Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
yellowrs
Saftladen

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
micro scratches in clear coat

Hi guys,
My 2010 Camaro which until last week had the perfect showroom condition paint-job from the factory.
Make a long story short I went to Autozone and told them I would like to wax my car and ask what they recommend.
They sold me a compound wax which after I was done applying to my car left 1 million micro scratches all over my clear-coat.
I afterwards waxed the car with a polish, kit wax and even had it detailed but still I can see the imperfection in the clear-coat when looking at the car in the sun or from certain angles.
It really bothers me me a lot since the "new car look" now is gone after taken such good care for 2.5 year and only 7500 miles.
What is you recommendation? Where should I take this car to once again have a showroom like paint and clear-coat?
I guys help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
YellowRS

Attached Images

yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
StarkCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary
Which brand of compound wax did they sell you ?
StarkCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
That can be taken care of, Get yourself a portcable and some Adam's prodcuts, watch the videos. Plan on a day in the garage and you will have a showroom finsih again.

I did this back in March and it took care of every swirl I had at that time.

I plan to do this yearly now.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-59-po...sher-kits.aspx
Old 09-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
yellowrs
Saftladen

Meguiar's® Ultimate Compound

Safely restore color and clarity to abused and neglected finishes with Meguiar's® Ultimate Compound. Our revolutionary formula cuts as fast as harsh abrasive compounds but without scratching… even on clear coat finishes.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
yellowrs
Saftladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
That can be taken care of, Get yourself a portcable and some Adam's prodcuts, watch the videos. Plan on a day in the garage and you will have a showroom finsih again.

I am affraid I would do even more damage to the car.
Can this be sanded out with a 2000 grit sand-paper?
I am so confused by looking at all the fixes they have online.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
STINGER BEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrs View Post
Safely restore color and clarity to abused and neglected finishes with Meguiar's® Ultimate Compound. Our revolutionary formula cuts as fast as harsh abrasive compounds but without scratching… even on clear coat finishes.

I was looking at this product,is this what you used,and caused the scratches.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: people crazy.
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Dude, the Autozone people were idiots - pardon my brashness.

They sold you a compound? Well, no wonder your car is covered in scratches. First of all, there is a profound difference between the words "polish" and "wax," unlike what products like Zaino or NuFinish will tell you.

A POLISH is an abrasive product, where an abrasive mixture (usually aluminum oxide) is suspended in a vehicle (fluid). When rubbed against the paint surface whether by hand or machine, it cuts away at the surface with the intention to level it.

A WAX is not abrasive, and it is simply a product meant to be layered over the paint with a means of protecting it and in most cases, improving the clarity of the paintwork.

The ULTIMATE COMPOUND they gave you is an extremely strong form of a polish - when you rubbed it against your paint, you were scratching the hell out of it with the microabrasives in that compound. Needless to say, you didn't wax your car, you compounded it - you REMOVED some clearcoat.

Those scratches you have will be easy to remove, but you'll need to enter the world of machine polishing.

Catch up on detailing here in this forum. There's a lot you have to learn.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
yellowrs
Saftladen

Yes, that is what I used :(
Old 09-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
yellowrs
Saftladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Dude, the Autozone people were idiots - pardon my brashness.

They sold you a compound? Well, no wonder your car is covered in scratches. First of all, there is a profound difference between the words "polish" and "wax," unlike what products like Zaino or NuFinish will tell you.

A POLISH is an abrasive product, where an abrasive mixture (usually aluminum oxide) is suspended in a vehicle (fluid). When rubbed against the paint surface whether by hand or machine, it cuts away at the surface with the intention to level it.

A WAX is not abrasive, and it is simply a product meant to be layered over the paint with a means of protecting it and in most cases, improving the clarity of the paintwork.

The ULTIMATE COMPOUND they gave you is an extremely strong form of a polish - when you rubbed it against your paint, you were scratching the hell out of it with the microabrasives in that compound. Needless to say, you didn't wax your car, you compounded it - you REMOVED some clearcoat.

Those scratches you have will be easy to remove, but you'll need to enter the world of machine polishing.

Catch up on detailing here in this forum. There's a lot you have to learn.
I feel like an even bigger idiot for not doing research prior to applying the compound.
I also feel mislead by McGuire for mislabeling the bottle since it states that it does not ruin your paint or clear-coat and wont scratch.
I was shocked when I took the car in the bright sun and show the damage done.
The waxing, polishes and detailing have helped but still it is not what the car looked like before.
It has never been driven in the car, been through a car wash and always has been detailed by hand only.

I tried once before on another car with a buffer and wax but I am not good at it.
Where can I take this to have this professional restored ?
The detail place where I took it today said they would get it out but they did not.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
TDevilsG

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post

This was what I was going to recommend as well. Although I only ready about it and through multiple sources, from what I've read this will definitely solve your problem. I too have micro scratches and I have yet to polish the car. I plan on investing in the porter cable sometime relatively soon, although it is expensive. Has anyone had the same issues as the original OP and was able to get out the scratches with this device? I actually had similar issues with my LT actually, and I've been taking much better care of my 2SS.
TDevilsG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
yellowrs
Saftladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDevilsG View Post
This was what I was going to recommend as well. Although I only ready about it and through multiple sources, from what I've read this will definitely solve your problem. I too have micro scratches and I have yet to polish the car. I plan on investing in the porter cable sometime relatively soon, although it is expensive. Has anyone had the same issues as the original OP and was able to get out the scratches with this device? I actually had similar issues with my LT actually, and I've been taking much better care of my 2SS.
I just went to that side again and was wondering instead of spending $200 plus having this done by a professional?
I live in the Scottsdale AZ area if anybody can recommend somebody you truly can trust let me know.
One thing for sure I won't be able to fix this unless I use a machine.

Last edited by yellowrs; 09-24-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
Ultimate compound is a great product when used with a DA and followed up by a polish.

It definitly isn't a wax.

You might try finding someone thru Autogeek.net. They have a great forum.

It won't be to hard to correct that!!!
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
yellowrs
Saftladen

Maybe I will try Adams products on my wife's car first
Or my neighbor who is in Canada right now. He would be pleasantly surprised to see his car in new condition.
I don't think I have a lot of choices.
A $10 Compound wax is going to cost me several hundred of $$ plus endless hours of sleep.
I think I will start a detailing business!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #14
Russell James

Drives: '12 SS/RS LS3 IBM
I've used Ultimate Compound before on mine with a buffer, but it needs to be followed up with a swirl mark remover. It's not that harsh of a compound, I found it to work real good on minor scratches. Works best with a machine.

You will need a good DA buffer.

Get a Porter Cable, and some Adams Fine Machine Polish and white pads.

Wash the car with Dawn dish soap to get all the wax off. Then using the PC and the Adams Fine Machine Polish work on each panel until all the swirl marks are gone. Watch the Adams video first on their DVD you can request when buying the Porter Cable. There is a ton of info on it, but really all you need to fix your problem is the Fine Machine Polish using the PC on speed 5 ish. Then wax the car.

I would rather fix that myself, because someone else even a pro may go after that with a buffer and just add more swirl marks. A Porter Cable with Adams FMP is very safe and easy to use.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #15
yellowrs
Saftladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I've used Ultimate Compound before on mine with a buffer, but it needs to be followed up with a swirl mark remover. It's not that harsh of a compound, I found it to work real good on minor scratches. Works best with a machine.

You will need a good DA buffer.

Get a Porter Cable, and some Adams Fine Machine Polish and white pads.

Wash the car with Dawn dish soap to get all the wax off. Then using the PC and the Adams Fine Machine Polish work on each panel until all the swirl marks are gone. Watch the Adams video first on their DVD you can request when buying the Porter Cable. There is a ton of info on it, but really all you need to fix your problem is the Fine Machine Polish using the PC on speed 5 ish. Then wax the car.

I would rather fix that myself, because someone else even a pro may go after that with a buffer and just add more swirl marks. A Porter Cable with Adams FMP is very safe and easy to use.

Thank you everybody for all your inputs.

I guess Porter Cable and Adam's products it is.

Now with my car being covered with 5-7 layers of waxes and polishes does it matter at what point I fight the swirl marks?

At this point it seems I buried them deep under all the waxes??

Also will it help by not waxing the car and just washing it removing some of the swirls.Would hot steam help?

Like I said whatever I have done after applying the compound has help a lot, still the car looks nothing like it did before :(

Thanks again for everybody help

yellowrs
Old 09-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #16
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
Russell James gave you the best advice. Dawn will remove the wax you applied to fill in the scratches and the Porter Cable with be FMP will remove the scratches. Once they are removed you can then apply the sealant or wax of your choice. You're not the first member to post of an experience like this and you won't be the last. Your car's paint defects are honestly minor compared to some of the pics posted before removal by proper technique and product use. Let us know how it turns out. You'll be glad you did it yourself since you'll own the supplies for less than you paid a professional.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #17
Ozzie RS

Drives: '11 Camaro RS 2LT
Adam's I swear by. They are a sponsor on here and they have a good DVD video explaining on how to do everything. They aren't cheap but anything worth anything isn't cheap. I've used their products for the past two years and the only thing I am not 100% satisfied with ( 95% satisfied) is their window cleaner. Everything else is top notch. Get a Porter Cable buffer and some of the Adams polishes, you can watch the video's online to decide or call and they will recommend which products to get. Don't forget to mention you are a Camaro5 member.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:46 AM   #18
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Most of the advice given by the Adams Army is pretty solid in here.

You have two options. A professional detailer, who will charge anywhere from $200-400 to polish out the whole car, or an investment in doing it yourself, which will cost about $250 or so.

If you decide to do it yourself, you'll need a PC, some polishes (looks like the AA has pretty much sold you on that), some pads, a clay bar, some blue Dawn and a quality sealant or wax.

You'll wash the car with dawn to remove all wax. Then you'll go over the whole car with the clay bar. Then you'll polish using your PC. Once you've corrected the finish, you will apply your sealant to protect the paint.

If you want any suggestions on specific,more effective products that aren't named Adams, PM me again and we'll get you sorted out. You'll likely save a boatload of money too.

Sorry I took a while to get back to you, but these guys definitely sent you in the right direction, as usual.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 09-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
yellowrs
Saftladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post

You have two options. A professional detailer, who will charge anywhere from $200-400 to polish out the whole car, or an investment in doing it yourself, which will cost about $250 or so.

If you decide to do it yourself, you'll need a PC, some polishes (looks like the AA has pretty much sold you on that), some pads, a clay bar, some blue Dawn and a quality sealant or wax.

You'll wash the car with dawn to remove all wax. Then you'll go over the whole car with the clay bar. Then you'll polish using your PC. Once you've corrected the finish, you will apply your sealant to protect the paint.

If you want any suggestions on specific,more effective products that aren't named Adams, PM me again and we'll get you sorted out. You'll likely save a boatload of money too.

Sorry I took a while to get back to you, but these guys definitely sent you in the right direction, as usual.

Thanks again everybody for all your inputs I great appreciate it, this forum rocks!
I will follow your advise and go ahead and order the PC and Adams products.
I spend hours over the last couple of days looking at various videos online.
Besides Adams it seems that Wolfgang's also offers good product but not at a cheap price.
I will have to do some reseach on the clay-bar, I guess you learn something new here every day.
Thanks again.
Yellowrs
Old 09-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #20
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I know people in this subforum are crazy about Adam's products, and rightly so because they work. However, to me they are more expensive than I would like and there are options that work just as well.

Just because you CAN get perfect results with Adam's, doesn't mean it's the ONLY way to get perfect results.

For example, I just did my car with a porter cable and optimum hyper compound and hyper polish and got perfect results.

Here's a cool picture of the result:

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #21
yellowrs
Saftladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I know people in this subforum are crazy about Adam's products, and rightly so because they work. However, to me they are more expensive than I would like and there are options that work just as well.

Just because you CAN get perfect results with Adam's, doesn't mean it's the ONLY way to get perfect results.

For example, I just did my car with a porter cable and optimum hyper compound and hyper polish and got perfect results.

Here's a cool picture of the result:

Very nice.
I am sure everybody has their own preferences when it comes to detailing.
I might as well buy the Adams package since they pretty much have everything you need to get the job done.
If for any reason it should not work I can always switch to something else.
Thank you.

Below is a picture when my car was in perfect condition.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #22
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Again, if you're set for Adam's, go for it. But they are hardly the only ones to offer a package with pretty much all you need for swirls:

I'm not against Adam's in any way, but these options are all cheaper and can remove swirls:

http://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-po...rter-kit1.html

http://www.autogeek.net/xmtpocaliswr.html

http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-por...ble-combo.html

http://www.autogeek.net/pitwpocaspof.html

Oh and shipping is free with code ago

Also, when looking at their basic pc kit http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-733-a...isher-kit.aspx they include 7 inch pads on the kit. I've never dealt with 7 inch pads, but forum members told me to never go past 5.5 inch on the PC, because it's just not powerful enough to really spin that 7 inch pad.

If you go for the adams I would ask to change the pads for 5.5 inch pads.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 09-23-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #23
STINGER BEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Mother's Glaze Polish

Have anyone used the Mother's Micro Glaze Polish on their Camaro,I have used it on my 1996 ZR1 S10 with great results.But the only thing I'm concerned about is the paint.The S10 as better paint on it than on my Camaro,it's so thin I,m Leary of it coming of every time I detail it.
I agree from looking at Adam's products it does give you great results,but for me to have it shipped North,the shipping would be more than the cost of the detailing kit.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #24
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
Have anyone used the Mother's Micro Glaze Polish on their Camaro,I have used it on my 1996 ZR1 S10 with great results.But the only thing I'm concerned about is the paint.The S10 as better paint on it than on my Camaro,it's so thin I,m Leary of it coming of every time I detail it.
I agree from looking at Adam's products it does give you great results,but for me to have it shipped North,the shipping would be more than the cost of the detailing kit.
If you're using a PC, theres really no way you're going to burn through paint let alone the clear.

Nowadays paint is like 90 microns and buffing and polishing takes off about 2 to 3 microns

Old 09-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #25
yellowrs
Saftladen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post

Showtime it is.
Just went to O'Reiley and are ready to use the clay-bar this evening.