Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
xcarolina23

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Any blacked out convertibles? Quoted $1,300 to complete.

Just bought my SS last weekend. Liked the coupes but with how tall I am the sunroof was a little too close for comfort. Anyways, I am thinking of blacking my car out next weekend and talked to a local shop that does some great work. They quoted me $1,300 to powder coat the wheels, tint all of the windows, black out the bow ties, and black out the lights. I also am trying to choose a brake caliper color, I see black and red a lot and it looks really good, but I want to do something a little different, was thinking maybe a deep blue or bright blue like some of the late model vettes.

I wanted to see pics of anyone with a similar setup and also to see what you guys think of the mods/pricing.
Attached Images

xcarolina23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Sounds expensive to me. Local powder-coating charges $100 per wheel (bare wheel with no rubber mounted). So figure:

-$400 for PC wheels
-$100 to dismount/remount balance wheels
-$200 for window tint
-$80 for pre-cut tint for lights (several vendors on here sell kits). They're simple to install yourself.

So you're at $800 by my estimate...I can't help you with emblem black outs. I'm guessing you could buy emblem black out vinyl cutouts for $60 or less (I'm guessing)? That still puts you around $900.

Of course around here, you'd have to factor in $300 or so for the "fix-it" ticket you would get for tinting your lights.

2010 Camaro SS: TSP 231/236 cam, Kooks LTs, Magnaflow 16580 catback, Airaid CAI, U/D pulley, Pfadt-Stage 3, MTI shifter, MPD1 spoiler, S-S Splitter, 22" Nurburgrings

Ebbsnflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
2011*Camaro*SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert
I powder coated my wheels for 350 and blacked out all my lights and bowties for like 100 so i think that is way to much! I got my lights and stuff from Bigwormgraphix.com the only hard part was trying to get my car on a lift to get the wheels off. The shop I used for powder coating was very quick and did it in 1 day. So my car sat on jack stands. I would do it my self. oh and a can of plasti dip for the taillight bezels and fender emblems hope this helps.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
2011*Camaro*SS

oh yeah forgot about the tint my dealer did that for me so i dont know how much it was sorry. id say anything over $700 is too much
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
DRKS1D3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
I got my black bowtie vinyl from a vendor on here. $30. As for the wheels, many guys have used Plastidip and all the pictures I've seen look great.
MY RIDE: 2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE (LS3)--K&N TYPHOON INTAKE, FLOWMASTER FORCE II EXHAUST, HYPERTECH MAX ENERGY 93 OCTANE TUNE, HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION, BLACKED OUT BOWTIES, GLOSS BLACK 20x9 STYLE 41 WHEELS

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
xcarolina23

Thanks for the help guys, it is appreciated. I may look to do some of it myself. That price did include dismounting the wheels and tires, which I don't really feel comfortable doing myself. So what do you guys think about the brake caliper color?

Kind of off topic, but what do you guys use to wipe down the car? It gets a little dusty and spots here and there but i don't want to completely re-wash. Maybe a microfiber towel and some quick detail?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
DRKS1D3

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Lucas Speed Wax and microfiber towels are always in my trunk. No white haze, totally clear.
MY RIDE: 2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE (LS3)--K&N TYPHOON INTAKE, FLOWMASTER FORCE II EXHAUST, HYPERTECH MAX ENERGY 93 OCTANE TUNE, HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION, BLACKED OUT BOWTIES, GLOSS BLACK 20x9 STYLE 41 WHEELS

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
2011*Camaro*SS

California Duster, as for the brake calipers do something out there like orange or lime green..?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
xcarolina23

Thanks for the tips guys. When I get the build underway I will take some before and after shots. Also, I do like the lime green idea, but I would keep the brembo tag in black I think.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quick detailer and a good microfiber. Please don't use a California duster. Especially on a black car. It'll be swirl city.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Plasti-dipped wheels: 5 cans = $30 + a Saturday
Plasti-dipped bezels: 1 can = $6
Custom-painted bowties = $115 off ebay (you could also plasti-dip the bowties yourself, I got mine painted CFM to match.)
(coming soon) Red calipers VHT spray paint = ~$30 (we'll see for sure when I get to doing it!)

Total: Less than $200 and a few weekends

The only thing I don't have is tint. You can save a lot of money doing it yourself though, as you can see. The plasti-dip is really holding up well and looks much much better than I expected it to. I was considering powder-coating my wheels until I tried the plasti-dip. For me, I can peel it off and go back to a stock 45th if I want! Win-win!

With plasti-dipping the wheels, you can leave them on if you do a good enough job taping everything off. Or you can do like I did and take the entire wheel off, mask off the tires, apply plasti-dip let dry and then put em back on. Voila!
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Ryan2011RS

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS dusk edition .
I painted my wheels for $25, tail lights tinted for $10, windows $160, and bought some carbon fiber and did my emblems . And did my brakes bright metallic blue which cost $40 a can .
Ryan2011RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I would do the plasti-dip to test out if you like them black but I definitely recommend powder-coating. If I had the money for it, I would have done it a long time ago. Also, as many have told you, yes you can get it done for much cheaper. You can paint the bowties yourself or even get them custom painted from vendors on here like gary's customs and lupe over at rivercity creations. You can save a lot of money!

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Nice car, I really never cared for totally blacked out cars because they just remind me too much of the base model econoboxes of the 80's. I think it cheapens the car's look.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Wheels should cost you around $400

Complete black out kit from big worm graphix is $100
The full kit covers the head lights, side markers, tail lights, reverse lights, turn signals & fog lights.
If you only want to black out the tail lights it's $35

Bowties/emblems should cost you nothing. I did mine for free twice. Go to a local sign shop and ask for scrap vinyl in whatever color you want and do it yourself. A hair drier, soapy water, and an exacto knife and you're done in 10 minutes.

I'd say somewhere around $150-200 for window tint.

I agree that all this should only cost you about $700-800.

As for caliper color, I suppose I'll give away my idea lol
I had wanted for a long time to do antifreeze green as an accent color. I'm still in love with black and antifreeze so I think that would be a great color combo that nobody else really has.
SS Fascia
Factory RS HIDs
Plasma P13W fog lights
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
3 inch round cut, rolled exhaust tips
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels, Nitto Motivos
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Yeah I'd say do it yourself and save $500. Shop around for the same set-up and see where they compare locally. I know for a fact you could tint the windows and get vinyl for way cheaper than that.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #17
wabibito

Drives: 2013 2SS RS
The hardest and most expensive part is probably the wheels. and it should be around 400. I did mine wheels/ center cap and bolt for 430. This is all inclusive service. Meaning i dropped the car off at 9am, they will take out the wheels, take wheels to tire shop to unmount, powder coat, mount/balance tire and put wheels back on. I pick up the car at 4pm that day.
wabibito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
xcarolina23

Thanks for all of the messages guys. I decided to leave the powder coating of the wheels and tint to the shop. I heard a lot of good things about Mike the powder coater and he has been awesome to work with thus far, so I am going to have him handle the powder coating in Bentley blue.

http://www.thepowdercoater.com/galle...?album=2&pos=7

I wanted to stay away from the crazy colors as it's just not me. I think the blue and black will look nice. I know some people don't like the all blacked out look but you can't beat it when it's clean.

I also just picked up some p13 bulbs from AAC Style and the wiring to have the DRL"s run with the Halo's if i'd like. I will post some pics of the mods above once I get underway.

Thanks again guys
Old 10-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
xcarolina23

My Caroline, I just saw the antifreeze green on Mike's website as well, you had to go and throw a wrench in my plans didn't you? That also looks good.

http://www.thepowdercoater.com/galle...?album=2&pos=3

So what do you guys think, blue or green?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcarolina23 View Post
My Caroline, I just saw the antifreeze green on Mike's website as well, you had to go and throw a wrench in my plans didn't you? That also looks good.

Green, no blue, no green...ugh just flip a coin....

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcarolina23 View Post

Hahaha like I said, I had been holding out because I think that green is absolutely stunning, but I've decided to hold out on modding my car until I can get a good job.

Because I won't be putting the green on my car anytime soon, I say go for green. It isn't WAYYY out there, but it is a jaw dropping color.

The blue is a great choice as well if you go that direction... Either way, don't leave us hangin, post pics!
SS Fascia
Factory RS HIDs
Plasma P13W fog lights
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
3 inch round cut, rolled exhaust tips
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels, Nitto Motivos
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
xcarolina23

Hey guys I have made some progress on the blackout and posted pictures in my build album if you want to check it out =).

Steve

Photo Album:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=11844

My Mods: Satin powdercoated wheels, CAI cold air intake with washer fluid tank relocation kit and scoop, Solo cat-back exhaust, jetsream blue G2 caliper paint, blacked out emblems and lights, Gorilla lock lugs, hydro-dipped fuse box cover and strut bar, jetstream blue SS emblems, engine cover, and cold air intake cover, replaced convertible top, and ABL under-dash/dome lights.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 AM   #23
Wooden Heart

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT
Plasti-Dip is the way to go. Cheap and easy.

Tags
black, brake calipers, convertible, powder coated