Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Unhappy Don't think this one's gonna buff out..

Guys, I can barely even steady my hands to type this all out. I don't think I've ever been this shaken up in my short life. I suppose that's a good thing, actually.

Let's set the scene. I'm driving down a divided highway (road with a median) and all of a sudden, I see a black pickup truck to my left, driving paralell to me, but on the wrong side of the road. I pull up to the stoplight, and he does too. The light turns green and I stick my hand out to wave him through, thinking he had made a mistake and I'd let him get back over to the correct side through the intersection. He didn't move, so I went ahead. Less than a 1/4 mile later, I see a vehicle tailgating me big time, moving closer, then backing off, then back up, flashing their hi-beams. It was fairly dark, so I didn't know if it was the same car or what. I move over to my right, to the center lane, thinking whoever it was would just speed past. Wrong. The truck moves over two lanes, to the far right lane, and pulls up right beside me. Not even a second later, he rams my car on the passenger side, HARD. At this point, I get behind him and start honking, hoping he'll pull over. At the same time, I dial 911 and report the accident, telling the dispatch his license plate #, and asking what I should do, keep following him or pull over.

While she's taking down my location, we stop at a stoplight, me right behind him. He proceeds to get out of the vehicle, wander around, and starts yanking on the side mirror of the car to the side of him. I tell the dispatch, you need to send someone, I don't know if this guy has a weapon, or what he's on. He gets back in his truck, puts it in reverse and SLAMS back into the front of my car. At this point, I'm terrified, thinking this guy is targeting me for something, I have no idea what. He then speeds off, and I tell the dispatch, "I need help, NOW." I pulled into a gas station and waited for the police to arrive.

The police arrive (30 minutes later), telling me they have him in custody, that he hit at least two more cars by the time they caught him, about 5 miles up the road. The officer told me he appeared to be under the influence of something, he didn't say alcohol or what.

I am not a religious man, but I thank whatever is out there that I didn't get hurt and that this man didn't have a weapon. The car can be fixed, it's just a thing. The airbags didn't go off, I'm not injured, and I hope nobody else he hit is, either. It killed me, because this car was my dream. From the time my grandfather took me to it's unveiling at the Detroit Auto Show, I set aside every penny I had until I could afford it when I was 20 years old.

I think it'll be ok. I need a new door, mirror, rear rocker, at least one wheel, new hood, new grille and new front fascia. It wasn't leaking anything and the engine sounded good. I'm thinking it's all just bodywork, or I'm hoping.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
That is horrible man! Good thing nobody is hurt....he'll get his soon enough.
AAC Amber Halo's///LSR Short Throw Shifter///BMR Front & Rear Sway Bars///BMR Lowering Springs (1.4")///Airaid CAI///BBK Headers & Mid-Pipes///Borla "Catback" Exhaust///Debadged & Tail Bezels Plasti-dipped///Blacked Out Tail-lights & Bowties///SCT Tuner w JRE Tune///Elite Engineering Catch Can///ATL F&R Cross-Drilled and Slotted Rotors///Duralast Ceramic Brake Pads (Front)///Duralast Metallic Brake Pads (Rear)///Gen5DIY Separate Clutch Reservoir///Harwood 5" Cowl Induction Hood///ZL1 Spoiler
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: '13 WRX STi
That sucks man!

I'm glad your ok tho!
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
wow, that is crazy, glad you're ok, make sure you press charges against that lunatic, hopefully he gets thrown in jail.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
Glad to see you're okay, another example of how crazy people can be. Hope you get your baby back on the road soon
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: I drive the green one
Wtf man , That guy was insane ! They need to see to it and put him away for attempted murder.
I hope it all works out and you get it fixed . I feel for you man. Sorry
Old 10-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
wow, that is crazy, glad you're ok, make sure you press charges against that lunatic, hopefully he gets thrown in jail.
What can I press charges for? I mean, the cops said he has insurance and they have him in custody. I'm sure my car will get taken care of through his insurance. I'm not hurt or anything.

And I'm not meaning to sound confrontational, I really just don't know. I've never been in a wreck before, and certainly nothing like this.

And thank you to everyone for the well-wishes. I know to most poeple it's just a car, but you guys know as well as I do that it's really a part of us.

I do have to say, I was really impressed with the integrity of the front end. It buckled up just like it was supposed to and really did it's job of protecting me. I know he couldn't have gained much speed in reverse, but he really did hit me hard, and it doesn't look like anything went into the engine bay at all (at least looking at it from the outside)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Wow, that's crazy! So glad your ok! Goes to show the crazy people on the road! Can't imagine what you must have gone through.

Maybe take it as an opportunity to upgrade the fascia? Or get a new grille? Or hood?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
What can I press charges for? I mean, the cops said he has insurance and they have him in custody. I'm sure my car will get taken care of through his insurance. I'm not hurt or anything.

And I'm not meaning to sound confrontational, I really just don't know. I've never been in a wreck before, and certainly nothing like this.

And thank you to everyone for the well-wishes. I know to most poeple it's just a car, but you guys know as well as I do that it's really a part of us.
your life was in danger, of course you can press charges, he was trying to run you off the road and then slam his vehicle into the front of your car.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
your life was in danger, of course you can press charges, he was trying to run you off the road and then slam his vehicle into the front of your car.

Thank you. I will look into it, the police officer didn't mention it. By the way, I was so impressed with the officer and the dispatcher. They could not have been more courteous or helpful. The officer kept telling me to take my time when I was writing out the report and everything. He even apologized profusely for how long it took for him to arrive, which wasn't really even that bad (probably about 30 minutes). Kudos to Richardson PD!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #11
tjk_art

Drives: 2010 CGM w/ black stripes
well damn, that was an interesting read.
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
2ss2012

Drives: 2012 2ss ahen grey
Dang Dude glad your ok
2ss2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Black N' Yellow

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
That's horrible, glad you ok. Life could always be worse, but it sound likes you've got a good attitude.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black N' Yellow View Post
That's horrible, glad you ok. Life could always be worse, but it sound likes you've got a good attitude.
You know, I never really even got angry. I was really scared for a while, then I realized I was ok, and the car looked like it was fixable. I calmed down pretty quick once I was away from him.

Now, ask me how I feel a week into driving my Dodge Avenger, or whatever the hell Enterprise gives me, lol. I may be singing a different tune.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #15
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Wow! I'm glad you're ok CD... hope everything works out and you get your car back in perfect condition soon. Good luck to you! When I had my hit n run last year I got an Impala... I was disappointed to say the least in the performance category with it.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
2010abmss

Drives: 2010 ABM SS
I'm glad your ok buddy but the great state of Texas I think I would have put a few rounds of .45 in his chest he could have easily pulled you out of the car and beat you especially if he was under the influence of something. Count your blessings on this one.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #17
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Whoa! Sorry about your misfortune. Glad you didn't get hurt.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #18
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Any accident pictures I see, I always say... ZL1 conversion!
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #19
The Sandman
Flying Low & Raining 3's

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Ann. Edition
Sorry to hear about your car and glad that you were not injured. I'd give it a couple days or longer to make sure there are no lingering back, neck, or joint pains. I was rear ended last year in a Mazda 6 and it took about 36 hours before the whiplash and back pain hit me hard. 3 months of physical therapy and deep tissue massage later and all's back to normal. Since this was in no way an accident, I believe Texas has a statute of injury limitation of up to 2 years. My 2 cents, this sounds grossly negligent and/or intentional.

Quote:
What is reckless or grossly negligent conduct?
A: Reckless conduct is conduct that constitutes a blatant departure from what a reasonable person would do under the same or similar circumstances and typically involves a substantial, unjustifiable risk of harm to others with a conscious or deliberate indifference to that risk. Under Texas law, gross negligence "means more than momentary thoughtlessness, inadvertence, or error of judgment. It means such an entire want of care as to establish that the act or omission in question was the result of actual conscious indifference to the rights, welfare, or safety of the persons affected by it." (PJC 4.2A).
Q: What is intentional conduct?
A: Simply stated, intentional conduct is an act preformed with a conscious purpose or intent.
Keep us posted and again, glad you are safe and healthy.
The Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #20
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Very sorry the hear this happen to you, with so many folks on the road one has to keep their eye's open and ahead and just get out of their way. Glad to your doing fine and the Camaro can be fix or replaced.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #21
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: CGM w/Black stripes
what a frightening experience. The car will be fixed, you will be back.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 AM   #22
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
WOW!!! thats all I can say at the moment! WOW!!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #23
Rockey33

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro SS
I am glad you are ok. Sorry to hear about this.
Rockey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #24
MR 45TH

Drives: 45th 2SS Vert
Holy crap that is crazy! Deff the right attitude to have during something like this, the car can be fixed! Just glad you are good to go!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #25
malave7567

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
glad to hear you're ok. That's just insane... I always see your topics and cleaning advice on this forum and I think everyone here can tell the amount of care and work you put into your Camaro. I'm hoping you can get it back as soon as possible and have it looking brand new again.