Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

1st & 2nd Generation Camaros 1967-1969 Camaros / 1970-1981 Camaro

Old 09-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
BDA

Drives: GMC Acadia, F250
68 shell should i buy?

I found a 68 shell, body looks good but paint is stripped.
Rolling chasis
No engine or tranny
Missing all interior
No steering column
Whats it worth??
BDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
BDA

Vin Is
123378L313084

Thanks for the help - I am only aspiring to be a Camaro guy
Old 09-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
BDA

I found the vin # chart
Looks like it was originally a 6 cyl

So any ideas on worth?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
arod55
AROD55

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS/55 Chevy Bel Aire
First thing you look for on old cars is rust, and how bad it is. If the body is a good shape and might be a goodi project car. It can get very expensive replacing sheet metal and the cost associated doing the restoration. The bottom line is you can built it to your liking and keep it stock or modify it so it more fun to drive.
arod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
What are they asking?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
BDA

The only rust is at the bottom of the wndshield rest is clean
He wants $5000
Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
arod55
AROD55

$5000. Sounds good post some pictures, and make sure you get under the car and look for rust.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
You'll get murdered buying every tiny interior and front end part that's missing. Unless you can find a cheap parts car with a rusted body I'd say it aint worth it and find something more complete.
Synner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Offer 2000 and see where it goes.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
It depends on what you're gonna do with it.
Restoring to original would be worthless.
Tribute SS or Z28 might break even.
Pro Touring LSX is where its at right now.....you'd spend $30K but get $55K

In either case, get ready to spend at least $25K.

69s fetch more money......
69 with LS3+6sp+12 bolt=$70K

I think the best approach nowadays is find a totally terrible car.....buy a whole new body and do a tag swap.......body work is expensive....and they never get it totally right.......finished metal is easy to paint.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Make a deal for it now before someone with more money than Bill Gates or Warren Buffet comes along and pays stupid money for it.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
$5,000 for a stripped out shell is WAY to much
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #13
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Offer 2000 and see where it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
It depends on what you're gonna do with it.
Restoring to original would be worthless.
Tribute SS or Z28 might break even.
Pro Touring LSX is where its at right now.....you'd spend $30K but get $55K

In either case, get ready to spend at least $25K.

69s fetch more money......
69 with LS3+6sp+12 bolt=$70K

I think the best approach nowadays is find a totally terrible car.....buy a whole new body and do a tag swap.......body work is expensive....and they never get it totally right.......finished metal is easy to paint.
This guy knows what he is talking about.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
BDA

Thanks guys, that confirms my thoughts

I am not looking to make money on it, just build the cruiser i have always wanted.

Just dont want to get taken

Offered 3000 - nogo
Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
fielderLS3

Drives: 02 Alero, 2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm not an expert by any means, but $5000 for an empty shell, particularly a 6-cylinder model empty shell (i.e. not a shell of a rare, sought after model, as in a VIN# without any unique potential value) seems like way too much. I've seen/heard of people buying entire project cars that still run and drive for less.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
speedmon

Ya know......$5K is kinda market price for a rusted roller 68. The same for a 69 is 8K-10K......which is why people are just starting to buy total trash for the VIN title.....usually around 1K.

Then they just buy a new body and everything is spray and bolt-on...easy peasy....The sheet metal is a bit thinner, but once its painted nobody can tell.

You can buy a new trim tag....with whatever codes you want....they counterfeit just about everything these days....

I like the pro touring (where did that name come from?) because you can buy some great stuff out of the box. GM has an LS3 "connect and cruise" for $11K....engine and trans with warranty......
If I do another one, thats the route I'll go.

I saw a BS metallic apple green truck yesterday go for $72K at BarrettJackson....$3K (el cheapo) crate motor (heads were painted to look like aluminum).....the guy maybe had 25K in the truck....crazy price.
So it depends on what you want to do.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I'd pay $5k for a shell if it was a rare model with most of the original parts. Regular 68 Camaros are generally not worth that much even with the motor and tranny. Just saw a 67 Camaro running good primered, and bad interior for sale for $6k. 350 motor in it.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
We have a customers 69 SS clone with a built 350, built trans and FTI converter and new interior and paint for $20K if you want a Gen 1 Camaro...black w/white stripes and balck interior.

Let me know & I can post pics if interested, but 5k for a 6 cyl shell is alot.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
speedmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
We have a customers 69 SS clone with a built 350, built trans and FTI converter and new interior and paint for $20K if you want a Gen 1 Camaro...black w/white stripes and balck interior.

Let me know & I can post pics if interested, but 5k for a 6 cyl shell is alot.

Thats not a bad deal if its good condition.......can't build it for that.
Can you post some pics or a link?
Does it have AC?
What kind of Diff?
Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
blue89bird

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 68 Camaro
Quote:
Also very illegal in most places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
Make a deal for it now before someone with more money than Bill Gates or Warren Buffet comes along and pays stupid money for it.
Disagree x5000. That's WAY WAY to expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod55 View Post
$5000. Sounds good post some pictures, and make sure you get under the car and look for rust.
5k is a BAD deal, that's a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
$5,000 for a stripped out shell is WAY to much
Correct!

Quote:
Ya know......$5K is kinda market price for a rusted roller 68. The same for a 69 is 8K-10K......which is why people are just starting to buy total trash for the VIN title.....usually around 1K.

Then they just buy a new body and everything is spray and bolt-on...easy peasy....The sheet metal is a bit thinner, but once its painted nobody can tell.

You can buy a new trim tag....with whatever codes you want....they counterfeit just about everything these days....

I like the pro touring (where did that name come from?) because you can buy some great stuff out of the box. GM has an LS3 "connect and cruise" for $11K....engine and trans with warranty......
If I do another one, thats the route I'll go.

I saw a BS metallic apple green truck yesterday go for $72K at BarrettJackson....$3K (el cheapo) crate motor (heads were painted to look like aluminum).....the guy maybe had 25K in the truck....crazy price.
So it depends on what you want to do.
So illegal I don't even know where to begin, not to mention unethical. And saying that nobody can tell once it's painted is completely incorrect. There are a ton of giveaways that tell a repro body from an original one.

5k isn't really market price either for a rusted out shell. It's about double what you should pay.

There's a lot of bad advise in this thread. 5k for a shell is a bad deal, there is much better available for the money.

You're pretty much going to end up spending 20-25k for body work and paint IF you can find a good shop to do it. Realistically you're going to end up with at least 1 shop taking some money from you and your car sitting there for a while with nothing being done. Sometimes it's 2 shops, its just what happens. You're also going to need 5-8k for a completely stock interior assuming there's not much there to salvage. You WILL have at least 30-35k into it when you're all said and done, and if you had to sell it would be lucky to lose 5k on it.

You'd be far ahead of the game to buy something like this: http://www.mikescustomcars.com/69bodies.htm#
or this:
http://www.musclecarmetal.com/refurb.htm

and building from that. It's all new metal, it's got an original GM Vin and trim tag, and you know it's rust free.

Don't listen to me...I'm in the process of restoring a 68 Camaro for the last 5 years and have been through and seen it all.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #21
speedmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue89bird View Post
Also very illegal in most places.

Disagree x5000. That's WAY WAY to expensive.

5k is a BAD deal, that's a lot of money.

Correct!

So illegal I don't even know where to begin, not to mention unethical. And saying that nobody can tell once it's painted is completely incorrect. There are a ton of giveaways that tell a repro body from an original one.
Done every day...title is abstract, its not physical. To think otherwise is just naive. The last time I was at Classic Industries (the largest classic repro retailer) two guys were taking delivery of 69 bodies....The sales guy said they sell 15 to 20 per month! Where do you think those cars go? Dragstrip? Hell no. They end up on Ebay, autotrader, and BarretJackson as Frame off restos.

To the OP want some really good advice? Buy, don't build if you want a classic.
I got a really nice 73 SS I'm negotiating on right now......Its all done....guy has like $25K into it........he'll take 10K.....I offered him 9K and he's thinking.
But that car with an LS3 and AC will do $35K at auction.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #22
blue89bird

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 68 Camaro
Quote:
Done every day...title is abstract, its not physical. To think otherwise is just naive. The last time I was at Classic Industries (the largest classic repro retailer) two guys were taking delivery of 69 bodies....The sales guy said they sell 15 to 20 per month! Where do you think those cars go? Dragstrip? Hell no. They end up on Ebay, autotrader, and BarretJackson as Frame off restos.

To the OP want some really good advice? Buy, don't build if you want a classic.
I got a really nice 73 SS I'm negotiating on right now......Its all done....guy has like $25K into it........he'll take 10K.....I offered him 9K and he's thinking.
But that car with an LS3 and AC will do $35K at auction.
Just because you can get away with it doesn't make it any less illegal. When you buy a "new" dynacorn body, it comes with an MSO that you can register and get a state issued vin. If you put a old gm vin on it you're violating a ton of federal and likely state laws.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #23
speedmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue89bird View Post
Just because you can get away with it doesn't make it any less illegal. When you buy a "new" dynacorn body, it comes with an MSO that you can register and get a state issued vin. If you put a old gm vin on it you're violating a ton of federal and likely state laws.
I stopped being judgemental about process many years back......
I don't know that it is illegal but if it was it is totally unenforceable.
From a restorer's point of view, which is driven by time and cost to get to value and profit, it is infinitely easier and faster to drill out two tags and swap to a new body, than it is to
1. Media blast
2. Cut out rust
3. Fabricate new areas
4. Finish (They never get it 100% correct)
To repair can take months and $1000's whereas it only takes 2 hours to swap tags.
And there are no VIN tag police inspecting restos......

And from a buyer's standpoint, I think I would rather have all new formed metal than welded patches and filler.

The industry is driven by cost and profit.....which is again why Pro Touring creations are in more demand than #matching restos......just too much counterfeiting going on.....difficult to authenticate.

That and I'm also seeing buyers do want the classic cars, but with latest technology....fuel injection, good AC, push button start, nav, bluetooth, etc.

Case in point
At BJ today...this 71 went for $41k. LS drivetrain (cheapo one like $5K total from a G4 camaro) and a very weak attempt at a split bumper.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...ln=345&aid=465

In comparison an authentic 70 1/2 resto would struggle to fetch 30K but would cost 40K to restore.

Illegal or not buyers drive what restorers produce.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #24
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
blue89bird has some good input here....would listen to him. We have been restoring classic muscle for over 38 years and VIN's and trim tags are crucial. The lasy 69 I sold was a true DZ 302 Z28 roller....and it was rough but got top dollar in less than 1/2 day on ebay.

Here is the one we did a few years back for a customer that he wants $20k for. It looks awesome from 20' but it is far from a concourse show car...it is a good looking tuff/fast street car that shows well.

Fast as heck...built 350 with stall converter and built trans. Interior is all new, but not 100% perfect. (carpet and all, including headliner).

He spent over $25 k just on the restoration and drivetrain but is in a finincial jam so it wont last long:

This has not been advertised yet and this post is the first.

On the bare bodies, those are Dynacorn shells and you can title them as they come with a certificate of orign.

This car is a true 69 care.

Oh, we can add AC for app $2k.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #25
arod55
AROD55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
blue89bird has some good input here....would listen to him. We have been restoring classic muscle for over 38 years and VIN's and trim tags are crucial. The lasy 69 I sold was a true DZ 302 Z28 roller....and it was rough but got top dollar in less than 1/2 day on ebay.

Here is the one we did a few years back for a customer that he wants $20k for. It looks awesome from 20' but it is far from a concourse show car...it is a good looking tuff/fast street car that shows well.

Fast as heck...built 350 with stall converter and built trans. Interior is all new, but not 100% perfect. (carpet and all, including headliner).

He spent over $25 k just on the restoration and drivetrain but is in a finincial jam so it wont last long:

This has not been advertised yet and this post is the first.

On the bare bodies, those are Dynacorn shells and you can title them as they come with a certificate of orign.

This car is a true 69 care.

Oh, we can add AC for app $2k.
That is a great price, I would snap it up in a minute if I lived closer. I had a chance to buy a 67 RS a while back and there asking price was $27,000 but remember this is California.