Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
simt3k

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS 2LT
Affordable solution for rock chips on body and winter protection.

Alright so I bought my car used and it has always had these terrible rock chips I just bought GM Mud/Splash guards to help protect it. The dealer said I would have to have everything repainted and I am looking at "top dollar" to fix it...

Can this be taken to a place where it can be buffed or can I use rubbing compound it looks awful even on the gills I know this thread has been done over and over again but I don't want my car to rust come winter. Also what kind of wax should I use before the winter hits? I am driving this car all year round btw. Is there a type of wax I can use to fix this? Anything other than a repaint?
simt3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by simt3k View Post

Alright so I bought my car used and it has always had these terrible rock chips I just bought GM Mud/Splash guards to help protect it. The dealer said I would have to have everything repainted and I am looking at "top dollar" to fix it...

Can this be taken to a place where it can be buffed or can I use rubbing compound it looks awful even on the gills I know this thread has been done over and over again but I don't want my car to rust come winter. Also what kind of wax should I use before the winter hits? I am driving this car all year round btw. Is there a type of wax I can use to fix this? Anything other than a repaint?
Nope. Repaint is the only option. Either you get out there and do every one with touch up paint or you pay to get it re sprayed. You can't buff missing paint.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Juiced1
JUICED MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Call around some local body shops. Some might have a good touch up guy, get some quotes and see what you're up against. Dealers in general don't know much. But like CamaroDreams07 said....you can't buff missing paint.
Get more Power per Dollar!!!! We carry all the hot new products for your 5th gen! CAI, Roto-Fab, Solo, Corsa, MBRP, ARH, Stainless Works, MRT, SLP, Procharger, Whipple, BMR, Diablosport, Superchips, Street Scene, VFN Fiberglass and much more. Contact us for your Camaro5 discount today!
Call us at 224-63-JUICE - 224-400-5793
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
OHIO SPEED
Ohio-Speed.com

Drives: 2010 1LT v6 Twin Turbo
rock chips

simt3k i have tried alot of the major products to fix this problem and as stated repaint is your best option! I had my front clip repainted and i use a stretch bra for the front now. I think my gill area has been saved because i have the razzi side skirts and that stops the road debris from getting back there.

Performance Parts and Show Car Accessories
Email: ohiospeed2010camaro@windstream.net
Phone:440-813-2490
OHIO SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT
Touch up paint, until you can afford a repaint.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
You'll need touchup if you don't want to repaint. I hear Dr. Colorchip is nice.
nUcLeArEnVoY is online now   Reply With Quote