Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Unhappy Nose/bumper section difficulties

I have my technique dialed in fairly well for the rest of the car and am happy with my finish on everything except the nose of the car. For some reason I can't seem to dial it in. I've tried using both 4 inch and 6 inch pads (the six inch are just about as wide as the nose section) and can't seem to get it to the level of finish as the rest of the car. I'm using a PC with Adam's products and keeping it a speed of 5, as far as pressure goes - I put a piece of blue painter's tape on the back of my backplate and use enough pressure so that it rotates slowly (one rotation a second or so).

I think there are probably a couple of issues at play here, but I'd really like some advice on how to attack it. Should I be using more pressure, a different size pad, higher speed?

Rewatching Junkman's video's I think I'm probably using too much pressure, but I'm interested to hear what kind of techniques people have used on this part of the car with success.

Last edited by ChadG; 09-29-2012 at 10:18 PM.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
I have my technique dialed in fairly well for the rest of the car and am happy with my finish on everything except the nose of the car. For some reason I can't seem to dial it in. I've tried using both 4 inch and 6 inch pads (the six inch are just about as wide as the nose section) and can't seem to get it to the level of finish as the rest of the car. I'm using a PC with Adam's products and keeping it a speed of 5, as far as pressure goes - I put a piece of blue painter's tape on the back of my backplate and use enough pressure so that it rotates slowly (one rotation a second or so).

I think there are probably a couple of issues at play here, but I'd really like some advice on how to attack it. Should I be using more pressure, a different size pad, higher speed?

Rewatching Junkman's video's I think I'm probably using too much pressure, but I'm interested to hear what kind of techniques people have used on this part of the car with success.
I agree with you, the nose is a bear to get right. I have the best luck using a smaller pad and lighter pressure. Let it spin a little more freely. I like to use that light pressure technique on flimsier plastic panels. Seems to work better for me.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I agree with you, the nose is a bear to get right. I have the best luck using a smaller pad and lighter pressure. Let it spin a little more freely. I like to use that light pressure technique on flimsier plastic panels. Seems to work better for me.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Agree with CD07. I also throw a bit more wax, DS and the real pop for me on both the hood and front bumper has been the Pinical 360 Spray wax that CD07 mentioned a while back. For some reason it just helps everything look better and it helps the bumpers blend better. At least it does on Rally Yellow.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Ok thanks guys, I tried both 4 and 6 inch pads and couldn't tell which was giving better results but it's reassuring to hear that lighter pressure might do the trick. I probably wasn't getting high enough rotational speed to do much correction because of the give of the plastic.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote