Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions Discuss pricing and ordering experiences.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Deathmore

Drives: None Yet
Buying a Camaro How do I go about it? Dealers Welcome!!!

Hi everyone I am 20 years old and about to buy a new camaro. I have never bought a car before and have absolutely no credit. I am going to be putting $10,000 down and plan on getting a 2LT with RS Package, Mylink Navigation, and a automatic transmission. When I build it online it says MSRP is $32,940 so what do you think would be a fair price to actually pay for it. I am also wondering what everyone thinks the proper interest rate would be? My net income(after taxes) is around $34,000 a year and I have no bills. I would like to have the car paid off in 3 years but was thinking I should take a 5 year loan to be safe. Is this advisable? I would really like to get the 2SS in the same configuration but I told myself if my interest rates are over 8%(which i expect them to be) I would stick with the 2LT. I would really like to get a Black 2SS in that configuration for $38,000 with a 8% interest rate on a 4 year loan. Is this a unrealistic hope for a 20 year old with no credit, and a $10,000 down payment?

Thanks for reading and any help is really appreciated.

P.S. the 2SS in the configuration I want has a MSRP of $40,365
Deathmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmore View Post
Hi everyone I am 20 years old and about to buy a new camaro. I have never bought a car before and have absolutely no credit. I am going to be putting $10,000 down and plan on getting a 2LT with RS Package, Mylink Navigation, and a automatic transmission. When I build it online it says MSRP is $32,940 so what do you think would be a fair price to actually pay for it. I am also wondering what everyone thinks the proper interest rate would be? My net income(after taxes) is around $34,000 a year and I have no bills. I would like to have the car paid off in 3 years but was thinking I should take a 5 year loan to be safe. Is this advisable? I would really like to get the 2SS in the same configuration but I told myself if my interest rates are over 8%(which i expect them to be) I would stick with the 2LT. I would really like to get a Black 2SS in that configuration for $38,000 with a 8% interest rate on a 4 year loan. Is this a unrealistic hope for a 20 year old with no credit, and a $10,000 down payment?

Loans today are harder to get especially someone with no credit history. If you do get one either you will be paying a higher interest rate or need a co-signer or both. Go to CreditKarma.com and get your credit score. The higher the number the better. Also it will give you an idea on how hard it will be to get a loan. If possible get you a credit union savings and checking account and see if you can go through them to get a loan. Not necessarily a car loan but a personal loan or anything. Then pay it off in a couple months to help establish credit. After you do that see if you can get a car loan through them. The Credit union is also a good resource to find out what you should be able to get the car for. Mine also provides a buyers service where you tell them what you want and they will find one and get a price for you. Then all you have to do is give the OK and they will send you the dealer info and the check. You then just basically go get the car.
I know not all this works all the time but it worked for me and when my son established his credit.
Good luck.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
kevin1106

Drives: 2014 3LT-Z51 Vert
I think you could get the loan, but will be hard for you. I've heard most dealerships dont even waste their time if your credit score is under 700. So if you do get a loan, you will have a high interest rate...

Advice for you....trust me, I have a 817 credit score....

I'd buy a car for around 15k... Put your 10k down.... Do a 3year loan on the rest... Try to pay it off in a year... Then you will have some decent credit to show...then go for the SS that you want....during that time frame (paying on your 5k loan), get a credit card and use it wisely... Don't max it out,but use it every month and pay all of it off every month, but leave a small balance.... Like 50.00... Next month,use it again... An do the same...

This is the best way to get your credit going in the right direction... Just don't be late on any payments... You'd be doing this for nothing if your late...

GL
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Deathmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1106 View Post
I think you could get the loan, but will be hard for you. I've heard most dealerships dont even waste their time if your credit score is under 700. So if you do get a loan, you will have a high interest rate...

Advice for you....trust me, I have a 817 credit score....

I'd buy a car for around 15k... Put your 10k down.... Do a 3year loan on the rest... Try to pay it off in a year... Then you will have some decent credit to show...then go for the SS that you want....during that time frame, get a credit card and use it wisely... Don't max it out,but use it every month and pay all of it off every month, but leave a small balance.... Like 50.00... Next month,use it again... An do the same...

This is the best way to get your credit going in the right direction... Just don't be late on any payments... You'd be doing this for nothing if your late..

GL
Thanks for the great advice but don't you think buying a $15,000 car to build credit to lower interest rates on a $40,000 car will cost me more in the long run then the higher interest rate? Also what is considered high?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
go in with saying no money down and let them give you that option. once you throw all your cards out there you have nothing to fall back on. i went in telling them i wanted this this and this(knowing they wouldnt give me that) but they met in the middle where i wanted. i told them i wasnt putting any money down and i want my payments at $250/month. of course they came back hell no. but they came with the offer of put $1000 down and we can get your payments at $365/month. i actually had 5k to put down. the most i really wanted to put down was 2500 and use that difference on mods and a few months of payments. also somebody should give you there $1000 gm off as well too. i didnt use that till the end too. so that got my payments down to $340
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
RJ111

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Anything over 8% is high.The last few cars I financed was at 3.9% and 4.9% which is about normal.I just financed my ZL1 at 1.49% which is really good,at Penfed.org.I always pay mine off early though,finance for 60 and pay them off in 2-3 yrs max.

Rotofad Cai,Rotofab Reservoir.

Trueforged 20/20 Competitions
Satin Black centers
Gloss Black lips
Nitto Invo 295/35/20
Nitto Invo 315/35/20
RJ111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Deathmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
go in with saying no money down and let them give you that option. once you throw all your cards out there you have nothing to fall back on. i went in telling them i wanted this this and this(knowing they wouldnt give me that) but they met in the middle where i wanted. i told them i wasnt putting any money down and i want my payments at $250/month. of course they came back hell no. but they came with the offer of put $1000 down and we can get your payments at $365/month. i actually had 5k to put down. the most i really wanted to put down was 2500 and use that difference on mods and a few months of payments. also somebody should give you there $1000 gm off as well too. i didnt use that till the end too. so that got my payments down to $340
Wow man thanks I never thought of that but it definitely seems like a great idea. I definitely would have went in and told them exactly what I wanted and had. Thanks so much
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Deathmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ111 View Post
Anything over 8% is high.The last few cars I financed was at 3.9% and 4.9% which is about normal.I just financed my ZL1 at 1.49% which is really good,at Penfed.org.I always pay mine off early though,finance for 60 and pay them off in 2-3 yrs max.
Yes I know 8% is outrages for someone with a 800 credit score, but I just want to make sure I'm going in with realistic expectations for someone in my situation. Is it actually possible for someone in my situation to get a 3.9% rate?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
what color you looking at buying too. u can go used too from carmax.com that will save you couple thousand dollars too

i dont know where you live but heres a few

http://www.carmax.com/enus/search-re...b-ad86f7797263
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
kevin1106

Drives: 2014 3LT-Z51 Vert
Quote:
Thanks for the great advice but don't you think buying a $15,000 car to build credit to lower interest rates on a $40,000 car will cost me more in the long run then the higher interest rate? Also what is considered high?
To make it simple, I paid 38k for my car... When I get through with my loan.... I paid the bank back 45,000.00.... That's 7,000 in interest...

In your situation, you'd pay more than double that.... And that at a 4.20% interest rate...

So, to answer your question.... I'd work on my credit before I'd buy a 40k car.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Fyx

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
From what I understand, it is easier to get a loan for someone with BAD credit then someone with NO credit history. If you really have no credit history and no co-signer, your interest rate will be 10%+ at the least. My advice? Do what you want if you can afford it. It's your money, your life.
Fyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #12
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
1. Have a plan, go to more then one dealership
2. Know your spending limit
3. Ensure you familiarize yourself with "Interest rates"
4. Take your time when negotiating
5. Ask for incentives that dealership may offer (free oil changes for life, etc)
6. Is a co-signer an option with low credit history
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
horrido

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
I started on edmunds.com. Selected 'contact dealers' and selected all dealers in my area. I was bombarded with emails. I wrote them back, telling them what car I was looking for, and said 'firm' (which I wasn't). I also mentioned that I was getting bombarded with emails from other dealers. Went to one of the dealers after he was closed, and looked at what he had on the lot. Returned the email the dealer sent out, and told him again what car I wanted. Went down to talk in person. The dealer said said he couldn't find that car - would I like to order? I said 'No - let me take this one for a drive'. We talked price, and he came in $400 below invoice. He was a nice guy. If you get a jerk, move on. I told him I'd be in the next day with a check. He asked me to put some money down - I refused. Told him I needed a night to sleep on it. The next day, I called around and found the car I had originally said I wanted (which I didn't - just a ploy). I called the 'test drive dealer' and told him I found the car I was looking for. He dropped his price another $400. I went in and bought it.

Don't tell them anything about your personal situation. The less they know the better. Make sure the price they quote includes all fees. After they quote you a price, ask them "Does that include all fees? Like advertising fees, document fees or anything else?" I also recommend you refuse ALL dealer options. They might try to snag you with a special loan payment option where you'll pay off your loan early by paying biweekly, instead of monthly. Don't take it - it's a rip off.

I know you have your heart set on that $40k car, but you can get into a V6 for half that, and mod it. I got a 1LS, put on exhaust, lowering springs, fogs, and OEM SSRS wheels and tires. Its cheaper to insure the V6 too, I believe.

Good luck, and have fun!

Last edited by horrido; 10-03-2012 at 11:41 PM.
horrido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
Cooley

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY1STCAMAR0 View Post
1. Have a plan, go to more then one dealership
2. Know your spending limit
3. Ensure you familiarize yourself with "Interest rates"
4. Take your time when negotiating
5. Ask for incentives that dealership may offer (free oil changes for life, etc)
6. Is a co-signer an option with low credit history
I would like to add one point to this:
7. Check with your company (or neighborhood) credit union, if for no
other reason than to get the dealership to compete with the interest
rate.
Cooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Before you buy you may want to read this.
http://moneygirl.quickanddirtytips.c...ld-credit.aspx

It's better to wait a while and get your credit established. It will save you a lot of hassle and money in the future if you do.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
1camaro70

Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99
1. join a credit union
2. deposit your money
3. get pre-approved for loan
4. around this end of PA rates are below 3%
5. be sure to check Edmunds and KBB to know the dealer cost, add about $500 and keep that in mind, you also should check incentives on edmunds and manuf. to dealer money, but on Camaro that is in doubt.
there is $1000 conquest cash, 1.9% financing thru GM.
Little secret: if you say you have credit union rate of 2% they will usually match as they can get money for originating loan from bank, which is normal practice.
1camaro70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #17
Deathmore

Thank you very much everybody. I'm waiting till the end of december to buy the car to try and get a better deal. But if I was going to have my car ordered would I negotiate and Pay when they order it or when it gets there. Also would someone in my credit situation be eligible for low gm financing? I know they offer it at the end of every year but I thought you had to have a certain credit score to apply.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #18
Titan

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS
I would shop around for a used one to be honest with you. I just bought a used 2012 1SS with under a thousand miles on it for $28,750. It cost me a hundred dollar airplane ticket to go get it but it saved me thousands versus buying a new one a my local dealer. Don't be afraid of an adventure.
As far as financing goes, join a credit union. With that much to put down you should have options available to you. Good luck
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
Orange Krate
Not just any car!

Drives: Orange Krate DOB - 11/22/2010
Talking **Go ahead buy it! You only live once!**

All the posts above have some good info...

My credit union is offering 1.99% through Oct 31st on car refinancing! As for shopping for Camaros... I visited 13 different dealerships before I ordered mine from a local dealer who BEAT everyone else.

There is nothing wrong with used if you can get a legit car history or certified pre-owned. With the way fuel is, people will often make a sudden sell and go to a small car under duress. If yours will be a daily driver a 6 cyl makes much more sense for a 20 year old with limited funds.

When I got my first Camaro at 20 I was in HEAVEN! Good luck.

Simi Valley, CA
email: orangekrate2011@yahoo.com
Orange Krate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
justindewoody

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Thank you very much everybody. I'm waiting till the end of december to buy the car to try and get a better deal. But if I was going to have my car ordered would I negotiate and Pay when they order it or when it gets there. Also would someone in my credit situation be eligible for low gm financing? I know they offer it at the end of every year but I thought you had to have a certain credit score to apply.
Why don't you just go to the dealership, have them run your credit and then submit your deal to the banks. Have them call you with the best interest they can get for you. There will be 5 to 10 lenders they submit you to, and they will all come back with what we call a Buy Rate. That's the rate they are offering to take the deal. The dealership will call you back and then you can compare to other dealerships. Then call the other dealers and say "Well So and So Chevy down the street said they could get me 4.9%...can you beat that?" Trust me, they will beat it. Dealerships can buy down the rate in order to get your business. Good luck.
justindewoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
2Carats
Here comes TrOuBLe

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
There is some really good info from all the members who posted, however, not all the info is going to work out for you due to how willing the banks and dealerships are in working with you and your situation. Get it in your mind first, dealerships and banks are not your friends! They are businessminded and are trying to make money off of you. I agree with joining a credit union, get an unsecured credit card, and if you use it, pay it off. When you are ready to purchase, borrow from your credit union. They usually have better rates. Know exactly what you want! This is important. If you want an SS, get it. The same for the LT, but know what is a dealbreaker and what you can live with in terms of options, color, etc.
Search the internet for the exact car you want. But keep an open mind, you might have to go get it. Once you find it, contact a few dealerships and negotiate the selling price only! Check with your insurance company for private offers. USAA, Farm Bureau and a few more offer private offers that you can use when negotiating to get a cheaper selling price. Always ask the dealership if there are any rebates or special offers on Camaros. Dont be in a rush to leap into a situation that you may regret later on. And dont plan on buying a vehicle on the first day. Unless everything you want works in your favor. You should never pay MSRP for a vehicle even after tax, title, and license... hell, in some cases, even after financing! Do your homework on dealership strategies, financing, negotiations, and what you can afford. This will empower you and you'll have more confidence in one of the most stressful events... buying a vehicle. Good luck!

Mind controlled by Cerebro
Old 10-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
Jonster

Drives: '12 2ss IOM Camaro Vert
All of your questions really depend on you.

I am in a similar situation. I plan on buying a camaro within the next few months and have been researching like crazy. I know I wanted a convertible, but was waiving between the 2LT and 2SS. I can afford both, it is just a matter of how I want to set my priorities with my funds. Just imagine all the crap you can buy with the extra money not spend on a 2SS. But then again, I have heard many people pay for the 2LT and regret it a couple months later not saving up for the SS in the first place.

These people are right with being firm and confident with what you want to pay. I have been to three dealers thus far getting prices on 2SS RS convertibles. Among the three dealers there was a difference thousands of dollars between the price...and the dealerships were all within a 30mi radius.
Jonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #23
edamon

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT / Brembo Pkg
Question

Quote:

P.S. the 2SS in the configuration I want has a MSRP of $40,365
for one.. lease the car.

secondly, keep the 10K in your pocket and put down a $1500 cap reduction. Use the remaining money to invest and offset the payments...
remember a car is a depreciating asset...

lastly, buy the car for invoice (very easy... start with truecar.com).

at the 36mo lease end, you can negotiate the price (so you are no worse then having purchased it, just lower payments to date... and if the market is soft... give it back to them... last thing they want is more iron on the lot).

No idea what to tell you on which model to go with, that's up to you, but remember invoice. If you don't want to get into the back and forth, tell them the invoice and minus any rebates, tell them that is the price you'll pay, period. They don't like it, walk. They won't let you leave, they still make money on the hold back and net-net price to them.

Dealers prey on people like yourself. Toss it back their way. They know what they are into these vehicles for. So when they say things like "look if you can give me another $350.... we can close this..." just say "no, why don't you give me $500 and we can close this..." just turn it into a they problem.

best,
d
edamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
justinxxvii

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS Ashen Gray
I have fantastic credit, 770s. Dealer approved me for 4.5%. I went to my bank and they gave me 3%.

Later on the dealer asked why I didn't come back to him to compete on the interest rate. He said he could get me 1.9%. I was not aware that interest rates are negotiable. A little research uncovered that dealers will actually get approval for one rate, but quote you another and pocket the difference.

If there is someone that trusts you, and believes that you can in fact afford a 38k car, go to the bank and ask about getting an auto loan. Find out the best rate you can get from them. If they won't give you a loan because you don't have any credit history, you're going to have to get some.

If you go to a dealer you're going to get your nuts handed to you in a paper sack. If you have no idea what the baseline is, they'll jack the rate way up to make extra $$$ off of you.
justinxxvii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #25
taylormc

Drives: suv, sedan
I'm happy to share about this excellent website I had found and glad to recommend it to everyone who is thinking to buy a vehicle now. I had no idea how to start, but the website helped me figure it all out. I found the vehicle I wanted and got a car loan to help pay for it. It was anything I needed! How often have you needed more details concerning a new or pre-owned car and turned to an internet search on ”loans on car?” Your search is over, whatever you will want is located at CarDealExpert.com!
taylormc is offline   Reply With Quote