Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #205
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
30 minutes ahead of you haha
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #206
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
30 minutes ahead of you haha
clean that SS now
Old 03-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #207
AdamZ
Account Suspended

JOE IT'S CLEAN. IF I CLEAN IT ANYMORE IT'S GOING TO TURN SUMMIT WHITE.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #208
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
JOE IT'S CLEAN. IF I CLEAN IT ANYMORE IT'S GOING TO TURN SUMMIT WHITE.
then you be cool like Violent Vinny, lol
Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #209
tramtwo

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Borderless Blond towels from Zaino are back in stock! Get'em while they last!
God bless the smart phone.... 6 should hold me for a while.

Thanks JM!!

tramtwo posted this on the go
Old 03-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #210
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Your videos are great and we appreciate you making them.......but I have a few questions for you.

How should we polish the edges? Like on the fender edge, around the cowl of the hood or body lines?

How many Zaino towels do you recommend for a polish job?

Which waffle weave towels do you recommend?

What wax and sealant would you use?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #211
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Your videos are great and we appreciate you making them.......but I have a few questions for you.

How should we polish the edges? Like on the fender edge, around the cowl of the hood or body lines?

How many Zaino towels do you recommend for a polish job?

Which waffle weave towels do you recommend?

What wax and sealant would you use?
1. Why in the world would you concentrate on polishing the edge of anything? You can't see swirls on a edge! If you go across an edge during a buffing pass, you're DONE with it. You NEVER concentrate on an edge. That's where the paint is at its thinnest.

2. That's like asking how many pads you need to do one car. It completely depends on the person doing the work. I can use one towel an do an entire Camaro. But then my towels don't get dirty because I'm going to make sure that the car is spotless before I start and the only thing that I am going to wipe off the car is polish residue and wax. There is no set number in that question. Buy what you can afford. You see how hard they are to come by.

3. I recommend any waffle weave towel that is not made in China. You find the towel and then call the manufacturer and ask them where their towels are manufactured. China made towels are garbage.

4. There are a hundred choices of waxes and sealants on the market that you can use. I don't get all caught up in all the choices because I don't use a wax or sealant make my paint LOOK a specific way. All of my paint's appearance comes from the polishing process. Thus, I never fall for the gimmick's that manufacturers claim about their waxes and sealants. Since the ONLY reason I use a wax or sealant is for protection, I have a lot of different brands that I can choose from. If you are looking for a suggestion, I can tell you to try Hi-Temp's HT-62 Terminator Polymer Sealant. You have got to follow the application instructions TO THE LETTER. It must be applied thinly and it must be allowed to cure for at least 36 hours. You do NOT want to wash your car with any kind of soap that is not made for waxed paint.

Sealants are the longest lasting protection that you can apply and thus, are the most difficult to apply. They also take the longest amount of time to apply. As a novice, you may want to start by applying a wax that is a lot easier to deal with and that would be something like a carnuba paste. There are two that I have used and like and those are Collinite's Super Doublecoat Wax and Hi-Temp's HT-17 Hard Carnuba Paste Wax. The main thing that you will notice about these products is the cost. Unlike some products that you will see sold on the market, these products are NOT overpriced and marked up to hell and back. That's another reason I recommend them. Some companies out there try and take your first born for a bottle of their product. Hi-Temp's products are a little harder to find so give them a call and they will hook you up with a distributor (402-330-3344). They are based in Omaha, NE.

Don't get caught up in all the hype with waxes and sealants. A lot of what you hear and read about them is usually...

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #212
AdamZ
Account Suspended

For real you need to be President.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #213
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
For real you need to be President.

I would get sunk by a sex scandal on campaign day one!

Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #214
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Omg lmao
Old 03-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #215
tramtwo

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:

I would get sunk by a sex scandal on campaign day one!
Pretty face with a thin waste... may work for a campaign slogan.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #216
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Pretty face with a thin waste... may work for a campaign slogan.

I was thinking more like, "Cute in the face, thin in the waste and have her own place."

Yep, there goes my political career!

Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #217
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
what does it mean Not Body Shop Safe?
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #218
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffm View Post
Don't worry about it. Body shop safe means safe on freshly painted panels.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #219
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffm View Post
You would need to wait until the paint completely cures before you can use a product on paint that is not body shop safe. That could be anywhere from 30-90 days after the paint job, depending on what material were used to paint the car.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #220
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
1. Why in the world would you concentrate on polishing the edge of anything? You can't see swirls on a edge! If you go across an edge during a buffing pass, you're DONE with it. You NEVER concentrate on an edge. That's where the paint is at its thinnest.

2. That's like asking how many pads you need to do one car. It completely depends on the person doing the work. I can use one towel an do an entire Camaro. But then my towels don't get dirty because I'm going to make sure that the car is spotless before I start and the only thing that I am going to wipe off the car is polish residue and wax. There is no set number in that question. Buy what you can afford. You see how hard they are to come by.

3. I recommend any waffle weave towel that is not made in China. You find the towel and then call the manufacturer and ask them where their towels are manufactured. China made towels are garbage.

4. There are a hundred choices of waxes and sealants on the market that you can use. I don't get all caught up in all the choices because I don't use a wax or sealant make my paint LOOK a specific way. All of my paint's appearance comes from the polishing process. Thus, I never fall for the gimmick's that manufacturers claim about their waxes and sealants. Since the ONLY reason I use a wax or sealant is for protection, I have a lot of different brands that I can choose from. If you are looking for a suggestion, I can tell you to try Hi-Temp's HT-62 Terminator Polymer Sealant. You have got to follow the application instructions TO THE LETTER. It must be applied thinly and it must be allowed to cure for at least 36 hours. You do NOT want to wash your car with any kind of soap that is not made for waxed paint.

Sealants are the longest lasting protection that you can apply and thus, are the most difficult to apply. They also take the longest amount of time to apply. As a novice, you may want to start by applying a wax that is a lot easier to deal with and that would be something like a carnuba paste. There are two that I have used and like and those are Collinite's Super Doublecoat Wax and Hi-Temp's HT-17 Hard Carnuba Paste Wax. The main thing that you will notice about these products is the cost. Unlike some products that you will see sold on the market, these products are NOT overpriced and marked up to hell and back. That's another reason I recommend them. Some companies out there try and take your first born for a bottle of their product. Hi-Temp's products are a little harder to find so give them a call and they will hook you up with a distributor (402-330-3344). They are based in Omaha, NE.

Don't get caught up in all the hype with waxes and sealants. A lot of what you hear and read about them is usually...
1. I wasn't suggesting to concentrate on an edge. I was just wanting clarification on how to approach an edge since I know the paint and clear coat is the thinnest in those areas.

2. I understand everyone is different in this area. Was just trying to get an idea of how many I should buy since they are hard to come by. I bought 2 packs of the blondes and 2 packs of the white ones. I will see how this works out and go from there until they come back in stock.

3. Thank you I will look into where they are made and buy accordingly.

4. I was curious which one you use since there are so many out there and you said the stuff from local stores is filled with crap and not worth the money.

Thank you for the info, I am just trying to be careful since like you said in your video you only want to have to do this once and keep the car in good shape from there on out. Unfortunately my car was abused by my dealers detail guys a few times(even though I told them DO NOT WASH MY CAR) as well as a few quick washes here and there when I didn't have the time to wash it. I have learned its best to leave her dirty until I have time to wash it since most people don't give a damn about how they wash or damage your car when they wash it.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #221
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
1. I wasn't suggesting to concentrate on an edge. I was just wanting clarification on how to approach an edge since I know the paint and clear coat is the thinnest in those areas.
When you buff across an edge, you're done with it.

Quote:
2. I understand everyone is different in this area. Was just trying to get an idea of how many I should buy since they are hard to come by. I bought 2 packs of the blondes and 2 packs of the white ones. I will see how this works out and go from there until they come back in stock.
In my videos, I speak of the white towels and say that I was not impressed with them. I tell people to just buy the Borderless Blonds ones. I would have spent that money you spent on the white ones to buy more blond ones. You can never have too many.

Quote:
4. I was curious which one you use since there are so many out there and you said the stuff from local stores is filled with crap and not worth the money.
And I speak of the Turtle Wax crap, the spray and wax crap and any other gimmicky product out there that for $3.99, is supposed to protect your paint for 1 year. You have got to use a little common sense when reading the claims on a bottle of wax. Some of it just doesn't pass the smell test. That's your common sense licking in.

Quote:
Thank you for the info, I am just trying to be careful since like you said in your video you only want to have to do this once and keep the car in good shape from there on out. Unfortunately my car was abused by my dealers detail guys a few times(even though I told them DO NOT WASH MY CAR) as well as a few quick washes here and there when I didn't have the time to wash it. I have learned its best to leave her dirty until I have time to wash it since most people don't give a damn about how they wash or damage your car when they wash it.
If you ever take your car to a dealer for anything, have them put on the work order that the car IS NOT to be washed by their soap monkeys. If they do wash it and create a butt load of swirls, you can force them to pay a detailer of YOUR choice to repair your paint. I had a friend do this exact thing and when the dealer refused to pay up because they wanted their own hacks to fix the car, he sued them in small claims court and won. He brought it to me and I charged that dealer $95 an hour to fix that car, which is what I charge to do what I normally do in the IT field. Needless to say, that dealership didn't make that mistake again.