Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
JohnNitecki

Drives: 12 black Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Automatic shifter rattling/ moving while in drive!

This is my first time posting! I bought this car brand new. Iíve had it for about 5 months now; just recently Iíve been noticing a couple rattling noises and squeaks. First the shift moves while in drive, is this normal? Itís an automatic. Itís not a lot but while driving you can see it moving which is causing the shift indicator plate to rattle which is extremely annoying! If itís in neutral or manual itís not as bad very faint. Itís a hassle every time I go to the dealer I would like to know a little more before I go in. Thanks in advance!
JohnNitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNitecki View Post
This is my first time posting! I bought this car brand new. Iíve had it for about 5 months now; just recently Iíve been noticing a couple rattling noises and squeaks. First the shift moves while in drive, is this normal? Itís an automatic. Itís not a lot but while driving you can see it moving which is causing the shift indicator plate to rattle which is extremely annoying! If itís in neutral or manual itís not as bad very faint. Itís a hassle every time I go to the dealer I would like to know a little more before I go in. Thanks in advance!
The shifter(handle) normally does not have any movement, it may be that the mounting screw is loose.
CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
JohnNitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
The shifter(handle) normally does not have any movement, it may be that the mounting screw is loose.
Are you talking about the little screw that holds the shifter ďgripĒ on? Because I took that whole assembly including the plastic shift indicator housing off to try and find the cause but I found the actual lever moves (which causes the plastic part to rattle). Kind of like the gears or transmission is allowing it too.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNitecki View Post
Are you talking about the little screw that holds the shifter ďgripĒ on? Because I took that whole assembly including the plastic shift indicator housing off to try and find the cause but I found the actual lever moves (which causes the plastic part to rattle). Kind of like the gears or transmission is allowing it too.
I was thinking the screw may have been loose, if not, there are no other parts that normally loosen up. The shaft that the shifter handle attaches to has no detectable play unless there is something drastically wrong with it. The only other thing that may be loose is the whole shifter assembly but that does not seem likely. Here are a couple of pictures of the assembly so you can see the mounting screws and how the shaft is attached
Attached Images

CFD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
JohnNitecki

thank you ill let you know what the dealer has to say.

Tags
automatic, issues, shifter