Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
How to restore faded, yellowed, or oxidized headlights with no tools, with 3M

Faded headlights are a huge problem that isn't going away. Instead of paying a professional big money, you can fix this problem yourself, with no tools and just a little of your time!

This 3M Headlight Restoration Kit is designed to improve the clarity of headlight lenses that have become yellowed, cloudy, or hazed over time. This kit does not require tools and is designed to work by hand. By improving the clarity of the headlight lens, with this kit, you improve the performance of the headlight and enhance the appearance of the vehicle. With the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit -39084 you can achieve professional results in the comfort of your home.

For more information, or to purchase, select the product photo below.

Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
This one I had my eye on it and will be trying it soon on the wife's car. Thank you for showing it here Todd.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
How long is this supposed to last? I've used Meguiar's (which 3M owns) and it only lasted 3 months. Mother's lasted about the same.

Yellowing just always happens. I think if after you finish the headlight restoration, you seal with Opticoat 2.0, you get better results, sometimes even over a year.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
How long is this supposed to last? I've used Meguiar's (which 3M owns) and it only lasted 3 months. Mother's lasted about the same.

Yellowing just always happens. I think if after you finish the headlight restoration, you seal with Opticoat 2.0, you get better results, sometimes even over a year.
Well restoring the headlights will last as long as it takes for the plastic to begin to yellow again.

Factory headlights have a coating on them that provides the UV protection. At some point this coating will wear away and the headlights discolor. When you sand and refinish them, you are going to remove whatever coating is left.

Yes, using Opti-Coat 2.0 should provide excellent protection (more than a 1 year) or using the XPEL Headlight Film will work as well.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd@Autopia View Post
Well restoring the headlights will last as long as it takes for the plastic to begin to yellow again.

Factory headlights have a coating on them that provides the UV protection. At some point this coating will wear away and the headlights discolor. When you sand and refinish them, you are going to remove whatever coating is left.

Yes, using Opti-Coat 2.0 should provide excellent protection (more than a 1 year) or using the XPEL Headlight Film will work as well.
if only there was a way to apply the same coating the factory does... :(

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
FloMaro

Drives: 2013 V6 Camaro
Does This Work for Camaro Rs Hid Halo Headlights with minor Scratches?
FloMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloMaro View Post
Does This Work for Camaro Rs Hid Halo Headlights with minor Scratches?
It should work.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote