetectable by GM?
Apparently not haha...

*2010 1SS, hennessey cold air intake, SW long tubes, catless midpipes, flowmaster catback, 3.91's, trailing arms, custom tune with HP tuning software. 12.144 @ 114MPH

*1998 Chevrolet K1500, 6' superlift, 35' pro-comp tires, cammed 355ci with forged internals, 4.56 gears, eaton locker, k&n cold air intake, shortie headers, custom tune with Hp tuning software. SOON TO BE TRADED IN TO A 2014 GMC SIERRA!
Old 10-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
Wow.to make a claim like that and can't back it up,makes me wonder about ur products.
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
goshawk823

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:

Thanks,

Jesse!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
danielblack60

Maybe he's talking about one of these

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349196784.544372.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  14.6 KB