Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
spacecowby

Drives: 2010 black 2SS/RS
Catastrophic engine failure!!!!

So about a week ago I started my car for work and on the DIC a message came up saying "low oil pressure. Shut engine down" So I turned it off and called a tow truck. Guy at the shop said the oil pump most likely went out no big deal, replace the pump and good to go. As he is digging around fixing stuff he calls me and says thier are metal shaving in the oil pan and then starts asking me about who did my cam? Garage job or professional? Stufff like that. I tell them it was done professionally, not an aggressive cam etc... He said he thinkins the shaving are from the rods and that the metal shavings probably built up over time in the oil pump and caused it to fail. I never noticed any low oil pressure before. He said I will basically need a new engine. Does this sound right? Mods for the car are LT headers, 229/236 112 LSA cam, new springs, new rods, K&N intake with 16,000 miles. Any answers will help.

Black cars are not hobbies, they are an obsession
spacecowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
JRT

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Oh shit that sucks!

I don't have any advice to offer you, but I am sure one of these guys will. Have you seen the shavings, do you trust this guy, did you hear any tapping or knocking?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Most likely this is the case unfortunately but I would make sure you get to see all of the internals and see the damage yourself.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Cam installs not going to hurt the rods, Not sure how you would get shavings from the rods unless they rubbed the block, I think I would take it to a different shop.

Edit: Are you talking about the connecting rods or the push rods?
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Steve@HPE

Drives: 2014 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecowby View Post
So about a week ago I started my car for work and on the DIC a message came up saying "low oil pressure. Shut engine down" So I turned it off and called a tow truck. Guy at the shop said the oil pump most likely went out no big deal, replace the pump and good to go. As he is digging around fixing stuff he calls me and says thier are metal shaving in the oil pan and then starts asking me about who did my cam? Garage job or professional? Stufff like that. I tell them it was done professionally, not an aggressive cam etc... He said he thinkins the shaving are from the rods and that the metal shavings probably built up over time in the oil pump and caused it to fail. I never noticed any low oil pressure before. He said I will basically need a new engine. Does this sound right? Mods for the car are LT headers, 229/236 112 LSA cam, new springs, new rods, K&N intake with 16,000 miles. Any answers will help.
I doubt the cam installation had anything to do with it, particularly if you've had the cam in for 1000+ miles. If it's not the oil pump, then you likely spun a main or rod bearing and will need to rebuild the motor. Did you notice any knocking sounds or smoke before the warning light?

If not, it may be worth having him replace the oil pump, flush the motor and put new oil in. If you get the warning again shut it down and have the moto rebuilt.
Steve@HPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
spacecowby

He didn't specify which type of rods. I have had the cam in for well over 1000+ plus miles. I didn't notice any knocking sounds or anything out of the ordinary, but to be honest my car is pretty loud and I honestly wouldn't know what to listen for. As far as another shop is concerned I am in Hawaii and performance shops out here are close to none.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #7
Eli

Drives: 2011 Convertible SS/RS M6
not to argue semantics but it may be personally catastrophic for you, but i dont think that is what most wold call a catastrophic engine failure. I need flying metal chuncks and holes in blocks or broken rods or the like to call it catastrophic
Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
[QUOTE=spacecowby;5597461] I honestly wouldn't know what to listen for. [QUOTE]

Trust me, if the engine was knocking you would know.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #9
spacecowby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
not to argue semantics but it may be personally catastrophic for you, but i dont think that is what most wold call a catastrophic engine failure. I need flying metal chuncks and holes in blocks or broken rods or the like to call it catastrophic
Maybe not catastrophic to the engine you're right. But it will be to my wallet.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
I think that guys is just trying to get outta having to give you a new oil pump. This is a GM dealership correct?
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #11
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
I heard from a respected local shop you especially want to go with a better oil pump on the 2010 Camaros with a cam! Yikes sorry to hear about your issue. I'd be sick to my stomach
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
spacecowby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I think that guys is just trying to get outta having to give you a new oil pump. This is a GM dealership correct?
No it is not at al dealership. I will be heading to the shop today to have a look at it.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
I know a guy that had shavings all over inside his 19eightyX mustang block. He had to take the block apart and clean it all out, but did not have to rebuild a damn thing.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If you don't trust what the shop is telling you, why is it there?

Have them show you where the shavings came from, the condition of the rod and main bearings, cut the oil filter open, perform a leakdown test...

Looking at the bearings while the pan is off, a leak down test, the filter media... will help determine how much engine damage is there.

Valve covers and front timing covers should be off looking the condition of the timing gear set, valve springs, rockers, pushrods...

Diagnose where the shavings came from, how much is damaged... and go from there.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote