Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Anaconda

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 6-speed VR
When you got your car...

did you let the dealer wash it? Reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about just now allowing the dealer to wash it because they may scratch the paint or hurt the car. I've heard of people having swirl marks and bad wash jobs. My car should be here tomorrow or Monday and was planning on using Adam's car wash and detail spray for its first wash. Good idea or would it not hurt to have the dealer wash the car from the beginning? Any thoughts would be appreciated and thank you.
Anaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Jeffm
ICANHAZ

Drives: 2013 CRT 1SS/RS
no i took delivery and did the wash myself i have a swirl free new car now because of it
Jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
kmmink

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS/GFX CRT/Beige A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaconda View Post
did you let the dealer wash it? Reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about just now allowing the dealer to wash it because they may scratch the paint or hurt the car. I've heard of people having swirl marks and bad wash jobs. My car should be here tomorrow or Monday and was planning on using Adam's car wash and detail spray for its first wash. Good idea or would it not hurt to have the dealer wash the car from the beginning? Any thoughts would be appreciated and thank you.
I just took delivery of my Camaro on 9/27. While I was waiting for the car to arrive, I planned on not letting them wash it because I know they don't do it properly and would probably cause swirls.

I decided to let them wash it only (told them not to wax or anything else; only wash) so they could go over it and possibly find any defects or blemishes in the paint. Also, the car would be free of dust and clean so that I could inspect it better.

I was planning to clay and polish anyway and thought that anything they did, I would be able to undo easy enough. Plus when the car arrived at the dealership, it didn't shine at all with all the dust it had accumulated from it's trip from Canada. However, by allowing them to wash it, it was nice and shiny!

This will be my initial detailing process:
2 bucket wash with 2 mitts

Clay

2 bucket wash with 2 mitts

Polish with Mequiar's Mirror Glaze#205 Ultra Finishing Polish (hopefully since it's new, I won't first need to use Mequiar's Mirror Glaze #105 Ultra-Cut Compound) using a PC 7424XP

Sealant with Meguiar's #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0

Wax with Mothers California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Liquid

Ultimately it's your decision, so go with whatever you can live with.
2013 2LT/RS CRT/Beige A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, body-color engine cover, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels, Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 8/4/12-TPW 8/27/12-Delivered 9/27/12 and 2013 2LT/RS AGM/Gray A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels(last years), Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 10/4/12-TPW 10/29/12-Delivered 12/11/12.
kmmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Why are you bucket washing after claying? That's kind of redundant and not needed imo

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Mine was sitting in the lot and they did wash it. It came with a few minor scratches. I already took care of that.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Camaro EMT
7,200 Miles as of 07/14

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I wouldn't. You are better off doing it yourself, starting with Adam's products from the git-go.
"All bleeding stops eventually." Camaro EMT

Camaro EMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
yeah they washed mine, then I paid my detailer to do it right.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
kmmink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Why are you bucket washing after claying? That's kind of redundant and not needed imo

Maybe you should check out some of Junkman's videos...then you may understand the reasoning behind it.
2013 2LT/RS CRT/Beige A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, body-color engine cover, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels, Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 8/4/12-TPW 8/27/12-Delivered 9/27/12 and 2013 2LT/RS AGM/Gray A6;Body-color gfx, body-color blade spoiler, body-color grille, Sunroof, Navigation, 20" polished aluminum wheels(last years), Spare tire, and Cargo net-Order placed 10/4/12-TPW 10/29/12-Delivered 12/11/12.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmmink View Post
Maybe you should check out some of Junkman's videos...then you may understand the reasoning behind it.
No, he's actually right. There's really no reason to. It's optional.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 09-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
kmmink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
No, he's actually right. There's really no reason to. It's optional.

I can't find the references at this time, but I have read several knowledgeable people say they do it; including Junkman...and if Junkman recommends doing it, I'm sure there is a reason to it. Maybe he will chime in here and give his reasoning.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
I can't find the references at this time, but I have read several knowledgeable people say they do it; including Junkman...and if Junkman recommends doing it, I'm sure there is a reason to it. Maybe he will chime in here and give his reasoning.
At the very most, I'd recommend a waterless wash to remove the clay residue. Certainly no reason to bust out a two bucket wash whatsoever. All you're washing off is pretty much just dried clay lube and any residue of the clay that may have come off.

You're obviously free to do more work if you want to, but there's no need. There's nothing wrong with washing it again. There are dozens of great detailers on both sides of this debate, but I can assure you, you're doing no damage skipping it.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
I've seen his videos, and plenty by other professional detailers as well such as Mike Phillips. I understand you may want to get some clay residue off, but as Camarodreams has said above, it's not necessary to do a whole another 2 bucket wash. I have always pressure washed OR waterless OR rinseless washed after and never had problems.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
kmmink

Quote:
At the very most, I'd recommend a waterless wash to remove the clay residue. Certainly no reason to bust out a two bucket wash whatsoever. All you're washing off is pretty much just dried clay lube and any residue of the clay that may have come off.

You're obviously free to do more work if you want to, but there's no need. There's nothing wrong with washing it again. There are dozens of great detailers on both sides of this debate, but I can assure you, you're doing no damage skipping it.

Quote:
I've seen his videos, and plenty by other professional detailers as well such as Mike Phillips. I understand you may want to get some clay residue off, but as Camarodreams has said above, it's not necessary to do a whole another 2 bucket wash. I have always pressure washed OR waterless OR rinseless washed after and never had problems.
As I originally posted, this is MY initial detailing process. Meaning, this is the process that I will follow when I detail MY car for the first time.

It's not something that I would do every time, but for MY first time this is what I am going to do.

I was just letting the OP what I planned on doing when I got my car. Since I posted my opinion, the OP now has several options/opinions to choose from because it seems to have sparked some debate.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
As I originally posted, this is MY initial detailing process. Meaning, this is the process that I will follow when I detail MY car for the first time.

It's not something that I would do every time, but for MY first time this is what I am going to do.

I was just letting the OP what I planned on doing when I got my car. Since I posted my opinion, the OP now has several options/opinions to choose from because it seems to have sparked some debate.
Like I said, you're free to, and you're doing no damage by washing again. I don't blame you wanting to be extra careful.

Your post just came off condescending, when you told him to watch a video to "understand the reasoning behind it," even though he was right, and there is no reasoning behind it.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #15
kmmink

Quote:
Like I said, you're free to, and you're doing no damage by washing again. I don't blame you wanting to be extra careful.

Your post just came off condescending, when you told him to watch a video to "understand the reasoning behind it," even though he was right, and there is no reasoning behind it.

Exactly, I'm free, you're free, OP is free - that is why in my original post to the OP I said:
Quote:
Ultimately it's your decision, so go with whatever you can live with.

Sometimes things come across the wrong way on the Internet. I am no expert and I was not trying to be condescending. That is why I put a smiley face at the end of my response; so that it would not be taken the wrong way.
Quote:

There is reasoning behind it to some; to you there is no reasoning behind it. I would not do it if I didn't have a reason. You don't do it because you believe there is no reason.

Just giving my opinion the same as you give your opinion. No need for you to revert to name calling because at times you come across as pompous; particularly when someone has a different opinion then you.

OP, almost sorry I replied to your question. Whatever you decide, hope your Camaro comes out looking amazing. Congrats on your purchase and post pics after you receive it.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #16
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:

Right it's your initial detailing process and it's yours lol. No one argued that. I was just saying that what you are doing is unnecessary. And I understand that you are following Junkman's advice to the letter, and nothing wrong with that, but once you detail for a while, and clay for a while, you will understand how unnecessary it is.

Either way, it is your decision, and all that matters is that you are happy

And I just read that you weren't trying to be condescending to me, but you still have to read what you wrote. Smiley faces don't fix being a jerk.

Answering a question that I'm asking you with "maybe you should watch some videos" generally comes off condescending... but you said you didn't mean it so no harm, no foul. Good luck with your detailing session and let us know how it goes

OP, good luck with your detailing too! Your first lesson should be learned here: every detailer has their own methods and you need to find yours that make you and your car happy

Old 10-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #17
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Exactly, I'm free, you're free, OP is free - that is why in my original post to the OP I said:

Sometimes things come across the wrong way on the Internet. I am no expert and I was not trying to be condescending. That is why I put a smiley face at the end of my response; so that it would not be taken the wrong way.

There is reasoning behind it to some; to you there is no reasoning behind it. I would not do it if I didn't have a reason. You don't do it because you believe there is no reason.

Just giving my opinion the same as you give your opinion. No need for you to revert to name calling because at times you come across as pompous; particularly when someone has a different opinion then you.

OP, almost sorry I replied to your question. Whatever you decide, hope your Camaro comes out looking amazing. Congrats on your purchase and post pics after you receive it.

I wasn't name-calling, I was just saying your post came across condescending, and I'm clearly not the only one who thought so..

I don't think I've ever come across pompous when there is opinion involved, only when fact is involved. Even then, I don't think informed=pompous, but you're entitled to your opinion.

If you have an opinion, then back it up with something. Don't just say "there's reasoning." Then we can have a debate and we can both learn something out of the discussion. If not, then we might as well be arguing over which color is better: red or blue.

I make a living doing this stuff; if there's information I can pass on to make it easier on new folks, or to improve their end results, I will. In the end, everyone should do whatever they please to their car. I haven't made a single payment on your car, so what do I care?

I hope that both you and the OP get fantastic results on your first details, and wish you both good luck as you start getting into detailing. It's addictive
Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Mysteek
Lounge Gangsta!!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
NEVER EVER EVER EVER let the dealer wash your car!! It will swirl and scratch the sh!t outta your car!! JUST SAY NO!!
Mysteek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
It's addictive
Truer words have never been spoken (ok yeah that's an exaggeration), but if you seriously get into detailing, it's just like modding. Your wallet is going to thin out... a lot! But it's addictive and you will like it

Quote:
I make a living doing this stuff
Post some threads of your jobs! I love seeing the before and afters on the detailing forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteek View Post
NEVER EVER EVER EVER let the dealer wash your car!! It will swirl and scratch the sh!t outta your car!! JUST SAY NO!!
I thought the exact same thing, but lo and behold my mom went in for a wash on her new Honda CRV and guess what, very very minimal scratching (there was zero before) and they actually did a good job. The tires were dressed, the inside looked clean, the outside looked good. Whoever works at their dealership at least knows more than the average frog about how to clean a car lmao!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Truer words have never been spoken (ok yeah that's an exaggeration), but if you seriously get into detailing, it's just like modding. Your wallet is going to thin out... a lot! But it's addictive and you will like it

Post some threads of your jobs! I love seeing the before and afters on the detailing forums

I thought the exact same thing, but lo and behold my mom went in for a wash on her new Honda CRV and guess what, very very minimal scratching (there was zero before) and they actually did a good job. The tires were dressed, the inside looked clean, the outside looked good. Whoever works at their dealership at least knows more than the average frog about how to clean a car lmao!
I have posted a few on here. I don't get the super nice cars like the "big boys" (Todd and Phil) do. But I get by. I'm normally so strapped for time that I don't take many pics.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #21
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
That depends on your mindset and attention to detail. I will ALWAYS do a second two bucket wash after claying for 2 or more reasons. One, I want to make sure that I remove any clay residue as well as clay off the finish. The absolute last thing I want to happen is to have clay get caught in one of my pads and ruin it. Two, I want to see exactly what the finish looks like BEFORE I start working on it. Looking at a bunch of dried up detail spray can somewhat hide some of the paint damage. A artist starts with a clean canvas, not one with paint all over it. This is the canvas I want to see before a drop of polish leaves any of my bottles. Last of all, claying a car that has some serious contamination is going to take awhile, possibly days. By the time I'm done claying a '69 Lincoln, that car is going to be dusty. Buffing on a dusty or dirty car is not only wrong, it's stupid. Thus, that car is going to get another 2-bucket wash.

So there's THREE reasons to do a 2-bucket wash after claying.

Quote:
At the very most, I'd recommend a waterless wash to remove the clay residue. Certainly no reason to bust out a two bucket wash whatsoever.
The less you touch the paint, the better it is for the paint. If I am going to touch the paint in a manner to clean it after claying, I'm going to do it the safest way possible. Washing the car is a LOT safer than breaking out a towel, some quick detailer and wiping on the paint. The safest way trumps anything suggested here and properly washing a car is the safest way to remove dirt, period.

I can prove that all day long, video after video.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #22
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
That depends on your mindset and attention to detail. I will ALWAYS do a second two bucket wash after claying for 2 or more reasons. One, I want to make sure that I remove any clay residue as well as clay off the finish. The absolute last thing I want to happen is to have clay get caught in one of my pads and ruin it. Two, I want to see exactly what the finish looks like BEFORE I start working on it. Looking at a bunch of dried up detail spray can somewhat hide some of the paint damage. A artist starts with a clean canvas, not one with paint all over it. This is the canvas I want to see before a drop of polish leaves any of my bottles. Last of all, claying a car that has some serious contamination is going to take awhile, possibly days. By the time I'm done claying a '69 Lincoln, that car is going to be dusty. Buffing on a dusty or dirty car is not only wrong, it's stupid. Thus, that car is going to get another 2-bucket wash.

So there's THREE reasons to do a 2-bucket wash after claying.

The less you touch the paint, the better it is for the paint. If I am going to touch the paint in a manner to clean it after claying, I'm going to do it the safest way possible. Washing the car is a LOT safer than breaking out a towel, some quick detailer and wiping on the paint. The safest way trumps anything suggested here and properly washing a car is the safest way to remove dirt, period.

I can prove that all day long, video after video.

Nice. I'd like to see that myself. In which video do you compare the two methods and show a noticeable difference? Can you throw up a link?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Nice. I'd like to see that myself. In which video do you compare the two methods and show a noticeable difference? Can you throw up a link?

I didn't make a video comparing the two, but you can look at the videos that I do have up that show me claying and clearly see the amount of detail spray that would end up drying on the car. You also cannot deny the fact that clay residue can be left behind. You stated that in your own post. So sarcasm aside, I have and have stated my reasoning behind what I do. I always do. You are welcome to yours.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #24
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I didn't make a video comparing the two, but you can look at the videos that I do have up that show me claying and clearly see the amount of detail spray that would end up drying on the car. You also cannot deny the fact that clay residue can be left behind. You stated that in your own post. So sarcasm aside, I have and have stated my reasoning behind what I do. I always do. You are welcome to yours.
And I definitely have no problem with that, BECAUSE you always have a reason. I might not always agree, but at least we both have valid reasons. I just don't like when people say "Well, I do X, just because"

Most people wipe off the residue as they go. Or at least I would hope so...

Anyway, just another benefit of not using clay. It's the way of the past.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #25
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Dont let them wash it! When I got my car I didn't let the dealer wash it, and I never let anyone wash it but myself, then about a month ago I got rear ended, and when I was picking my car up from the dealer after it was repaired, they washed it without my permission, and there where swirl marks like crazy Just wash it yourself, it isn't worth the risk