Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
DHSS

Drives: Empty
Grand Sport vs. ZL1 Camaro

I am all set to purchase a ZL1 this weekend, have agreed to figures on my trade-in and have decided to purchase another color since I cant find the Crystal Red Tintcoat. I still find myself wanting a grand sport because I love the 3311 lbs (800 less than ZL1) of the grand sport and the fact that you can take the top off (Coupe/targa top). Also, this new Race Blue metallic looks damn good with the GS with the chrome GS wheels. All the car magazines have the cars with the same 0-60 times. Guys that have had both, what the SOTP feeling difference between the two? Need some help asap as I am ready to trade my silverado for a sports car. I supercharge the GS if I decide to get it.

Thanks,
DH
DHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Corvettes are nice, but working on them is a nightmare, and the ZL1 is a beast in all aspects, engine and suspension.
You can't go wrong with either one.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
DHSS

Drives: Empty
Any comments???
DHSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
firecross91

Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
If you can afford to SC the GS you could put that money into a ZL1 and have one hell of a ZL1. For $5000 you can have 650 hp or for $11,000 you can have over 700 hp (price is for lingenfelter installed kits).
firecross91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
stock vs stock I don't feel a huge difference in the cars.

ZL1 is a little more friendly in terms of ground clearance IMO. mainly the little air damn unter the vetts that you have a hard time not scraping.

I like the feel of the handling of the ZL1 better. I like the my link unit better than the corvette units in terms of technology. easy I pod connectivity, bluetooth streaiming, backup camera, etc

the top comes of the grand sport which is cool and the milage is better.

the really is no bad choice I see people bash on these car's but from a drivers perspective I can't see it. they are fast and fun pick the one that suits you best.

as far as mods they can both be taken to 600-650whp very easy. You may be able to score a better deal on a gransport though. to me it boils to down to do you need a back seat, do you like the targa top. performance wise they are both really good.
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Both are good cars but don't forget that this is the last year for the vette as the body style is about to change. I've been in both and the ZL1 is the more comfortable ride IMO. The power feels about the same but I think the exhaust from the ZL1 sounds better. I've seen so many vettes in the last few years that I guess the looks are starting to wear on me a little but it's still a bad a** car. I can't see you not being satisfied with the purchase of either car so it boils down to what car better fits your lifestyle because they are completely different.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
GearheadSS
Member #63

Drives: Lots
Nothing wrong with either car. I love the GS too but it's not something I'd buy because of it's size and lack of space.

If I were going to buy a Vette though, I'd rather have a Z06.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
starhutch
THE RED ROCKER

Drives: 2013 ZL1 VR
Agree, redesign of the vette coming shortly. Honestly cant go wrong with either and boils down to your personal preference, I like the backseat in mine to take the kiddos with me for cruises.
starhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 2014 2ssrs,2013 zl1,67&69 allcoupes
If you can get a good price on the GS they are hard to beat. Saying that however they are no where near as comfortable as a CAMARO. If you are going to be driving it over 200 miles at a time regularly its CAMARO all the way. Handling wise the GS is probably going to win. Speed wise a stock GS is very close to a stock ZL1. If you supercharge the GS it will not even be close. If you spend the same 6 to 7 k on the ZL1 I am not sure you will get the same results. If you check out the corvetteonline forum you can see where Lingenfelter just put an edlebrock on a gs and what it puts down. ZL1 killer. That being said I still have a zl1 on order and am probably going to trade in the GS not the Camaro...The girls say the Corvette rides to rough. .. Family...
Old 09-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #10
FNBADAZ06

Drives: C6 Z06 Corvette
While I know that everyone has an opinion on comfort, but the Corvette is easily as comfortable as a Camaro. I take my C6 Z06 on trips where I cover 800+ miles in one day......easy drive even for my near 50 year old body. The only thing lacking in the Corvette seats is lack of support when driving the car hard......read HPDE or Auto-X, and NOT road driving, where you can't really generate big g's.

If you are s/c the GS, it will easily outrun the ZL1 while getting superior MPG.
Looks are subjective, but it's hard to outshine a widebody Vette with 12" wide factory wheels and some of the largest rear tires made tucked in the fenderwells.

If you need cargo space or rear seats to carry children, the ZL1 is your car.

Ultimately, you can't really go wrong with either car.

slow a$$ Corvette
FNBADAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
flyjbaker

Drives: none yet
All points made are good ones. I am in the EXACT same situation except I am going convertible. The biggest thing for me is the generation change coming up on the Vette. They will be unveiling the C7 at the Detroit Auto Show in January....and you will see vette prices tumble....along with the instant aging of your "Brand New" car. With that said and for that very reason, you should be able to pick up a very well optioned Z16 for $10-15k off of MSRP. I am looking at a 3lt centennial edition convertible with a sticker of $75k that I can get for $61k and change!!!! That is BELOW what I could get a ZL1 for although I have a dealer that calls me 3 times a day telling me they are ready to deal....he hasn't showed his hand yet though.

Another very big deal for me on the ZL1 is weight!!! Weight is the biggest enemy of performance. I had a 2002 ZO6 that pretty much matches the performance of the ZL1...that car is 10 years old now and has 175hp LESS!!! Weight does not have a linear effect like most people think(ie 10hp for every 100 pounds). There is more of a synergistic and compound effect. Not only do you need more power to overcome the weight, then you start getting into traction issues...etc. Anyway, I used to give modded Terminator Cobras(450rwhp...ish) fits with my stock 353rwhp ZO6. All they could do is shake their heads. My car weighed in at 3150 on HRP's scales. Anyway, my whole point being you have a VERY deep hole to climb out of when you are trying to mod a 4100+ pound car. To say it another way, the ZL1 is "slow" for a 580hp car...and I say that with respect.

One more knock on the ZL1 is aerodynamics. I was quite surprised to read the ZL1 had a drag coefficient of .40??? While base Corvette is at .28 and a ZO6 at .34. Some of that is to get proper downforce at speed. And a lot more of that is required for cooling....remember that "compounding effect" I was talking about??? You have all this power to move this beast and then you need cooling for all the heat generated which causes drag and slows the car!!!! Anyway, just something to think about although doesn't really bother me.

Sorry if i got a little wordy here.....this has been keeping me awake at night beacause I am trying to make this exact decision!!!

If you haven't seen it, check out this thread. These prices are only good for 2 more days so act quickly. That Carbon Flash centennial edition looks so damn good in person!!!.....and so does a murdered out blask ZL1!!!!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...w-pricing.html
flyjbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #12
BeardWS6

Drives: 01 WS6
I drove both, loved the GS. But once I drove the ZL1 you can see in my sig what I bought. I love it and very glad I bought. Already plan next month to add a couple 100 hp to her and be done. The ride quality, handling and room are awesome!! I bought with a sunroof to make me feel better about loosing the top..
Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
MarylandSpeed

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
C6 GS is a great car, but this is the last year, and they will be outdated soon. ZL1 all the way!

MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
flyjbaker

Drives: none yet
BeardWS6, please elaborate on your experience with the 2 drives.
flyjbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
GS with the zr1 gfx, best looking vette made IMO! i want one bad - it will be my next car.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
this maybe the last year for the gs but think 1 more year and so will the zl1. if u need the room for more ppl go zl1 , but to me if it was just me and my wife gs all the way , i still to this day wish i got a vette instead and just got a family car on the side.lol but thats just me. i dont have a zl1 but power wise im sure my car will out preform one , but not handle as good . its all about room tho. what suits ur needs

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #17
jhintz20

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS L99, 05 IBM Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
Nothing wrong with either car. I love the GS too but it's not something I'd buy because of it's size and lack of space.

If I were going to buy a Vette though, I'd rather have a Z06.
+1 for the Z06!
jhintz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
This is one of the best vs threads that I have seen to date as far as performance goes. The 2 cars pretty much mirror each other in the performance catagory. They are very very close in all aspects of performance.Of course in everything else they couldnt be more different. Get the car that fits your needs best.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #19
outlaw88

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS AGM
I don't how well I can speak to the OP's question, and for that I apoligize, but I can speak to the difference between driving a Corvette and a Camaro. I had a 2005 C6 Coupe for almost 3 years before I had to sell it. I now have a 2012 2LS Camaro. IMHO the difference between driving a Corvette and driving a Camaro is substantial. While I do love driving the Camaro, if given the chance, I would trade back to a Corvette in less than a heartbeat. The fun factor is there, the awesome factor is there, the power factor is there. The Corvette (again this is just opinion) is just a far superior driving experience. Regarding the power difference...I haven't driven the V8 Camaro's so I really don't have a true sense of what they feel like power-wise. My Vette was only slightly modded with B&B exhuast and a DiabloSport tune but that's all it really took to make the car feel like it was a brute. The Vette is lighter and that's one thing that's obvious to me between the two when you drive them. The Vette feels more nimble, lighter on its feet. The Camaro is heavier and throws it's weight around a bit more. The Vette sits lower as was mentioned by others so you do have to be a little more careful there. Comfort-wise, while both are pretty comfortable (assuming you're not very tall) the Camaro seats tend to hug me a bit better than my Vette did. When turning hard and driving fast I tended to slide a bit more in the Vette whereas in the Camaro I stay in place. Might be due to the leather in the Vette but again the Camaro seats tend to hug me better. Jimmy5 mentioned that they are a nightmare to work on but I'm not sure what he's referring to??? They're quite easy to work on but again that's just my opinion.

At the end of the day I don't think you can go wrong either way. My vote would be Corvette.
outlaw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #20
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
paragraphs.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #21
HumanWiki
Former 5th Gen owner

Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Just remember that C7 will be a new model run and possibly full of issues.. So, buying an end-of-line Vette may actually be a good deal. If the market on them tanks due to love of the C7, you could find yourself in a very favorable position on purchase of a C6. Not to mention all the markups you know are coming with C7.

The ZL1 is still too new for you to really get a screaming deal, outside of at MSRP or slightly under.

When you start modding them both, well, throw the comparisons right out the window because then you start talking about a chassis that's 800 lbs lighter to start with and has been proven to take boost just fine w/o internal upgrades.

So, if you couple a steep discounted GS w/ after market bits like FI, some suspension pieces and stickier tires.. you'll be showing a ZL1 your taillights on straights and curves. You won't be a glorious dyno queen, but, with 800lbs less weight, you don't have to be.. Besides.. I've never seen a dyno chart mean much in the real world outside of tuning.. Apparently, it's a trophy in cyberspace though.

Like others have said, if you have need of 4 seats and/or just like the ZL1, then you should get that one. Just know that they are two very different cars.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
Gordo

Drives: CMG 2SS/RS
GS vette with a A&A t-trim,if that isnt enough throw a cam in it!!
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #23
Nessal

Drives: Lotus Exige
Vette for sure.

My next car will be an upgrade...which IMO is the vette.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:23 AM   #24
8AD•SS

Drives: 45th anniversary SS Vert
Hard to compare. I would say ZL1 (sold my Z06 Carbon for my ZL1, build sheet in sig) but I loved my corvette. Will be getting a C7 ZR1 and didn't need two two seated cars Sony sold my vet and built me a ZL1.

Mike,
CRT ZL1 #271 Ordered 5/22, delivered 7/27 (R XIII)
R XIII's Build:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post5427709
8AD•SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #25
Tampa Tuning
Like us on Facebook!

Drives: C5 Corvette/ 2010 Camaro
Tampa Tuning Camaro Corvette GTO GM Trucks performance tuning

I supposed the most important part for your purchase, is what are you going to use the car for. Here's what Ive seen for both vehicles and solely my taste in performance vehicles:

The grand sport is beautiful with her wide ZO6 stance and look, but a LS3 motor.

Both beautiful in convertible

For me, and if I can have either for the same price, both convertible, and the GS comes with the ZO6 motor, Id have a hard time saying no to the Corvette.

Keep with the LS3 in the Corvette and the ZL1 with the LSA, Id go with the Camaro because for under $3000 with some porting, a couple bolt ons, and tuning, I can have over 600 RWHP.

Read this :
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...20#post7838320

www.TampaTuning.com
Camaro Corvette CTS GTO Tuner Tampa Orlando Bradenton
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote