Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SMGSS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Changing Pedals

I am changing my pedals so I can have a wider gas pedal to make heel/toe easier. I can see where the brake and clutch pedals are rubber and easy to slip off but how do you remove the gas pedal?

I was looking it over and had an idea to remove the aluminum trim from the plastic piece underneath, but don't want to ruin it.

Anyone done this already?
TIA
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
Swacer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had the exact same feeling you did. I found the factory pedals too small (the ZL1 pedals are the same overall size) and I hated to toe/heel with it.

I got a set of Ligenfelter pedals and love them.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C381

You are right, the rubber comes off the brake and clutch pedals. Unfortunately, you CAN'T remove the plastic from the gas pedal.

SO, for the Lingenfelter pedals, you take the rubber off the brake and clutch, and then you get to drill into all 3 pedals. It worked our great. A little nerveracking while you drill your pedals, but I'm very happy with how it turned out. Let me see if I can find a picture and send it to you later.
~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Thanks, I am with you on this except for how to remove the stock ZL1 gas pedal. Is it rubber and slips off like the brake and clutch? It didn't seem like it.

I am good with the brake and clutch (drilling is no problem) but I am not clear on what to do with the gas pedal (and of course, that is the one I care about most).

Thanks again!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Swacer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Thanks, I am with you on this except for how to remove the stock ZL1 gas pedal. Is it rubber and slips off like the brake and clutch? It didn't seem like it.

I am good with the brake and clutch (drilling is no problem) but I am not clear on what to do with the gas pedal (and of course, that is the one I care about most).

Thanks again!
Hmm....that I can't answer for you because you're right, it does have that little bit of metal over the pedal. For a normal SS/LT/LS its just a rubbery pedal and I drilled RIGHT into that.
~Imperial Blue Metallic~LS3~M6~GM High Spoiler~GM Ground Effect~GM Tower Brace~Heritage Grill~Roto-Fab Cold Air Intake~Stainless Works Exhaust~Stainless Power Headers~VMAX Ported Throttle Body~Tuned By Frost~GEN5DYI Spare Clutch Reservior~Barton Short Throw~ShowStopper Side Markers
Swacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Pgoldston

Drives: 1999 camaro
Not trying to jack the thread but my wife is 5'2" and is having issues with the clutch. Making her feel uncomfortable while driving her ZL1. I know that you can buy the pedal extender for the regular ss camaro but will it work on the ZL1 as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Sorry, don't know about extensions.
I dont see any way to take gas pedal off. :(

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Looks like I stumped the board.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Dr.Spike

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 (IOM)
Happy_Dan,

Not sure if you ever got your answer and I don't mean to post in an older thread, but you can remove the gas pedal by removing 3 bolts and unplugging a wire.

The metal part is just pressed on, from the back of the pedal with a small screwdriver or the like you can pry up on the metal tabs and the metal trim will come right off.

Attach the billet gas pedal before you re-install it in you car, it will save some contortion moves when the pedal is installed in the car.

Hope that helps. I can try and get some photos if that would help.

As for pedal extensions, I have no idea, never looked into them.
Dr.Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Thanks Dr. Spike, appreciate the followup!
I did get an answer that the pedal assembly was all on piece and I almost bought an SS assembly to keep mine intact, but finally decided to just put the new pedal right over the old one. It worked out great. Just took some time and patience to line it up right to get the holes in the right places (avoided the up gap areas) and then mounted it.

It worked out great! Heel/Toe downshifts are not easy for me.
Thanks again, I am sure this information will help someone.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Dr.Spike

You are welcome. It is good to hear that you got your answer and were able to get it installed.

Yeah heel/toe shifting takes practice. Depending on how the pedals are set up they can certainly make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Thanks Dr. Spike, appreciate the followup!
I did get an answer that the pedal assembly was all on piece and I almost bought an SS assembly to keep mine intact, but finally decided to just put the new pedal right over the old one. It worked out great. Just took some time and patience to line it up right to get the holes in the right places (avoided the up gap areas) and then mounted it.

It worked out great! Heel/Toe downshifts are not easy for me.
Thanks again, I am sure this information will help someone.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

I meant to say, NOW easy! LOL.

I have quite a bit of practice and like to think I am pretty good and smooth but my foot would slip between the pedals because the space was so wide. Scared me more than once when I was trying to get the brake hard and trying to blip the throttle at the same time.

Now I can easily reach and my confidence is back when braking and downshifting.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Old 10-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
Dr.Spike

Nice looking pedals.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Thank you, they work really well for me.
I must add that the customer service was excellent. Good communications through the process, we never seem to give enough credit to good service. Thank you to Brian.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #15
Blu Ray

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT/RS/M6
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
What size bolts are those? Nothing in my socket set fits over the bolts

FOUNDER
NY/NJ/PA DOMESTIC CAR CLUB
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote