Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #86
emsguy

Drives: 2012 2ss convertible
I want to control the mail slot scanner from inside the car. Would like to use one of your remotes instead of running wires into interior.

Would one of your remotes work? Which one?

Thanks
emsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #87
Agent Iroquois

Drives: 1992 firebird convert
Hey guys. This looks awesome! I have to be honest, I bought a new camaro because of the uk scanning light. I have had scanning lights on two of my firebirds growing up. I am saddened though because I have had nothing but problems with my uk light!!!

The only critique I have (and its a pretty large one in my mind) is the transitions are soooo blocky. I say this with no disrespect and I hope it doesn't come off that way.

I really wish they were smoother.
Agent Iroquois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:31 PM   #88
Agent Iroquois

Drives: 1992 firebird convert
Sorry...that want clear. I meant this unit. I wish this product didn't look so blocky in its transitions
Agent Iroquois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #89
ckcamaro
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: Malibu.camaro/
law

sorry guys theblue.red,yellow lights are not legal anything that resembles emergency lighting!
ckcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #90
Haole
My K9 partner and me

Drives: 10 IOM SS
Blue and red are illegal (while vehicle is moving, not while parked) at least in Hawaii. Other than that states vary on other colors. I know yellow is fine here in Hawaii.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #91
Medic726

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Yellow Auto
Depends on your state and what you use them for. Your statement is a blanket statement that dont apply everywhere. For instance I have blue and white for use as a first response vehicle. I was told by local pd yellow or white is fine in Illinois on the front for a regular car so long as its not flashing.
Medic726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #92
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
If solid (not flashing) white LEDs on the front of the car is ever considered illegal, someone needs to send Audi a hefty fine
Old 10-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #93
Jonathan@AACstyle.com

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsguy View Post
I want to control the mail slot scanner from inside the car. Would like to use one of your remotes instead of running wires into interior.

Would one of your remotes work? Which one?

Thanks
The scanner has a IR eye right in the middle of the scanner so unfortunately you are not able to use the remote from the inside of the car but you can wire the scanner to a "kill switch" on the inside of your car so when the switch is turned on the scanner goes back to the same function it was on when you last turned it on.
Jonathan@AACstyle.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #94
emsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan@AACstyle.com View Post
The scanner has a IR eye right in the middle of the scanner so unfortunately you are not able to use the remote from the inside of the car but you can wire the scanner to a "kill switch" on the inside of your car so when the switch is turned on the scanner goes back to the same function it was on when you last turned it on.
thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't talking about the remote that comes with the light bar.

you sell three types of remotes: 4 channel, multifunction, and colorshift. I was wondering if I could wire the light bar to one of those so that I can turn the light bar on and off from inside the car without running wires through the firewall. I know that I won't be able to switch the patterns or use all of the functions of the light bar remote. I don't need to do that. Basically, I just want to replace the "kill switch" with one of your remotes. Will it work? Which one should I get?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #95
04GOAT-11SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 2004 GTO
I'm thinking about getting this in blue but hesitant to put a switch somewhere in my car. Google came to the rescue. You can get a cheap 12v remote control switch like a key fob for $15. Wire that in and no wiring needed inside the cab and no need for drilling or cutting up the interior.

Does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like with the nightshade?
04GOAT-11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #96
emsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GOAT-11SS View Post
I'm thinking about getting this in blue but hesitant to put a switch somewhere in my car. Google came to the rescue. You can get a cheap 12v remote control switch like a key fob for $15. Wire that in and no wiring needed inside the cab and no need for drilling or cutting up the interior.

Does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like with the nightshade?
this is exactly what I wanted to do. do you have a website address for the seller? thanks. let us know how it comes out.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:06 PM   #97
04GOAT-11SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 2004 GTO
PM sent with link. For anyone else interested.. If you do a Google search for "12V remote control" a couple different vendors come up with inexpensive kits.
04GOAT-11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #98
Jonathan@AACstyle.com

Unfortunately the scanner uses a different remote system than the four channel, multifunction remote, etc. and they will not work with the scanner because of the functions that are available.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #99
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan@AACstyle.com View Post
Unfortunately the scanner uses a different remote system than the four channel, multifunction remote, etc. and they will not work with the scanner because of the functions that are available.
Can the 4 channel remote be used as the "kill switch"?

Lupe

Visit www.camarocustoms.com for all our products and services...like us on Facebook.....check out photo albums here for lots of pics and ideas
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #100
Jonathan@AACstyle.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhaulengines View Post
Can the 4 channel remote be used as the "kill switch"?

Lupe
I do not know of anyone that has tried this but I do not see any reason that it would not work as your "kill switch".
Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #101
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Installed mine finally... here's a vid
Old 10-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #102
emsguy

04goat-11ss was right on the money. great tip. thanks.

I got the scanner in blue, and the remote control 12v relay from amazon.com. took about 1 hr to install. that includes soldering all joints and applying heat shrinking tubing to all the joints.

the hardest part was removing the metal plate between the front of the car and the radiator support.

no need to post a picture. looks like all the rest. works great from in the car, in front of the car, in back of the car . . .

haven't used it yet on the road responding to a call. for all of you first responders out there, I will let you know if the civilians notice it as soon as we get a call.

BTW - 04goat-11ss: I grew up on Long Island. where are you?