Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
tailgaters

how do you deal with these f--kers. usually idiots in some regular a-- car like an accord. im trying to keep my cool and not end up in jail or with excessive speed ticket. what are your tactics?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:46 PM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
how do you deal with these f--kers. usually idiots in some regular or minivan. im trying to keep my cool and not end up in jail or with excessive speed ticket. what are your tactics?
slam on the brakes and then speed off before they hit you. It'll scare them off.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2000 Ford Ranger
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Brake check.

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
diddiyo

Drives: .
i had to read milks answer before the thread made sense to me. i was thinking "how do you put a grill in the back of an accord?"
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Georgie

yeah sorry i edited it; im hungover and can't think clear
Old 05-31-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
No one ever catches up to The_Blur, so I wouldn't know about this problem.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
No one ever catches up to The_Blur, so I wouldn't know about this problem.
by the way blur.

Your sig looks awesome
Old 05-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
2SSJIM

Drives: CRT ZL1 #1400
I had a guy tailgating me once so I slowed down knowing it would piss him off but I also knew there was a cop sitting under under the Val Vista bridge on US 60 and had been there all morning pulling speeders over, so a 1/4 mile before the bridge, pulled over and this guy blows his horn, flips me off and goes roaring by me to get pulled over by the cop........... I almost wrecked my stang laughing so hard as I pasted by!
2SSJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5 & C6
drive slower..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Some people cannot stand to leave space in between vehicles. There is something in their mind that if they are not glued to your bumper, then they must be doing something wrong. They have a problem. It's called, "following too closely because I am a stupid idiot" syndrome. Most people don't even realize that they are doing it. The others believe that if they follow closer it will make you drive faster. Absolutely ridiculous. They need to understand if they want you to go faster they actually have to push your car. DUH! So by following too closely they have put you, and themselves in danger because you can see what is in front of you, but they can't see whats in front of them. Making a stupid situation out of something simple.

Sorry, this really aggravates me...

I guess what I am trying to say is that if somebody is following too closely to your back bumper, you are required to realize that the dumb behind you can't see. (only because the dumb has decided to cut his/her visibility to nothing) When you realize that the behind you cannot see, YOU are now required to allow yourself more space to do sudden stops and YOU are now required to notice problems earlier than you usually would have to. That way a sudden stop or swerve can be just a regular slowdown for yourself and the dumb mother behind you. So for the stupidity of the guy behind you, YOU are NOW required to make up for the lack of intelligence in the guy behind you.

Remember, it is the guy behind you that has decided not to pay attention to the ROAD, and pay more attention to your car and how slow you are driving.

This is what we have been trained to do in our job. It is a real tactic, and it does work. Just allow yourself more space, and the guy behind you will not hit you. On your side of things, you just have to stay calm and not get frustrated with the behind you. You are now in charge of how fast the guy behind you can respond to a problem... Congrats, at that moment you just became an SITTER.

Last edited by Camaro_Corvette; 06-01-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Let em go.......f'em... Not worth the time or aggravation if he hits you.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Pull over and let them pass you. Simple and safe.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN

Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
by the way blur.

Your sig looks awesome
Would you believe that I made that in Pages, a Mac word processor? I don't even have Photoshop.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #14
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Would you believe that I made that in Pages, a Mac word processor? I don't even have Photoshop.
sorry for the

but is that going to be the logo on your car?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #15
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
Brake Check.

Cost some dude his whole fascia with the Explorer once.. I lol'd. Cop had him in the wrong since he was running a speed trap during the whole thing (Derp). Red Light too, I slowed, and this guy was just concentrating on the cop (while riding my butt) I guess. It was as if the planets aligned and Thor told my truck to take a s**t on his hood..

And it promptly did.

Still a few scuffs on the bumper from when it happened, nothing a little bit of gray primer/krylon can't handle since..well..that's what Ford used to paint the bumper anyway. XD

And don't get me started on the car that ended up under my dad's truck after forgetting to..erm..brake? Wish I had a camera for THAT one. Not a scratch on the truck.. Car's suspension and steering as well as the hood were trashed. :/
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:13 AM   #16
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
On my old '93 Jetta, I wired up a switch that just activated my brake lights, so there wasn't ever a risk of getting rear ended, but it put a scare into some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #17
Justin
Camaro5's Cell Phone Geek

Drives: '02 V6 Camaro. 5 speed manual.
I'm a big fan of driving the exact speed limit and doing the recommended speed through all of the corners (which is notoriously low in PA), or just letting them pass and let their stupidity guide them into a telephone pole instead of my bumper.

What pisses me off more than the tailgaters is the people that rip around you in double yellow zones, especially when you put on your blinker to pull over or something and they just tear around you going into a blind corner. Then they're not only endangering their safety, they're endangering the safety of a completely unsuspecting motorist coming around a corner, not expecting a car going 20 MPH over the limit to be driving down the wrong side of the road.

2SS RJT with black rally stripes, RS package, sunroof, painted engine block cover. It's either that or a damned similar 'vert in a few years.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #18
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I'm a big fan of driving the exact speed limit and doing the recommended speed through all of the corners (which is notoriously low in PA), or just letting them pass and let their stupidity guide them into a telephone pole instead of my bumper.

What pisses me off more than the tailgaters is the people that rip around you in double yellow zones, especially when you put on your blinker to pull over or something and they just tear around you going into a blind corner. Then they're not only endangering their safety, they're endangering the safety of a completely unsuspecting motorist coming around a corner, not expecting a car going 20 MPH over the limit to be driving down the wrong side of the road.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:04 AM   #19
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Either use the accelerator and get it up to speed faster, or let 'em go around.

What some people don't realize is that the other person may really need to GET GOING for some legitimate reason.

If it's just the way he drives, he'll eventually draw the attention of some traffic unit on the prowl, and will get pulled over and cited.

BUT without question, the dumbest thing a person could do is a stupid "Break Check"!!! Do you really want to get into an accident...even if it's the other guy's fault?!?!?! And then what do you do when you pull over to exchange information, only to find out that this guy REALLY IS, "Barney Bad-Ass" and not only is he having the worst day of his life, but now he's focused all his attention, and now anger on you because you wanted to play some lame-ass "Brake Check" game?!

SURE, you could file a civil suit againt him... after your two broken legs, arm, and shattered jaw heal up. And when you tell you story to the jury, and they'll probably side with you...especially when they see you smile at 'em and they notice the big hole in your mouth from the six to eight teeth that got knocked out.

But the best part will come when you're awarded all this ca$h, only to find out this guy doesn't have a pot to piss in, a window to throw it out of, or dirt for it to fall on! At that point, (if the thought hasn't already crossed your mind months before) I wonder if you'd now wish that you should have just let 'em go?

And before some of you guys respond by saying, "Yeah, well I have my SIG, or Glock" or whatever. The fact is, he may have one too, and he may REALLY KNOW how to use it, and not just think he does!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~

Last edited by SScattergunSS; 06-01-2009 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Error
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:22 AM   #20
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
I believe the proper way is to slow down.

However, I have seldom had someone that close to me. I did get rearended by a truck once a few years ago and I was in my pickup...........I got out and it just bent my bumper down a little.........I didn't want to mess with it....I told the guy not to worry about it and drove off. Now if something like that happens in my Camaro it will be a different story.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #21
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
I've waited intil I come up on some road debris and waited till the last possible moment to swerve around it. They usualy back off after realizing they can not see in front of me and hit a re-tread or ladder, those are the most common things in the road here. Makes me laugh when I think of them puckering right before impact.

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:53 AM   #22
espo19047

Drives: Impala
Send a message via AIM to espo19047
Just move over and let him go by. It is easy and you don't get all worked up.
espo19047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #23
Georgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScattergunSS View Post

BUT without question, the dumbest thing a person could do is a stupid "Break Check"!!! Do you really want to get into an accident...even if it's the other guy's fault?!?!?! And then what do you do when you pull over to exchange information, only to find out that this guy REALLY IS, "Barney Bad-Ass" and not only is he having the worst day of his life, but now he's focused all his attention, and now anger on you because you wanted to play some lame-ass "Brake Check" game?!

And before some of you guys respond by saying, "Yeah, well I have my SIG, or Glock" or whatever. The fact is, he may have one too, and he may REALLY KNOW how to use it, and not just think he does!
this is why i started this thread. lately i've been getting very angry at tailgaters. like i said, i don't want to go to jail because of "wanting to seek my own brand of justice." im looking for ways to keep me out of trouble. some of these moron don't let up though. i guess i'll just try to keepcool.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #24
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore

Drives: Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
this is why i started this thread. lately i've been getting very angry at tailgaters. like i said, i don't want to go to jail because of "wanting to seek my own brand of justice." im looking for ways to keep me out of trouble. some of these moron don't let up though. i guess i'll just try to keepcool.
Completely understandable. I usually just keep doing what I'm doing and give a bit more gap behind the person in front of me. That way I can have more time to brake slowly if need be, and if the douche decides to try and pass, he'll have a place to fit into. What really ticks me off are the people who get into an ending lane (when they know its ending) and try and cut off the entire line of cars in order to get to the front. And worse still are the people who do that and then go slower than the flow of traffic.
- Xanthos
Old 06-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #25
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
In my Dodge, I just hit cruise control and chill out. I have a 4 inch drop hitch on a class 5 receiver. It'd be a bad day for a tailgater.

In my Cobalt it varies, but ya I usually just give myself more room in front of me if there aren't multiple lanes. Brake checks and crap like that just don't seem worth it to me- although I have used the hazards before to flash red lights at the guy behind me.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote