Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Mods without chiller/HX

I am about to upgrade S/C pulley (12-13lbs boost), CAI with a tune and was wondering now that temps are down and we are heading into winter, do I need to updrade the HX/get a Super Chiller? My plans were to wait until spring to add the Super Chiller since the temps will be nice and cool for the next 6 months. The caveat to that is I do go to the roadcourse frequently and this is my DD. Please advise.
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,733
I would personally do "something" now. whether it is as simple as a lager resivoir or upgraded HX/chiller. meth kit would work but not well for the roadcoarse.

I know at 8.6lbs on a hot day seem like timing is being yanked. so maybe 12-13lbs turns into timing be pulled on a 75 degree day.

I am really torn between KDi hx or the chiller. The only thing that give me pause about the chiller from an enginnering perspective is the fact it is an ad on system more issues to trouble shoot down the road potentially. this is my daily as well. everybody who mods cars has had the one car they took too far and made tempormental. I know whith a good HX it is just a mechanical part. I think the chiller has better performacne attribues but so to many other parts I won't run on a daily.
__________________
2013 ZL1 10%lower,rotfab,90mmtb,SP headers
(president of the tangent oregon trophy husband association, founding and only member)
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,077
The RX SuperChiller is really no different than having rear AC like a SUV/van so should be trouble free. We have dozens of them in use and rarely has anyone had any issues. Its all mechanical as well. Once it is in, it requires no maintanance either.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The RX SuperChiller is really no different than having rear AC like a SUV/van so should be trouble free. We have dozens of them in use and rarely has anyone had any issues. Its all mechanical as well. Once it is in, it requires no maintanance either.

I am sure it is a great product do you guy's have install instructions and stuff for it? I assume it has to have some kind of fittings and such to tap the ac system. I doubt you have any installers in oregon so I would rather take my time and do it myself.

I definatly like the idea of blow ambient intake temps.
__________________
2013 ZL1 10%lower,rotfab,90mmtb,SP headers
(president of the tangent oregon trophy husband association, founding and only member)
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,077
No installers in Oregon your correct.

As long as you have a AC recovery machine and are handy you can do the install, but if needed we are usually available to help via phone.

Instructions we can send ahead of time, just PM your email.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
No installers in Oregon your correct.

As long as you have a AC recovery machine and are handy you can do the install, but if needed we are usually available to help via phone.

Instructions we can send ahead of time, just PM your email.

I will just have a shop evactute and I have vaccum pump and gauges for the refill.

I will shoot you a pm.
__________________
2013 ZL1 10%lower,rotfab,90mmtb,SP headers
(president of the tangent oregon trophy husband association, founding and only member)
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The RX SuperChiller is really no different than having rear AC like a SUV/van so should be trouble free. We have dozens of them in use and rarely has anyone had any issues. Its all mechanical as well. Once it is in, it requires no maintanance either.

PM sent
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
TrekGTO

 
TrekGTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St Pete Fl
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
I am about to upgrade S/C pulley (12-13lbs boost), CAI with a tune and was wondering now that temps are down and we are heading into winter, do I need to updrade the HX/get a Super Chiller? My plans were to wait until spring to add the Super Chiller since the temps will be nice and cool for the next 6 months. The caveat to that is I do go to the roadcourse frequently and this is my DD. Please advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I am sure it is a great product do you guy's have install instructions and stuff for it? I assume it has to have some kind of fittings and such to tap the ac system. I doubt you have any installers in oregon so I would rather take my time and do it myself.
I definatly like the idea of blow ambient intake temps.
The Super Chiller is a no cut installation. All my adapters are CNC at existing connections. Custom AN fittings seal with O-Ring to Chiller Core, in fact the entire system uses standard AC O Rings. This is completely reversible if you want to put car back to stock. A passive Heat Exchanger can’t compete with refrigerating the coolant. The core is Stainless Steel and only moving part is the Expansion Valve.
More info Here and Here.

I have a great offer standing to first ZL1 to come in for installation. There are a couple members interested but scheduling has been the hold up. I hope to have a ZL1 kit ASAP. We don’t do universal kits every kit is model and Blower Specific. ZL1 will make the 4th Camaro kit alone. We have another CTS V arriving from TX Friday; this one is for the Xtreme Chiller project.
__________________

ORIGINAL SUPER CHILLER Since 09
ACTIVE INTERCHILLER.com
FACEBOOK
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,077
No waiting for the RX Super Chiller.....have been shipping and installing for months. Lots of them in use to ask the members how they like it.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Nailn it
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
No waiting for the RX Super Chiller.....have been shipping and installing for months. Lots of them in use to ask the members how they like it.

The superchiller is the way to go! Not a downside to it.
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
rforbes

 
rforbes's Avatar
 
Drives: IOM SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Colony, Texas
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGTO View Post
The Super Chiller is a no cut installation. All my adapters are CNC at existing connections. Custom AN fittings seal with O-Ring to Chiller Core, in fact the entire system uses standard AC O Rings. This is completely reversible if you want to put car back to stock. A passive Heat Exchanger canít compete with refrigerating the coolant. The core is Stainless Steel and only moving part is the Expansion Valve.
More info Here and Here.

I have a great offer standing to first ZL1 to come in for installation. There are a couple members interested but scheduling has been the hold up. I hope to have a ZL1 kit ASAP. We donít do universal kits every kit is model and Blower Specific. ZL1 will make the 4th Camaro kit alone. We have another CTS V arriving from TX Friday; this one is for the Xtreme Chiller project.
I had mine installed recently and during a 98 degree day it got down to a unbelievable 28 degrees in Comp mode on my TVS2300.
Fairly simple design so it should be pretty reliable and the end results are amazing.
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Taser Deployed

 
Taser Deployed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 943
Ok so there's 2 different companies offering Superchillers?
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Ok so there's 2 different companies offering Superchillers?
Yeah now I am confused? Are there 2 Super Chillers? If so, is either one built specifically for the ZL1?
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
hognutz


 
hognutz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: tangent or
Posts: 2,733
I know the one trekgto is talking about will be ZL1 specific but is not out yet. He had a thread about it. existing holes used, no cutting, drilling, etc.

I am not sure if the RX version is the same product in a universal kit or a different product all together?
__________________
2013 ZL1 10%lower,rotfab,90mmtb,SP headers
(president of the tangent oregon trophy husband association, founding and only member)
2013 Dart
2013 Megacab 8" lift 38"mt's
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGTO View Post
The Super Chiller is a no cut installation. All my adapters are CNC at existing connections. Custom AN fittings seal with O-Ring to Chiller Core, in fact the entire system uses standard AC O Rings. This is completely reversible if you want to put car back to stock. A passive Heat Exchanger can’t compete with refrigerating the coolant. The core is Stainless Steel and only moving part is the Expansion Valve.
More info Here and Here.

I have a great offer standing to first ZL1 to come in for installation. There are a couple members interested but scheduling has been the hold up. I hope to have a ZL1 kit ASAP. We don’t do universal kits every kit is model and Blower Specific. ZL1 will make the 4th Camaro kit alone. We have another CTS V arriving from TX Friday; this one is for the Xtreme Chiller project.
I will pay for your plane ticket and hotel stay (plus a little extra $$) to come out here to Cali if you want to use my ZL1 for a "test mule" if you inlcude a free chiller and install? I have a shop to work in with a car lift.
__________________

Last edited by 69NMYSS; 10-09-2012 at 06:07 PM.
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,077
We were the first to do the RX Super Chiller on a ZL1 and they are built for each application. We do them in virtually every water to air cooled SC application from mercedes to you name it.

Even a hyundai genesis.

These are in use here by several members with ZL1's:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hiller+awesome

No guinea pigs needed, it is beyond proven and no games.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #17
TrekGTO

 
TrekGTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St Pete Fl
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
I will pay for your plane ticket and hotel stay (plus a little extra $$) to come out here to Cali if you want to use my ZL1 for a "test mule" if you inlcude a free chiller and install? I have a shop to work in with a car lift.
I wish I could take you up on that! It took me forever to get caught up after CamaroFest, I took measurements and pics of ZL1 but I just canít complete a finished kit. Again there is a sweet deal for first ZL1 Super Chiller in the shop!
__________________

ORIGINAL SUPER CHILLER Since 09
ACTIVE INTERCHILLER.com
FACEBOOK
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
TrekGTO

 
TrekGTO's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St Pete Fl
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by rforbes View Post
I had mine installed recently and during a 98 degree day it got down to a unbelievable 28 degrees in Comp mode on my TVS2300.
Fairly simple design so it should be pretty reliable and the end results are amazing.
Thanks for your support!
I know, its insane the temps you see once its installed.
__________________

ORIGINAL SUPER CHILLER Since 09
ACTIVE INTERCHILLER.com
FACEBOOK
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.