Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
Mild to Wild...now check engine light is on

I have been using the Mild To Wild exhaust controller for about 5-6 weeks now. It is installed just like the directions specify.
This weekend my check engine light came on.
I punched the blue button and asked for them to run diagnostics. The tech said that there was a problem with the exhaust not performing properly and I need to carry it to the dealer to get it resolved.
Anyone else have any problems like this whether they use the controller or not? I am not saying it has anything to to do with the M2W controller, but I have to wonder since the diagnostics point to the exhaust.
I will disconnect the M2W unit today and see if it makes any difference.
Stay tuned.

2013 ZL1, Victory Red, Auto, Sunroof
Microfiber Suede Interior, Premium Mats, Cargo Mat
Illuminated Footwell and Cupholders
Chevy MyLink Touchscreen System
tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
i have had the fuse pulled on mine for 600 miles no light it may be another part of the exhaust did they give you the code? if not stop by an autozone and they will read it and give you the code then look it up and see what it refers to before you go to the dealer and they charge you because its related to the mild to wild. I wouldnt think it would be though
Crystal Red Tint Coat/ Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
Road Trip To Buffalo complete shipment from MO has arrived
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
tonyfred

They did not give a code, just said the exhaust was not performing as expected.
If I have to go to the dealer, there wont be any trace of the M2W to be found.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfred View Post
They did not give a code, just said the exhaust was not performing as expected.
If I have to go to the dealer, there wont be any trace of the M2W to be found.

Except ONLINE
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You could call Onstar and ask them transfer you to a tech. The tech will be able to tell you what codes are being thrown, if a code is being thrown that is.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
tonyfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
[/B]

Except ONLINE
So you think the dealer will go to Camaro 5 and track my posts down? Really?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
htron50

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfred View Post
So you think the dealer will go to Camaro 5 and track my posts down? Really?
You got me I know in this day and age some activities are monitored pretty well. Who knows if GM cross checks dealer repairs and if they know people are doing this?? It doesn't sound major. I am curious if the exhaust code could be more specific to the oxygen sensors, catalytic conv, or just improperly working flaps. All I am saying is ... "there is a trace".... and I say it with compassion intended.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
tonyfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
You got me I know in this day and age some activities are monitored pretty well. Who knows if GM cross checks dealer repairs and if they know people are doing this?? It doesn't sound major. I am curious if the exhaust code could be more specific to the oxygen sensors, catalytic conv, or just improperly working flaps. All I am saying is ... "there is a trace".... and I say it with compassion intended.
I understand. Appreciate the input.
I will disconnect the battery today when I get home and let her set and see if I can get a reset.
That also made me think....I hit 1500 miles last week and did the fuse pull to reset the computer. The first time I drove it after putting the fuses back in is when the light came on. I was getting down on it pretty good when the light came on.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Speedforhire

Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
Simple way to test it:

Remove the M-2-W, clear the code by disconnecting the battery, then wait to see if it reappears. If so, you know the M-2-W was not the culprit.
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
BonestockZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
I bought the M2W and before I installed it I pulled the fuse. I like the way it sounds so the M2W is just sitting on my bench. Doubt I will ever put it in now.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #11
Speedforhire

Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonestockZL1 View Post
I bought the M2W and before I installed it I pulled the fuse. I like the way it sounds so the M2W is just sitting on my bench. Doubt I will ever put it in now.

...........didn't buy the M2W here......I like the "always on" feature of the fuse pull......

That's a damn funny sig pic Bone.............
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
The M2W box is just emulating an open fuse. Which should not throw a code, if it did there would be hundreds if not thousands of us with our check engine lights on. I have been running my Exhaust Commander for about 1300 miles now.

Sounds like when you were getting on it after taking it easy for the break in period you dislodged some soot onto a sensor. Just my guess,,, I bet another round of "spirited" driving would probably clear it
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
all the MILD to WILD is, is just a relay. it sources 12v and turns is on an off. you can test the mild to wild box with a simple test light. to see if it is functioning correclty. on will be 12V supplied, off there will be no voltage. that is all it does.

Now I can not comment if the circuit that controls the exhaust flaps iselft has any codes it can throw I have never looked into it. I would get the code number and google it.
hognutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #14
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349105324.096011.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  128.5 KB

Don't have my ZL1 yet, about two more weeks of waiting. The fuse pull for the exhaust baffles is F8, is that correct? I'm learning so much from this site. I plan on pulling mine out so that ground shaking rumble is always on.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
tonyfred

Update: I disconnected the battery and let her sit for about a half hour. No light now. I cant take her out because it is raining pretty hard here. But hopefully the issue is resolved and it was a false alarm light. I did not disconnect the M2W as I dont think it had anything to do with it.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742

Drives: his wife crazy
I did the fuse pull shortly after getting the car. The next day the CEL came in and then cleared on it's own. I put the fuse back in and took it to the dealership. It was the O2 sensor too rich/lean. They didn't specify which one. They cleared the code completely and I have since put the exhaust commander on and haven't seen a CEL since.
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
Mattzl1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I installed the mild to wild on my car the day I brought it home and have 1200 miles on it with no problems.
Mattzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
pwrmanpaul66
silverback

Drives: 2013 2SS RS LS3 Black on black
I have the dual mode exhaust on my 13 could someone inform me where to locate the fuse that you remove for all time open thanks in advanced !
Old 10-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrmanpaul66 View Post
I have the dual mode exhaust on my 13 could someone inform me where to locate the fuse that you remove for all time open thanks in advanced !
In the back right corner of the trunk. Remove the sound deadening material. Open the fuse box, and pull out the "F8" fuse
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
tonyfred

The fuse is F8 in the fuse box in the trunk. Here is a thread with pix.

http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216546

Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #21
pwrmanpaul66
silverback

Drives: 2013 2SS RS LS3 Black on black
Thanks guys ! have a good evening !
Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
I have M2W with no issues... turn it on and off all the time.

Just guessing but you most likely have some O2 sensor issues
Old 05-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #23
evonschu

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I put in my own toggle switch for this under the drivers seat and have had check engine lights come on twice so far. Each time I've brought it in to the dealership for. The first time they said one of my O2 sensors was bad and replaced. During this time I was turning the switch on and off to show people the difference.

After the O2 sensor replacement I drove with the switch off (basically no fuse) all of the time. No CEL after 3000 or so miles. Then last week I decided to turn it on and off again a few random times to hear the difference. Not long after I got a CEL. Brought it in to the dealer and now they want me to return it to stock to make sure thats not whats causing the issue. P0015b is the code. They said that even though the adaptive exhaust components are past the cats and O2 sensors the PCMs are engineered to expect a certain flow/back pressure and by making it different the sensors were reading way lean and threw a code. But they are not convinced thats what it is, thus want me to keep it stock to see if it returns.

I find it hard to believe it is just coincidence that I've driven about 3000 with it off with no CEL and not even 20 miles after turning it on and off a few times the CEL comes back on. The PCMs are smart and adjust fuel trims and stuff according to the readings of this and the MAF so it'd make sense that if I start fluctuating it on and off while its running would confuse it. I like it loud 100% of the time anyway so think I'm just going to leave it off permanently. Maybe the trick is to only turn it off if the car is off so when you start it up it'll adjust accordingly the STFT and eventually LTFT.

But I still don't really get this. That would mean anyone that gets performance cat back exhaust would need a tune to compensate (good to do anyway, but in my experience was not required to keep CELs away).

I'm going to leave it off for now. If I still get a CEL, I'm going to clear the code and put the fuse back in. If I still get a CEL then I'm bringing it back in. Hopefully some of you will find this information useful.
evonschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #24
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by evonschu View Post
I put in my own toggle switch for this under the drivers seat and have had check engine lights come on twice so far. Each time I've brought it in to the dealership for. The first time they said one of my O2 sensors was bad and replaced. During this time I was turning the switch on and off to show people the difference.

After the O2 sensor replacement I drove with the switch off (basically no fuse) all of the time. No CEL after 3000 or so miles. Then last week I decided to turn it on and off again a few random times to hear the difference. Not long after I got a CEL. Brought it in to the dealer and now they want me to return it to stock to make sure thats not whats causing the issue. P0015b is the code. They said that even though the adaptive exhaust components are past the cats and O2 sensors the PCMs are engineered to expect a certain flow/back pressure and by making it different the sensors were reading way lean and threw a code. But they are not convinced thats what it is, thus want me to keep it stock to see if it returns.

I find it hard to believe it is just coincidence that I've driven about 3000 with it off with no CEL and not even 20 miles after turning it on and off a few times the CEL comes back on. The PCMs are smart and adjust fuel trims and stuff according to the readings of this and the MAF so it'd make sense that if I start fluctuating it on and off while its running would confuse it. I like it loud 100% of the time anyway so think I'm just going to leave it off permanently. Maybe the trick is to only turn it off if the car is off so when you start it up it'll adjust accordingly the STFT and eventually LTFT.

But I still don't really get this. That would mean anyone that gets performance cat back exhaust would need a tune to compensate (good to do anyway, but in my experience was not required to keep CELs away).

I'm going to leave it off for now. If I still get a CEL, I'm going to clear the code and put the fuse back in. If I still get a CEL then I'm bringing it back in. Hopefully some of you will find this information useful.
Faulty switch possibly? I pulled the F8 fuse around 350 miles and have over 5800 miles now and no CEL.
ZL1-V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
It's worth a try, but when I had the mild to wild on my car I left it open most of the time and didn't have any codes. I don't think it changes the back pressure enough to try throw a code. Too many in service for it to be an issue.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote