Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Redline Goods
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Old 10-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
JohnNitecki

Drives: 12 black Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Top leaking on passenger side

I just noticed the other day that thereís a leak (small drop) that runs down the passenger side window when I get a car wash. When I first bought the car they said that the recall on the top had already been fixed. Has anyone else had the same issue?
JohnNitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNitecki View Post
I just noticed the other day that thereís a leak (small drop) that runs down the passenger side window when I get a car wash. When I first bought the car they said that the recall on the top had already been fixed. Has anyone else had the same issue?
If it's an automatic car wash (even without rollers), that's normal if there are high-pressure jets shooting water horizontally against your car. You're lucky the floor of the back seat doesn't fill with water from the Camarostomy Bag. That's a whole other Thread.

If it bothers you, look for the source of the leak by shooting a garden hose at the passenger side, just a little section of the weather-stripping at a time.

Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
heymatt

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS Vert.
Similar problem, turned out to be the weather strip on the leading edge of the window.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNitecki View Post
I apologize for the frustration you may be experiencing. It also states in the owner's manual:

Convertible Top care
Frequently hand wash convertible tops with mild car wash soap. Never use a stiff brush, steam, bleach, or aggressive cleaners. If necessary, a soft brush can be used to remove dirt. When finished cleaning, thoroughly rinse the fabric. Avoid automatic car washes with overhead brushes or very high pressure sprays as they can cause damage and leaking.

Not sure if this was an automatic car wash that you used or not.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Sam I Am

Drives: 2011 Victory Red CV
This is my fourth convertible and they all leak to some degree in a high pressure car wash. If it doesn't lead in the blowing rain I wouldn't worry about it.
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Michael Rophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post

Convertible Top care
Avoid automatic car washes with overhead brushes or very high pressure sprays as they can cause damage and leaking.

Brandon
Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
I've noticed a tiny drip on the lower leading edge of the passenger window when hand washing the car. I haven't checked it since I got my new top. Next wash I will. I wasn't too concerned about it...yet. Had bigger fish to fry (nemo).
Complete rebirth 8/27/2012 (new 6/27/2012 revision top installed, new carpet, new tonneau cover and new third brake light)

MODS:
Solo Performance Exhaust: Axle Back with J-Pipes
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
JohnNitecki

Drives: 12 black Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I apologize for the frustration you may be experiencing. It also states in the owner's manual:

Convertible Top care
Frequently hand wash convertible tops with mild car wash soap. Never use a stiff brush, steam, bleach, or aggressive cleaners. If necessary, a soft brush can be used to remove dirt. When finished cleaning, thoroughly rinse the fabric. Avoid automatic car washes with overhead brushes or very high pressure sprays as they can cause damage and leaking.

Not sure if this was an automatic car wash that you used or not.

Brandon

The car wash I take it to (when Iím in a hurry and canít do it myself) is a touch less, and the sprayer isnít a jet. Itís basically like a home hose power not like the jet sprayers in the do it yourself bays.
JohnNitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
The Ratchet

Drives: 2011 RJT Vert 2LT/RS
In a high pressure touchless car wash with powerful jets - yes you will likely get the small drip. And for some reason moreso on the passenger side.

As long as it doesn't leak in a typical rainstorm it'll be okay. Unless with each car wash it gets worse, then you might want to have it looked at.
The Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Michael Rophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ratchet View Post
In a high pressure touchless car wash with powerful jets - yes you will likely get the small drip. And for some reason moreso on the passenger side.

As long as it doesn't leak in a typical rainstorm it'll be okay. Unless with each car wash it gets worse, then you might want to have it looked at.
With its reputation for taking on water, a Camaro convertible is the last car that should go through an automatic car wash.

That said, OK, I'm ready >
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Your top is fabric. You don't want to shoot high pressure water on that.

Use a manual car wash spray thing and lightly spray the top of the car. Don't put soap on the top fabric either. Just rinse it.

I am surprised ANYONE would run a convertible through an automated car wash.

That's like taking a 200 dollar shirt and throwing it into your washing machine with a bunch of towels and setting the machine on heavy load.

When the shirt comes out it probably will look like the dog ate it.

Your top can last a long time and look brand new. Just don't treat it like it is indestructible.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #12
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post

I am surprised ANYONE would run a convertible through an automated car wash.
The dealers do it all the time. They do it when they get the car, and again when they sell it. If you don't explicitly tell them not to they'll do it when you bring it in for service. My car was through one at least twice before I bought it. It does seem rather strange considering what the manual says, but it's a fact.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
cactuseater

Drives: .
Exactly what LEE and Michael said. Dealers do it all the time. And well before you take ownership of the car. The Convertible "supposedly" goes through this type of leak test before it leaves the factory as well. I would love to have seen the interior of the convertible after the fancy leak test shown on YouTube as an advertisement for the car's water tight top. Although you more than likely should not utilize a car wash for your car, or any car for that matter, it remains that the top shouldn't leak - as advertised.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
PartsTaxi.com

Drives: Parts Taxi
You may want to get a look at how the recall was done. The procedure left too much to the imagination of the technician imho. I actually saw a tech "perform the recall", and when he was done, went to close the top, and it tore a whole in the top because he had done the recall incorrectly and had the fabric pulled too tight. From what I understand, he is still seeking employment.
PartsTaxi.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
cactuseater

OUCH. That's what top replacement #2 out of FOUR looked like on mine. Torn up pretty bad.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #16
Michael Rophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Dealers do it all the time...
...unless you follow the car from carrier to checkbook. I bought one with no outside prep except to remove the white wrap. My instructions.

Two weeks ago I purchased a convertible that had been sitting on the lot since the middle of August. Eight miles on the meter. Very few, if any test-drives. It had been hosed off a few times, but no car wash. The top looked perfect. I bought it on the spot. The salesman said he'd have the Get Ready shop clean it up. I told him, "It's black...so no swirl marks or no deal." It came back perfect in 30 minutes. Not a swirl or blemish and the fabric top was completely dry.

Some dealers listen... others don't.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
cactuseater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rophone View Post
...unless you follow the car from carrier to checkbook. I bought one with no outside prep except to remove the white wrap. My instructions.

Two weeks ago I purchased a convertible that had been sitting on the lot since the middle of August. Eight miles on the meter. Very few, if any test-drives. It had been hosed off a few times, but no car wash. The top looked perfect. I bought it on the spot. The salesman said he'd have the Get Ready shop clean it up. I told him, "It's black...so no swirl marks or no deal." It came back perfect in 30 minutes. Not a swirl or blemish and the fabric top was completely dry.

Some dealers listen... others don't.

Exactly. There are actually some good one's out there. Mine seems to get amnesia with my instructions. Even when they are in writing.

Tags
convertible, leaking