Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
AIminiS10
 
AIminiS10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 - #1564
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, PA
Posts: 233
Cooler weather = great drag times

So, I went down to Cecil County Raceway to get some runs in on a Wednesday night. My goal was a 12.1 around 118 mph.

My ZL1 is bone stock including factory Goodyears. I have raced it quite a few times now and was getting 12.6-12.8's in warmer weather. Last night was about 55 degrees and a DA of about 545 ft.

Best time slip was: 12.07 @ 120
Best mph slip was: 12.19 @ 121

Goal is 11's all stock and I know it has it in her. PGM 5 was useless for launching. I had to do it the old fashioned way and use skill. PGM 5 is good, but it isn't consistent like GM says it is.

Below is the best time slip:



and a quick shot staged taken from a buddy:

__________________


2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 #1546
1969 Chevy Chevelle
2000 Honda CBR 929rr
AIminiS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
2010 SSRS



 
2010 SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 123,973
your ZL1 looks awesome, cool air is definitely so much better, congrats
__________________
Jannetty Racing JRE Street Package
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,512
Very Nice... Thanks for posting.

Auto or Manual?
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
DanSS24

 
DanSS24's Avatar
 
Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: 808
Posts: 892
awesome times and great job. no disrespect, but who cares what the trolls says. This is awesome news considering it's bone stock.
__________________
I'd rather chase speeders and bad guys with a Z/28 than my R/T Charger
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,512
That makes you #1 on the ZL1 bone stock fast list...

Post up over here and get on the list...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1429
Size:  39.0 KB
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Blown355
 
Blown355's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 715
Wow, that's a great time!! Congrats!!
Took my car to the track last Friday night, unfortunately it was rained out. 70 degrees when I got there.
__________________
2012 ZL1 #1092
Black on Black
10 spoke
M6
ECF

Mods: 9.55 lower pulley, Kooks LT w/cats, FIC850's, hx, CAI
"Race" Tune - 645rwhp/635rwtq
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
AIminiS10
 
AIminiS10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 - #1564
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, PA
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
your ZL1 looks awesome, cool air is definitely so much better, congrats
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Very Nice... Thanks for posting.

Auto or Manual?
I love dragging this thing and the tires are holding up better than I thought they would. I have about 30 passes on them so far.

Manual trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
The ford trolls are not going to like this one bit.
There was a '13 gt500 there but his best time was a 12.4. I don't know how his driving skill was. Another guy was there with a '12 5.0 auto and running 12.44's bone stock. I was very impressed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSS24 View Post
awesome times and great job. no disrespect, but who cares what the trolls says. This is awesome news considering it's bone stock.
I am really trying for 11's bone stock since people say it can't be done. The mph is there for it. Another guy was there with a benz running 11.80's at 118 which was really impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
That makes you #1 on the ZL1 bone stock fast list...

Post up over here and get on the list...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

Attachment 424500
Sweet, I looked for this list and never found it. Thanks for the link!
__________________


2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 #1546
1969 Chevy Chevelle
2000 Honda CBR 929rr
AIminiS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
2012 IngotSilver 5.0
FIVE.OH
 
2012 IngotSilver 5.0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
The ford trolls are not going to like this one bit.
I drive a Ford, and I'm no troll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIminiS10 View Post
So, I went down to Cecil County Raceway to get some runs in on a Wednesday night ...

Best time slip was: 12.07 @ 120
Best mph slip was: 12.19 @ 121
Good Job!

I'm happy to see the ZL1's are running as fast as they should.
__________________
2012 Ingot Silver 5.0
Base/Stick
2012 IngotSilver 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIminiS10 View Post
Manual trans
Dang I'm glad to see M6... maybe there's hope for me yet...


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 IngotSilver 5.0 View Post
I drive a Ford, and I'm no troll.



Good Job!

I'm happy to see the ZL1's are running as fast as they should.
You are absolutely right, you and a whole bunch of others are not.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #10
big dave
 
Drives: '13 BRM ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 289
It's about time these cars start running what they should. I knew it would happen once the cooler weather came in. Gotta luv that mph too. No doubt an 11 second car with a little better 60' and possibly some better air.

I don't think the GT500s are really concerned about the ZL's in the 1/4. It really isn't even a contest...nor should it be. The hp/weight advantage the GT500 has is just too much to overcome.

Either way, both cars are extremely fast...and probably a bit too much hp for the average driver to handle...
__________________
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.74 @ 120.14 factory stock! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.59@121.4 with Roto Fab
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs

'94 Z28 A4. 13.64 @ 100.1 stock. 11.71 @ 117 h/c

'99 SS M6. 13.28 @ 105 stock. 12.02 @ 116.5 bolt-ons on street tires. Full weight. New combo 10.94 @ 126.9 n/a full weight on et streets. .http://youtu.be/BCJNFJrp2lg
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
AIminiS10
 
AIminiS10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 - #1564
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, PA
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by big dave View Post
It's about time these cars start running what they should. I knew it would happen once the cooler weather came in. Gotta luv that mph too. No doubt an 11 second car with a little better 60' and possibly some better air.

I don't think the GT500s are really concerned about the ZL's in the 1/4. It really isn't even a contest...nor should it be. The hp/weight advantage the GT500 has is just too much to overcome.

Either way, both cars are extremely fast...and probably a bit too much hp for the average driver to handle...
Finding the sweet spot for launching this thing is a pain. I started to get it last night but it was getting late and I had an hour drive home. I want to go down with a little better air and see what I can do.
__________________


2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 #1546
1969 Chevy Chevelle
2000 Honda CBR 929rr
AIminiS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
big dave
 
Drives: '13 BRM ZL1
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 289
Well you're very fortunate to be on the East Coast, and to be so close to some of the best tracks around. I normally wait til December to go to the track to try for new bests. Nothing beats -1500' da.
__________________
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.74 @ 120.14 factory stock! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.59@121.4 with Roto Fab
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs

'94 Z28 A4. 13.64 @ 100.1 stock. 11.71 @ 117 h/c

'99 SS M6. 13.28 @ 105 stock. 12.02 @ 116.5 bolt-ons on street tires. Full weight. New combo 10.94 @ 126.9 n/a full weight on et streets. .http://youtu.be/BCJNFJrp2lg
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
b_williams_82

 
b_williams_82's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 #142
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NM
Posts: 759
What RPM were you launching at? And we're you gradually getting on the throttle to avoid slipping? My local track hasn't been open since I've had mine!
__________________
Order # QHQWJF
Current Status: 4200 VIN 142

1100, (04/25/12): 2000, (05/21/12): 2500, (5/22/12): 3000, (5/22/12): 3100, (5/31/12): 3300, (5/31/12): 3400, (6/7/2012): 3800, (6/15/2012): 4000, (6/15/2012): 4104, (6/15/2012): 4106, (6/19/2012): 4150, (6/19/2012), 4200, (7/16/2012), 4300, (7/18/2012), 4B00, (6/15/2012) , 5000, (7/25/2012)
6000, Delivered to the customer (8/2/2012)
b_williams_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIminiS10 View Post
Finding the sweet spot for launching this thing is a pain. I started to get it last night but it was getting late and I had an hour drive home. I want to go down with a little better air and see what I can do.
I'm all ears... did you use launch control or not. I know you used PTM5 but have you tried All Off yet?
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #15
firecross91
 
firecross91's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: WNY
Posts: 522
Going to the strip next Fri. Looking for nice air and low times. I do not have alot of dragracing experience but hope for descent 60' times.
firecross91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
jdsgn
 
Drives: 87 GN, 05 GTO
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cypress TX
Posts: 35
great ET and mph. Congrats and yes its good to see the car finally act like it has the 580 its rated at. A tiny bit better 60 ft and 11s are all yours, good luck.
jdsgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #17
C5RocksC5
Banned
 
C5RocksC5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sin City
Posts: 697
Man, you can flat out drive. Congrats on the great runs.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:49 PM   #18
2012 IngotSilver 5.0
FIVE.OH
 
2012 IngotSilver 5.0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You are absolutely right, you and a whole bunch of others are not.
Coming from a C5 Mod, that statement carries a lot of weight. Thank you sir!

I can't wait to see the slew of great ZL1 times as the cooler weather hits ...

Joebot, you ready to roll?
__________________
2012 Ingot Silver 5.0
Base/Stick
2012 IngotSilver 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #19
gearhead08
 
gearhead08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 gt500
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: destin fl
Posts: 177
pretty impressive. A couple more times and I bet you will break into the 11's congrats. That would be something to brag about for sure to be the first bone stock ZL1 in the 11's. That wasn't from Chevy that is.
gearhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #20
newmoon

 
newmoon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 5.0 Mustang, Brembo Track Pack
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 1,724
Great job....with E/T and MPH
__________________
Presently Car-Less
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2012 Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #21
Bob Cosby
 
Drives: 2010 Vette
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 572
That's definately more like it!

And gotta love Cecil County...easily one of the fastest tracks in the country, REGARDLESS of car make, model, or year!
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #22
AIminiS10
 
AIminiS10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 - #1564
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, PA
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_williams_82 View Post
What RPM were you launching at? And we're you gradually getting on the throttle to avoid slipping? My local track hasn't been open since I've had mine!
All traction control off. The sweet spot I found for conditions was about 3800 rpm. I didn't care about R/T because that doesn't matter in a test and tune night in which I wasn't running any heads up rounds. I personally hold the e-brake up to keep from rolling, hold throttle around 3800 rpm, when I am ready to go, I start slipping the clutch until it starts to bite and then release clutch (not drop it) and throttle accordingly to minimize wheel spin. It worked pretty well. I also do the no lift shift personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'm all ears... did you use launch control or not. I know you used PTM5 but have you tried All Off yet?
See above. I tried PTM5 and it doesn't work as well as chevy advertises. Like I said earlier, I have done about 25 or so passes and used PTM5 for some of the early runs and it worked decent but it wasn't consistent. I would get too much wheel spin or bog. It could never get a great launch hence why I got fed up with it and turned all modes off and did it old school. HAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdari View Post
Man, you can flat out drive. Congrats on the great runs.
Thanks, I consider myself a decent driver, but lots of room for improvement. I have drag raced quite a bit over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead08 View Post
pretty impressive. A couple more times and I bet you will break into the 11's congrats. That would be something to brag about for sure to be the first bone stock ZL1 in the 11's. That wasn't from Chevy that is.
That is my new goal since I hit below a lot of the published times for a 6mt. I think she can do it if I can get 1.8 or better 60'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
That's definately more like it!

And gotta love Cecil County...easily one of the fastest tracks in the country, REGARDLESS of car make, model, or year!
I love Cecil. It is one of the best tracks. Maple is great for prep and watching top fuel cars, but Cecil is the best track for times. Hopefully come October or early November there will be some negative DA days.
__________________


2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 #1546
1969 Chevy Chevelle
2000 Honda CBR 929rr
AIminiS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #23
AIminiS10
 
AIminiS10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 - #1564
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, PA
Posts: 233
I also weighed the car when I was at Beaver Springs a few weeks ago and this pig weighed in at 4210 lbs without me in it.
__________________


2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 #1546
1969 Chevy Chevelle
2000 Honda CBR 929rr
AIminiS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIminiS10 View Post
Goal is 11's all stock and I know it has it in her. PGM 5 was useless for launching. I had to do it the old fashioned way and use skill. PGM 5 is good, but it isn't consistent like GM says it is.
I am with you there on the launch control. I am trying to go around it. Could you help me with a question?. I am trying not to use LC. LC comes on in any mode of PTM. What settings are you using? I have tried to launch the car from a standing start in less than throttle to the floor with every mode of PTM on. The car cuts out and noses over when the tires stop spinning, then cuts back in...as if the fuel shuts off and back on. In LC when I floor it and hold it as described, the throttle holds to 4 grand and and launches normally through tire spin then full traction without issues as advertised. I can launch the car at any RPM only in Tour or Sport mode with no PTM mode selected. Can you tell me how you are launching yours? I am trying to determine whether or not I have a problem with the electronics in my PTM system. Thanks in advance.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #25
AIminiS10
 
AIminiS10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 - #1564
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, PA
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I am with you there on the launch control. I am trying to go around it. Could you help me with a question?. I am trying not to use LC. LC comes on in any mode of PTM. What settings are you using? I have tried to launch the car from a standing start in less than throttle to the floor with every mode of PTM on. The car cuts out and noses over when the tires stop spinning, then cuts back in...as if the fuel shuts off and back on. In LC when I floor it and hold it as described, the throttle holds to 4 grand and and launches normally through tire spin then full traction without issues as advertised. I can launch the car at any RPM only in Tour or Sport mode with no PTM mode selected. Can you tell me how you are launching yours? I am trying to determine whether or not I have a problem with the electronics in my PTM system. Thanks in advance.
What I have noticed with PTM 5 is that it does let wheel spin like Traction Control 5 but if the car starts to kick out, it kills power. I really thought it wasn't supposed to intervene at all on PTM5 other than hold the rpm for launch control and help limit wheel spin from a dig. I can't speak for PTM1-4 because I have never used them yet.

To turn the traction control completely off, you need to press and hold the "traction control" button for about 7-10 seconds. Once it is off completely, both lights will be on showing TC off and the slip light on. You will still have either "tour" or "sport" light on the buttons. This will show you that all systems are disabled.

That is how I turn it all off to launch. See my above post about the process I use for launching. Hope it helps!
__________________


2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 #1546
1969 Chevy Chevelle
2000 Honda CBR 929rr
AIminiS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.