Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 10-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #26
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Question to the OP. Does your state require a front plate? I bought my car in North Carolina and brought it back to Tennessee. I made sure they wouldn't install the front plate. They told me that N.C. didn't require front plates anyway. But they also said they never put the front plate brackets on the Vettes or Camaros.

If your state doesn't require a plate and they put it on just so they could put their dealer name on it I'd be pissed. But a decent body shop can fill those holes with urethane and paint it and you could never tell. I'd make them fix it that way, not the plugs.

Actually I talked ahead of delivery to my sales manager and made sure they didn't put any dealer decals or plaques on as well. A lot of dealers do that, so anyone awaiting delivery may want to ask that question also.

Last edited by ZO6 Bryan; 10-07-2012 at 09:10 PM.
ZO6 Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #27
13-ZL1

Drives: GM
the problem is alot of these dealers treat these cars as they were just a regular every day car. that is why IMO you have to stay on top of them though out the whole process.
13-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 PM   #28
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 2014 2ssrs,2013 zl1,67&69 allcoupes
gm connects

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13-ZL1 View Post
the problem is alot of these dealers treat these cars as they were just a regular every day car. that is why IMO you have to stay on top of them though out the whole process.
If gm connects actually worked and still didn't say the car was at 2030 I would have know to remind them, You would think once a month would be enough of a reminder. I guess not. The three states I drive the most in are all 2 plate states, saying that neither my 2010 Camaro which I got in October of 09 nor my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport have a front plate. Around here if your not driving like a Jack A$$ the man usually doesn't harrass you about trivial things like front plates. I went 18 months and 45000 miles without one on my last work truck. I only put one on the new truck as the bumper looked dumb without it. Thanks for the reads.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #29
big dawg

Drives: 2013 Chevy Malibu 1SA
just for the hell of it, i took a ride Sat. to go look at a BRM ZL1 and it's sitting outside on the lot as if it were just another car, unlocked, and there's already scratch marks on the driver's side door sill, with a nice, dry, crusty bird turd on the hood. i guess the good part was that it only had 9 miles. BRM is about as dark as black on a cloudy day, ok if you're in AZ i guess. back to your issue: i'd make GM make amends if the dealer is being stubborn! keep us posted, thanks and good luck!
big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #30
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Car is never going to have lest than 6-8 miles on them when they are dropped! You have quailty testing at the factory, driving it to the storage yard, from storage yard to truck or train ramp, from truck to dealer. Sorry if your saying your car had less than 2 miles, you must have been so important they picked it up with a forklist or just full of b.s.
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #31
GearheadSS
Member #63

Drives: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Car is never going to have lest than 6-8 miles on them when they are dropped! You have quailty testing at the factory, driving it to the storage yard, from storage yard to truck or train ramp, from truck to dealer. Sorry if your saying your car had less than 2 miles, you must have been so important they picked it up with a forklist or just full of b.s.
They do come in with less than 2 miles. I've seen some with 1 mile. Next time we get one, I'll snap a pic. Most have more but we do see some with just 1 mile.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #32
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Mine had 18 miles when I got it. I think part of the PDI specifies test driving the car. The dealer drove mine also to put a tank of gas into it, 91 octane AZ premium (I live in a 93 octane state). All in all I estimate the dealer put on about 10 miles from the time they took initial delivery. Guess i"ll never know what happened during those 10 miles..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #33
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
The front plate problem you're having seems to be happening to a lot of people with this car. My ZL1 had exactly 19 miles on it as well. I had e-mailed him before it arrived to make sure noone but the mechanic drove it. In PA the inpection mechanic has to drive it 2 miles by law. He said they also had to take it to the nearest gas station, which is 1/2 mile away, for premiumn since they only carry regular in their tank. Gm should really train their dealerships better on PDI's. Make sure they put those valances, I think thats what they're called, in front of the front tires underneath. If they forgot the spacers they probably forgot them. Those were the first two things I checked.

Even though GM connects doesn't give good information. The dealership still gets all the updates and should've been keeping you posted. When GM connects went down I taled to my dealer and told them I wanted updated and also used the almighty Becky@rodgers chevrolet.

Last edited by Hercules; 10-08-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #34
Speedforhire

Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
My car had 13 miles on it which I credit to the delivery and PDI setup mileage. No problems! Didn't get the spacers until a week later; after I asked for them.

Word of caution: If you get a replacement cap put on make sure you see the damaged part before you accept the vehicle. Most dealers will try to con you by saying they replaced the part, when they actually just do repairs. It happens!

Keep us posted on your outcome.
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #35
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho View Post
So way back in May I ordered a 2013 ZL1. Rally Yellow M6. Been waiting ever since. Thursday the dealer called and said the car came in and they were going to PDI it and it would be ready to pick up yesterday. I had to work at our Colorado store so I was unable to go get it yesterday, however I sent a spy to check on the car for me and he sent me a video of the car,(and offered to buy it if I didn't (LOL)) Anyway between his I phone and my droid the video came out like a postage stamp, however I thought I saw a liscense plate frame installed on the front which set me off like no other. I immediately called the New Car Manager and left him a message as it was like 21 minutes before they closed and reminded him that he and I and both sales guys went over the rule about no front plate or else. Guess what he didn't return my call. Today I was again in Colorado for a biannual Toy Show that we exhibit at and didn't get back to town until 5, luckily they don't close until. So the head sales guy meets me at the door and walks me to the new beast which is pointed nose first out of the bay and sure as F**K there is a liscence plate mounted on the car. Instantly I get majorly pissed and he can tell. He starts telling me that they make some kind of color matched plug kit. You can guess how that went over. So I look at the car and it has 19 miles on it. Not great, however not to bad my last to were 13 (ss) and 11 (gs). So I keep looking. As it snowed here today I already decided I would not drive it until Monday, as we were walking away I thought, I wonder if they put the spring spacers in the glove box. So I went and looked. NOPE. So then instantly I thought maybe they didn't remove them. So I jump out and bounce the front of the car only to hurt my wrist as it doesn't move at friggin all. NO WAY. They left the spacers in. Well then the defication hit the rotary occilator. Immediately I went up to the new car manager who still hasn't returned my call and started in. I am like first off WTF is up with the plate. To which he replys. Then I go did you here about the Denver Chevy store that totaled a black ZL1 and proceed to tell him about the spacers which he doesn't know anything about. Anyhow he says that the Service manager is not up to the task. (Like I didn't know that since there is still an outstanding recall on my corvette) Anyway now they are going to re PDI the car and fix the bumper and maybe next week I can finally drive my ZL1. Whats another week after this long. NOT A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION. Sorry for the long read I just had to vent....

I apologize for the inconveniences and frustrations that you are experiencing! If you would like, I can set up a case with GM customer service to research the concern further. I would need your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership name.

I await your reply via PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #36
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
I apologize for the inconveniences and frustrations that you are experiencing! If you would like, I can set up a case with GM customer service to research the concern further. I would need your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership name.

I await your reply via PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
I will send you a pm brandon. I did purchase the car.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #37
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho View Post
I will send you a pm brandon. I did purchase the car.
That is no Pumpkin that is a bright yellow ZL1. Congrats!!!

I do have to ask.... what are they going to do about the front bumper?

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #38
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

They are gong to fix it. There is a place here that redo's plastic bumpers called Collins Plating and the guaranteed me that if they fix it no one will be able to tell. Now its just on the painter to match the paint, however she is supposed to be very good. Not the dealerships opinion the paint stores opinion, I asked.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #39
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Black
Good deal. Sounds like they are going to take care of you. If not I am sure you will get them to sort it out...

Now go drive it. Hardest part is following the break-in rules.

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #40
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
Godsplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #41
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
then the defication hit the rotary occilator

Op, this little quote from your post made me laugh out loud. Good luck with everything.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #42
strych9
Nice rear end!

Drives: Not a Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
Also, part of the PDI process is to put a few miles on the car to check for squeaks and rattles, shift quality, noises, etc. No car should leave the lot with less than 15 miles. If it did, the PDI process was shotgunned. Not cool.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #43
justindewoody

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Also, part of the PDI process is to put a few miles on the car to check for squeaks and rattles, shift quality, noises, etc. No car should leave the lot with less than 15 miles. If it did, the PDI process was shotgunned. Not cool.
Dude are you serious? Where did you get that information? I work at a Chevy dealer...and in fact, I know MANY employees of multiple Chevy dealerships and NONE of them do that. That is completely absurd. We have 4 ZL1's in stock RIGHT NOW and they all have less than 5 miles on them.
justindewoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #44
strych9
Nice rear end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindewoody View Post
Dude are you serious? Where did you get that information? I work at a Chevy dealer...and in fact, I know MANY employees of multiple Chevy dealerships and NONE of them do that. That is completely absurd. We have 4 ZL1's in stock RIGHT NOW and they all have less than 5 miles on them.
Chevy must have different parameters, then. On the Ford PDI sheets it was a requirement to drive them through a full cycle of city and highway driving. It makes sense, because we caught a lot of dribbles, leaks, and inoperative components on those road tests. Stuff that would result in a pissed off customer if they got the vehicle home and experienced it themselves.

Case in point: I PDI'd a new Cobra R for the dealership owner (for his collection), and the lower radiator hose split in half during the road test. In the end, we had very few "immediate" warranties on the cars we sold, and the thorough PDI was a big part of it.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #45
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
That's because it's a Ford
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #46
strych9
Nice rear end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
That's because it's a Ford
What a thoughtful, concise statement. Your mother must be so proud.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #47
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
Quote:

lol..very courteous owned statement
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #48
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
My car had about 30 km on it new which is almost exactly 19 miles. So I think that normal new car miles are within this range on a car with its PDI completed.
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #49
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Quote:
Based on my experiences with a number of Ford's. Thanks my mother does love me.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote