Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 09-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Crowhater

Drives: C6 Corvette
ZL1 HELP!

We started a new build on this ZL1 a few months back and we need some help weeding through the tune issues!

We rented the track Saturday and spent the hole day trying to get this car dialed in. There are so many torque managment settings it was just crazy. We discovered if you don't launch in the Race supension that the car pulls timing. The scan files showed timing being pulled every time he shifted the car. Two different shops are working on the car and there is a great deal of money in this car so far. After about 15-18 passes the factory clutch was toast. here is the car on the dyno

This is my friends car and I am trying to help him. I know Corvettes and their tunes pretty well but I am new to the ZL1 and what all you must deal with. Please lend a hand so I can help control the money he is bleeding

The car 2012 ZL1 standard trans
Mods:
Heads
Cam
injectors
smaller pulleys
aftemarket Inner cooler
AR headers and exhaust, no cats
water / Meth injection
Nitrous Oxide inner cooler spray bar syatem

The drag pack is 10x17" rears and 4x17" fronts
Crowhater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Swacer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
With the aftermarket mods you have on it, why would you have kept the stock clutch in it?
~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers~UMI Performance Trailing Arms~UMI Performance Tunnel Brace
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
I hope you guys get this figured out.
Godsplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I can't figure if this is really a call for help, or just an advertisement for a speed shop.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Crowhater

Look I don’t work for either of these shops. The owner of the car and I are co-workers / friends. We started a little grudge at the beginning of the year about who’s car was faster and the arms race started. I have watched him spend 40K on this car in the last 2 1/2 months and Saturday at the track it had all kinds of tuning issues that relate to the different torque management settings. I have HP tuner Pro and the car has a wide band AFR sensor, but like I said above I am not well versed on these cars.

All shops are pretty much the same, they get your car to make a nice dyno number and they hand you the keys. Dyno numbers don’t mean crap if the car can’t go down the track. Sorry if I gave the impression I was trying to promote a performance shop.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Crowhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
With the aftermarket mods you have on it, why would you have kept the stock clutch in it?
I asked the same question!!!! They sold him leather wraped roll cage, short throw, shifter, rims, tires, etc, but no one upgraded the clutch.

My friend tried to do this whole build on the Down low so I would not know what he had going on. His goal was to beat my C6, which his car will do if we can ever get the tune figured out
Old 09-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
flyjbaker

Drives: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
I can't figure if this is really a call for help, or just an advertisement for a speed shop.
Quite the contrary.
flyjbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Crowhater

if anyone has a suggestion as to what we should be looking at to clean up the tune it would be a big help. The car makes big power but you cant use it without all the computer nannies stepping in. We do not care about the warranty or the dealership, if we break stuff we will replace it with stronger stuff. The car makes 750RWHP and it will not burn out on the street in second gear on a set of Nitto drag tires. It should blow the tires away with ease. At the track we are running 28x10x17 Hoosier Bias out back and 4x17 M&H up front. Both LMR and Powerfab have worked on the car and it looks like a monster on the dyno. The problem is that it does not run like a monster at the track.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #9
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowhater View Post
Look I donít work for either of these shops. The owner of the car and I are co-workers / friends. We started a little grudge at the beginning of the year about whoís car was faster and the arms race started. I have watched him spend 40K on this car in the last 2 1/2 months and Saturday at the track it had all kinds of tuning issues that relate to the different torque management settings. I have HP tuner Pro and the car has a wide band AFR sensor, but like I said above I am not well versed on these cars.

All shops are pretty much the same, they get your car to make a nice dyno number and they hand you the keys. Dyno numbers donít mean crap if the car canít go down the track. Sorry if I gave the impression I was trying to promote a performance shop.
wow...$40k so far on mods...the shop doing the work is probably wishing your friend has more friends like him.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowhater View Post
if anyone has a suggestion as to what we should be looking at to clean up the tune it would be a big help. The car makes big power but you cant use it without all the computer nannies stepping in. We do not care about the warranty or the dealership, if we break stuff we will replace it with stronger stuff. The car makes 750RWHP and it will not burn out on the street in second gear on a set of Nitto drag tires. It should blow the tires away with ease. At the track we are running 28x10x17 Hoosier Bias out back and 4x17 M&H up front. Both LMR and Powerfab have worked on the car and it looks like a monster on the dyno. The problem is that it does not run like a monster at the track.
hold down the traction control button for 7 seconds
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Crowhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdari View Post
wow...$40k so far on mods...the shop doing the work is probably wishing your friend has more friends like him.

It is more that just the engine.

4 ccw wheels with nitto tire
4 drag lite drag wheel with drag tires
Roll cage leather wrapped
Electric exhaust cut outs
Shifter
Line lock
After market inner cooler
Performance Heads
Cam
Super charger pulleys
ATI balancer
Full AR exhaust
Water/meth system
Nitrous oxide spray bar system with two nitrous tanks and auto openers
Injectors

I am sure I have forgot some stuff but you get the idea.

It is not hard to run through cash when dealing with performance shops. The car looks insane, it is a real work of art and it pulls so freaking hard on the street when you nail it.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
try talking to livernois.......LOL does your friend know about the no lift shift?
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #13
Crowhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
try talking to livernois.......LOL does your friend know about the no lift shift?
That is how he was shifting and the car pulls timing between shifts
Old 09-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
ADM in Dallas will fix it.

....I would love to know the specs on the 17" wheels he is using!
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #15
Crowhater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post

....I would love to know the specs on the 17" wheels he is using!
Everyone said there is no way a 17" would fit on the rear and that is total BS. Even when I brought over a set and proved it they still did not believe me until they torqued them down and lowered the car. I am going teal hunting tomorrow but I will post up the specs on the rims as soon as I get done, I have the info at the office.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #16
Crowhater

The 17" wheels that fit without a spacer r the Welds RTS S71 series.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #17
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
Crowhater

ADM in Dallas in not interested in working on the car.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
Andy@Livernois

Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
If you would like to PM me specific's on the build (cam specs, injector info, air box info, etc) I can let you know if we can help, it would be a haul, but clearly we know how to make these run a number, and make a number ;-)
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote