Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
SlowSS


 
SlowSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Commerce, GA
Posts: 3,833
Complete paint correction and now water spots HELP!!

Okay folks so recently bought a PC and I already had several of the Adams products, etc. spent about 10hrs over the course of 3 days claying, polishing, etc..well yesterday was the first wash since the detail and with it being overcast I didn't think I would have any issues with water spots. Well I was wrong, after drying the car I notice a ton of small water spots all over the car. So I pulled the car in the garage and wiped it down with adams detail spray and their micro fiber cloth. Some of them came out, but you can still see some. To describe it, it almost looks like etching. You can't really see it but only in direct light and even at that trying to take a picture of it is not working. The car never see's the rain so I know it's not from rain and then sitting in a parking lot.

For washing, right now I use one bucket (flame suit on lol) with a grit guard with
Meg's purple jug (I think it's deep crystal something). What I would like to know is the shampoo that I am using causing this?

Thanks for any help!!
Jeff
__________________
SlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Todd@Autopia
 
Todd@Autopia's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orlando/Stuart, FL
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSS View Post
Okay folks so recently bought a PC and I already had several of the Adams products, etc. spent about 10hrs over the course of 3 days claying, polishing, etc..well yesterday was the first wash since the detail and with it being overcast I didn't think I would have any issues with water spots. Well I was wrong, after drying the car I notice a ton of small water spots all over the car. So I pulled the car in the garage and wiped it down with adams detail spray and their micro fiber cloth. Some of them came out, but you can still see some. To describe it, it almost looks like etching. You can't really see it but only in direct light and even at that trying to take a picture of it is not working. The car never see's the rain so I know it's not from rain and then sitting in a parking lot.

For washing, right now I use one bucket (flame suit on lol) with a grit guard with
Meg's purple jug (I think it's deep crystal something). What I would like to know is the shampoo that I am using causing this?

Thanks for any help!!
Jeff
It is likely that some water spots dried on the paint. These can be quite stubborn and frankly are my worst nightmare after polishing paint. I would try rewashing the paint, and drying very carefully. If that doesn't work, try something like Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
WiSSDiver

 
WiSSDiver's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: WIsconsin
Posts: 1,243
SlowSS,, I noticed you stopped your discription of your technique on your car so I'll ask to me what seems to be the most obvious question. Did you Seal and Wax? For it to etch that bad based on how you're describing it, I'm wondering if you finished the last step process with some kind of protection.
__________________
WiSSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
SlowSS


 
SlowSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Commerce, GA
Posts: 3,833
Sorry about that. I did follow up with Buttery wax, but I applied it with the PC and Grey pad. It was hard to tell if it was covered completely (silver car). I will look into the water spot remover as well. So you guys don't think it's from the actual shampoo?
__________________
SlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
WiSSDiver

 
WiSSDiver's Avatar
 
Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: WIsconsin
Posts: 1,243
It could be the shampoo if it was a cheap brand. If it was Adams, very doubtful. It could be a hard water issue or if you washed it in direct sunlight that could also cause the etching.

Buttery Wax is good wax, but it doesn't last very long on the surface of the paint. The best place on my Camaro for Buttery Wax (IMO) is the front bumper. Makes getting bugs off very easy, but you have to be diligent in applying it.

Back to the etching problem. To check if it's a hard water issue, take a couple of drops of your water from your hose and let them set on your car. (not necessarily your Camaro) Let it dry and inspect it. If you see minerals, kind of a white or cloudy residue, you've got a hard water problem.

Direct sun light is a pretty easy one to fix: wash in the morning or in the evening, but not during the heat of the day. Even if it was overcast, if the temps are still high in GA, your surface could be too warm causing the water to evaporate before you've gotten it off the paint. If it gets to the point where the only time I can wash is in the day, I'll drag out my 12x12 pop up tent, but I really only use that when I know I'm spending the day detailing.

That's about all I can suggest. Good luck
__________________
WiSSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSS View Post
Sorry about that. I did follow up with Buttery wax, but I applied it with the PC and Grey pad. It was hard to tell if it was covered completely (silver car). I will look into the water spot remover as well. So you guys don't think it's from the actual shampoo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomeroy View Post
It could be the shampoo if it was a cheap brand. If it was Adams, very doubtful. It could be a hard water issue or if you washed it in direct sunlight that could also cause the etching.

Buttery Wax is good wax, but it doesn't last very long on the surface of the paint. The best place on my Camaro for Buttery Wax (IMO) is the front bumper. Makes getting bugs off very easy, but you have to be diligent in applying it.

Back to the etching problem. To check if it's a hard water issue, take a couple of drops of your water from your hose and let them set on your car. (not necessarily your Camaro) Let it dry and inspect it. If you see minerals, kind of a white or cloudy residue, you've got a hard water problem.

Direct sun light is a pretty easy one to fix: wash in the morning or in the evening, but not during the heat of the day. Even if it was overcast, if the temps are still high in GA, your surface could be too warm causing the water to evaporate before you've gotten it off the paint. If it gets to the point where the only time I can wash is in the day, I'll drag out my 12x12 pop up tent, but I really only use that when I know I'm spending the day detailing.

That's about all I can suggest. Good luck
Although it is Meguiar's, that is not a quality soap. It could be the soap and water evaporating on the car. Some of the best over the counter soap you can get is Meguiar's Gold Class oddly enough. Both are Meguiar's but one is inferior soap and one is pretty good.

I agree that your surface temp may be too hot, much easier to do in the morning or evening in terms of water spots.

Alternatively, another method would be to wash say the right side of the car, and then wash it off. Wash the hood and front of car and then wash off. Continue with the car in the same manner. Basically break apart the washing job. Takes longer, but much less chance of water spotting since you are putting water on the car a lot more frequently.
__________________
Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
charlietuna

 
charlietuna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,200
Even with the best ph nutral soap water spots occur. Try a in line water filter from your tap. It has done wonders for my washes.
__________________
Laus Deo
charlietuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
SlowSS


 
SlowSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Commerce, GA
Posts: 3,833
Okay so the way I wash my car: I start with the roof do one half of the roof and rinse then other half then rinse. I do the whole hood then rinse. Then I wash each body panel then rinse. So the soap from what I can tell should be off the car. The day that I washed my car was only one week after the detail and the car was driven twice so I know it is not because the buttery wax doesn't last long. I know it doesn't but it should at least last for more than 2 30 minute trips. The day that I washed it....well it's was overcast with a high of 65 although it was windy.

I'm thinking that because I applied the buttery wax with the PC I didn't get a good enough coverage on the roof and hood. Hoping to get out there and fix the paint tomorrow evening. Do you guys think I should strip the old wax off (dawn bath) or would I be okay to just start with the revive polish and let it remove the wax?
__________________
SlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,595
I think either way would be fine. Polish will remove the wax but remember you will have to clean your pads a lot more frequently because not only do you have used up polish and removed paint on your pad, but also wax buildup.

If I had to choose, I would strip the wax first and then polish, just so I wouldn't have to deal with dirty pads too quickly.
__________________
Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
charlietuna

 
charlietuna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,200
Why don't you try claying the spots before you break out the polish again?
__________________
Laus Deo
charlietuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
Nick@Adams



 
Nick@Adams's Avatar
 
Drives: The shiny ones.
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the detail shop!
Posts: 4,773
I agree with Charlietuna, clay first... that might be all you need. Then, if that doesn't work, hit it with a polish. Obviously be sure to reapply your protection after that.

The soap choice certainly isn't optimal, and not even saying that b/c its not ours, but Meg's makes better soaps than that. If you are going OTC then gold class is probably the best option you'll have available.
__________________
Email: Nick@AdamsPolishes.com
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @AdamsPolishes
Use the code CAMARO5 or CORVETTE7 at checkout to save 10% off your next order at www.AdamsPolishes.com
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
SlowSS


 
SlowSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Commerce, GA
Posts: 3,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I think either way would be fine. Polish will remove the wax but remember you will have to clean your pads a lot more frequently because not only do you have used up polish and removed paint on your pad, but also wax buildup.

If I had to choose, I would strip the wax first and then polish, just so I wouldn't have to deal with dirty pads too quickly.
I think that is what I may end up doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
Why don't you try claying the spots before you break out the polish again?
The only thing is it's not just a spot here and there its "millions" of them all over the hood and roof. I guess I could just clay the whole top side.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
I agree with Charlietuna, clay first... that might be all you need. Then, if that doesn't work, hit it with a polish. Obviously be sure to reapply your protection after that.

The soap choice certainly isn't optimal, and not even saying that b/c its not ours, but Meg's makes better soaps than that. If you are going OTC then gold class is probably the best option you'll have available.
Well I can tell you this I will be hitting up Rob at Atlanta Sports and Imports for some Adams Shampoo ....and some U/C spray for my wheel wells. I thought I could just use VRT, but that sucks trying to apply that by hand


So let me throw this out there.....my wife's Jeep has the same treatment, but done by hand and there are no spots. Even after sitting in the sun after it rained. I'm really thinking its because I was to caught up in the "a little goes a long way" with the buttery wax. I really think I didn't get the whole car waxed like I thought I did. Anyway I will be doing some things to see about fixing it tonight and see what i come up with.
__________________
SlowSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
SirZeusor
 
SirZeusor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro LS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dunedin Florida
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
Even with the best ph nutral soap water spots occur. Try a in line water filter from your tap. It has done wonders for my washes.
I'd have to agree.

Tap water is hard in mot cases..calcium is what i battle here on the gulf coast.

it can rain cats and dogs with no spots....soon as the hose hits it BAM...spots.

after i wash and dry i just wax it again

can't hurt and works great on the crap black paint.
SirZeusor is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.