Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
ZL1 Shifter Set Screw Question

Hey Guys,

Well I just had my formula1 ceramic tint put on and installed my gill inserts than guess who showed up to keep the mod train rolling? the UPS man with my zl1 shifter and suede knob and boot

I have a question, I used part # 11609670 (a set screw off a corvette m6) which I had heard a fellow member used for his ZL1 shifter set screw and it worked fine for him. When I try to install it, the set screw is the right threading but the washer/head of the bolt are too fat and the chrome top of the boot wont sit correctly with the knob since it sticks out too far. I've attached pics.

Any different part #? Mabye I got the wrong one? Or maybe I just havent done it right (but I dont think its my error at this point, i've tried a million ways).

I have attached photos.

Thanks for your help, cant wait to have a little zl1 dna in my SS

Pat
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
jph2275

pics
Attached Images

Quote:
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: #708 Summit White ZL1 Del. 5/17
You should have gotten the MGW way better than the ZL1. I had it in my 2010 and loved it. Now that I have the ZL1 manual I think it is in between the SS and MGW. I always had a problem with the 2-3 shift in the 2010, but with the mgw never missed another gear. So far though I haven't missed in the Z yet, but the MGW was alot closer shifts. Where is that bolt supposed to go in reference to the pic? Nice car by the way, you should come hang out with the H-Town Camaro Club sometime.
Sometimes dreams do come true. #708
KLR ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
jph2275

I can get the knob to sit down and get to a point where the set screw will go in, but it sticks out too far for the chrome boot to turn and attach?
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 09-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
jph2275

It is supposed to be a set screw from a corvette.... someone stated it worked and gave part #.

I might just epoxy the hell out of the thing wont come off than

But no, seriously Idk what to do

Quote:
Old 09-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
jph2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
You should have gotten the MGW way better than the ZL1. I had it in my 2010 and loved it. Now that I have the ZL1 manual I think it is in between the SS and MGW. I always had a problem with the 2-3 shift in the 2010, but with the mgw never missed another gear. So far though I haven't missed in the Z yet, but the MGW was alot closer shifts. Where is that bolt supposed to go in reference to the pic? Nice car by the way, you should come hang out with the H-Town Camaro Club sometime.
Eh, I liked the mgw but wanted the zl1 suede and having a factory part

Quote:
Old 09-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
jph2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph2275 View Post
Eh, I liked the mgw but wanted the zl1 suede and having a factory part
And yes, I have been meaning to join

Quote:
Old 09-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph2275 View Post
And yes, I have been meaning to join
Cool... or just come hang out at one of the meets sometime. You're going to love that shifter.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
jph2275

Anyone in the club that loves installing shifters? lol

I will for sure

Quote:
Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
What if you were to take a dremel and just cut the washer off, would the head of the bolt be able to go in far enough then? Just a thought
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
jph2275

If I had a dremel I would me friend. You don't realize when you grow up and move away that "dads garage" that always had any tool you needed isn't around anymore. :(

I'm going to attempt to install today...

Quote:
Old 09-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: #708 Summit White ZL1 Del. 5/17
Maybe a regular set screw will work. You can get them from the hardware store or autoparts. Just take the screw up there and match the size and thread.
Sometimes dreams do come true. #708
KLR ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
jph2275

Well I purchased a dremel tool and after going through several sanding discs I finally sawed that washer off. What a difficult little booger.

Right before that I went to auto zone to see if they had any recommendations, and they looked at me like I was an idiot and told me to just thread the washer off. Derp, if I could have I would have. Needless to say they were morons and lost a sale.

I installed the ZL1 shifter, it is very smooth and I really like the feel. I made 2 mistakes though,

1. I installed the shifter 180 degrees backwards so now I will have to rotate the shifter It works great, its just that the knob is on backwards. I hope that I can just disconnect the transmission linkage from the shifter stick and rotate it with the knob from the top. I want to spend as little time that I can under that car. Talk about hell. Back is killing me.

2. I stripped one of the bolts that holds the shifter in. Once you install/stab the shifter from underneath and get the cage in you have a metal plate with a 10mm hole on each side you tighten down to keep the shifter from falling back down out of place. I got one tightened up well, and I somehow managed to strip the other one. I went ahead and attached the linkage and drove it down my parking garage and it felt great. I am just worried about something happening if I happen to shift hard. :( (you know, WOT shifting )

Anyone know of a good way to maybe get that bolt to hold? It acts like it starts and wants to tighten, than just keeps spinning. Locktite?

Does anyone think it is dangerous or possible the shifter will fail if this is not corrected?

Pat

Quote:
Old 09-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
May try to run a tap in the hole and see if that helps? If not i would say the safest solution would be to tap the stripped out hole to the next biggest size and use the appropriate size fastener.

Will it fail currently or with thread locker? I dont know but that's not something I would want to take a chance on.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #15
jph2275

I wish I could get a tap in there, but man it is very inaccessible with the driveshaft exhuast heat shield and that stupid dust boot all making my life a living miserable hell lol.

I took her out tonight since it is very cool weather here in Houston tonight and got a good WOT 1-2 shift. The shift felt great and it is like butter by comparison to the stock or lsr shifter. This is how the shifter should have come in the first place. No more notch and grind at WOT shifts or just in general.

I give this mod my seal of approval

Tomorrow I will get back under the car and see if anything has backed out, and also switch the shifter around 180 degrees. I may just get some JB Weld or Lock Tite and stick it in with the current bolt that "sorta fits" and keep fingers crossed.

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #16
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Did you switch the whole shifter housing out when you swapped the shifter in or did you just swap the stick into the OEM SS shifter housing?

Either way, you should have an extra shifter housing that you can swap out for the one with the stripped out hole.

The ZL1 and SS shifter housing are the same.

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
jph2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
Did you switch the whole shifter housing out when you swapped the shifter in or did you just swap the stick into the OEM SS shifter housing?

Either way, you should have an extra shifter housing that you can swap out for the one with the stripped out hole.

The ZL1 and SS shifter housing are the same.
I just switched the stick into the OEM SS housing since they were identical and It would have been such a pain dropping the shifter housing.

Update: I turned the shifter around 180 degrees easily, still works wonderfully, and my stripped bolt for some reason was acting like it was biting today and sitting in just fine. I decided to leave good enough alone.

I LOVE THIS SHIFTER. Smooth smooth smooth, I used to hate driving the car under WOT conditions because of the notchiness but that is a thing of the past.

My phone and computer have a love/hate picture relationship, and it always flips my damn photos, but here is a shot or two
Attached Images

Quote:
Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
jph2275

I like the contrast with the suede shifter, the painted CGM console piece, and the TC buttons and stuff. The red stitching matches the red lighting on the gauges. Overall, very happy.

Quote:
Old 01-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #19
Gearz
Gearz

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
SHIFTER QUESTION

Hi I know this is a old thread but I need your help. I just removed the shifter from my 2011 SS and I took it apart in the car to remove it the problem is I didn't mark the shat the goes to the trans to the shifter and it looks like it can go on two ways. There is a raised nub on the shaft should it face up or down I know I should have marked it but I didn't. Any help would be great Thanks
P.S. the Gm P/N for the screw is 11571034.

Last edited by Gearz; 01-12-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Add info
Gearz is offline   Reply With Quote