Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
armysig
Catch me if you can
 
armysig's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,463
Exposed carbon fiber hood clear coat split

Hey guys,

I'm currently having my hood looked at with dealership help. It looks like the clear coat has start to crack or split near the angles of where the extrator vents are. I only noticed this the other day when I was at a car show and a spectator pointed it out to me.

There are multiple shots and angles for you to view the issue I am speaking of. I don't know if this is an on going issue with GM other than they at first told the dealership to not order the part and have a regional manager look at it before it goes through.

You guys be the judge if I'm over reacting or if this is a concern we should look further into.
Attached Images
     
__________________
armysig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
hairtrigger
 
Drives: 69 Chevelle SS396 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: West
Posts: 661
Looks like a defect in materials and workmanship.
Don't see why that wouldn't be covered under warranty.
__________________
hairtrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
lbls1

 
lbls1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2009 Malibu LT
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,648
Any paint failure of a new car is a concern. If the split developed after you bought the car, then GM and the dealer should own up to fixing it.
__________________
'02 CAMARO SS SOM; 5.7L LS1/FLS6B
'08 TBSS AWD Black Granite Metallic
'09 Malibu LT Dark Gray Metallic

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
armysig
Catch me if you can
 
armysig's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,463
Right now there is a debate going on with GM and the service manager at the dealership I have the vehicle being inspected by.

GM is insisting that my ECF hood is showing traits of this TPS , while the service manager says that it's clear coat failure.

This morning I'm suppose to go to the dealership with the car so the regional manager can do an inspection of his own for GM. Once he sees the car I think he'll side with me and the dealership service manager. What we're seeing is not what's discribed in the TPS.
__________________
armysig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
Right now there is a debate going on with GM and the service manager at the dealership I have the vehicle being inspected by.

GM is insisting that my ECF hood is showing traits of this TPS , while the service manager says that it's clear coat failure.

This morning I'm suppose to go to the dealership with the car so the regional manager can do an inspection of his own for GM. Once he sees the car I think he'll side with me and the dealership service manager. What we're seeing is not what's discribed in the TPS.

Do you currently have a case with GM customer service regarding this concern? I can take a look at it if you would like. Just provide the case number in a PM.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
DangerZL1

 
Drives: Accord
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Memphis, TN Area
Posts: 1,910
I've read the TPS and this isn't a cosmetic variation of the CF material. It is definately a clear coat failure at stress points or where the CF makes sharp bends. The paint is cracking and should be covered under warranty.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
Black Ice
 
Drives: Black Ice
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fort Lame, Indiana
Posts: 4
Subbed... I have similar issues but only on the lip toward the windshield. Dealer ordered a new one when I noticed it at delivery. The order was cancelled by GM. I had to provide pictures which I did today.

It looks like hell and everyone that rides in the car notices it.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Uneducated Guess
'12 ZL1 #742
 
Uneducated Guess's Avatar
 
Drives: his wife crazy
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 1,067
I just noticed almost the exact same thing on mine just the other day. Mine is on the lip on the passenger side though. Haven't had a chance to take it to the dealership and it is definitely not the CF. You can feel that the clear coat is messed up.
Uneducated Guess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...
 
BowtieBelle's Avatar
 
Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 14,095
Makes me wonder if this is why the CF insert was on constraint for a while, trying to fix this problem.
__________________
"Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff." -CamaroSpike

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member
 
KLR ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: #708 Summit White ZL1 Del. 5/17
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pearland Tx.
Posts: 896
If you can feel it with your fingernail then it is a clearcoat splitting and over time will separate with the temperature change. I have seen this on cf hoods and spoilers. I would say warranty.
__________________
Sometimes dreams do come true. #708
KLR ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
Rhyder


 
Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: atlanta
Posts: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Subbed... I have similar issues but only on the lip toward the windshield. Dealer ordered a new one when I noticed it at delivery. The order was cancelled by GM. I had to provide pictures which I did today.

It looks like hell and everyone that rides in the car notices it.

Wait what? the dealer ordered a replacment on damage upon reciept and GM canceled it?

Why would they do that? they dont believe the dealership? wouldnt the dealer of taken pictures of the issue before ordering?

Also say someone bought these inserts from aa ZL1 owner, would they still be covered under warranty if this happened.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Subbed... I have similar issues but only on the lip toward the windshield. Dealer ordered a new one when I noticed it at delivery. The order was cancelled by GM. I had to provide pictures which I did today.

It looks like hell and everyone that rides in the car notices it.
We apologize for the dissatisfaction you are experiencing with the appearance of your vehicle. Please let us know if they were able to get the part in to correct the issue.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #13
Speedforhire
 
Speedforhire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Subbed... I have similar issues but only on the lip toward the windshield. Dealer ordered a new one when I noticed it at delivery. The order was cancelled by GM. I had to provide pictures which I did today.

It looks like hell and everyone that rides in the car notices it.
Ditto..............same with mine and there are cracks around the vents also........par for the course with GM products. I'll trade the car off before I deal with their poor quality sevice. It's not worth the hassle!:(

The idiot detailer at the dealership used a buffer on it also and put swirl marks all over it.......
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #14
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"
 
el ess A's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 3,171
"cosmetic variation"?? Really? That's BS speak for "If it has some minor flaws, tough s**t! Just live with our inability to provide a quality product."

Sorry to hear the issues. That sucks. What will really suck is after 3 years what's going to happen then?

I'm going to bet the exposed CF option will be going away soon if they don't get this corrected pronto. Unless the painted ones are doing it too?
__________________
2010/2013 Camaro

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
KKreme15

 
KKreme15's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dayton, MD
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
We apologize for the dissatisfaction you are experiencing with the appearance of your vehicle. Please let us know if they were able to get the part in to correct the issue.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
You guys still haven't told me why my electronic power steering failed the day I took delivery of my car.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
zl1bro
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
"cosmetic variation"?? Really? That's BS speak for "If it has some minor flaws, tough s**t! Just live with our inability to provide a quality product."

Sorry to hear the issues. That sucks. What will really suck is after 3 years what's going to happen then?

I'm going to bet the exposed CF option will be going away soon if they don't get this corrected pronto. Unless the painted ones are doing it too?
No issues at all with my painted unit. Glad I went in that direction given all the hassles. My thinking was that from 8 feet away they look essentially the same..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
You guys still haven't told me why my electronic power steering failed the day I took delivery of my car.
We handle each vehicle concern on a case by case basis and we are unable to provide technical assistance as we rely on the dealerships for this. Did you ever get a diagnosis?

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #18
Hercules
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 559
My painted one is fine so far, other than the guy that prepped it pushed toooooo hard with the buffer and there are burn marks on it. I haven't taken it back yet, afraid of them touching it again. I was supposed to get the ECF but they didn't get the allocation for it. I changed my mind because I wanted the car so bad. Now by the sounds of it that was a good decision. Owning the painted one, I still think the ECF looks better. Just my two cents though. Good luck and keep us posted.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
Looks like a defect in materials and workmanship.
Don't see why that wouldn't be covered under warranty.
This is exactly the kind of problems I was trying to explain in the other topic about CAFE standards. One of the treehumpers was insisting that cars would all switch over to carbon fiber to meet the new CAFE standards and laughed at me when I said that carbon fiber is very difficult to work with and would cause a lot of problems.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
KKreme15

 
KKreme15's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dayton, MD
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
We handle each vehicle concern on a case by case basis and we are unable to provide technical assistance as we rely on the dealerships for this. Did you ever get a diagnosis?

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
No, I don't think anyone did.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
69NMYSS

 
69NMYSS's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
No issues at all with my painted unit. Glad I went in that direction given all the hassles. My thinking was that from 8 feet away they look essentially the same..
Maybe, but who looks at a ZL1 from 8 feet away, most of my spectators are close enough that when the drool falls from thier mouth, it lands on my car
__________________
69NMYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #22
zl1bro
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Maybe, but who looks at a ZL1 from 8 feet away, most of my spectators are close enough that when the drool falls from thier mouth, it lands on my car
I'd like them to get no closer than 8 feet. "Back away. Please no drooling on the vehicle"...
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #23
Lonny Doyle
Aerospace Machinist
 
Lonny Doyle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 w/ ECF
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Red Oak,Texas
Posts: 67
I had the same problem also.

They had me send them pictures so they could forward the to GM.

They ordered me a new one after I sent pics and now it is installed.

The only thing that I did not like is that they implied that it may have happened after it left the dealership.

My car has never seen anything but a car wash, I have never buffed it.

The people that manufactured the insert must have buffed through the clear coat.

All is well now.
Attached Images
      
__________________
Lonny Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #24
mel1
Yeah buddy
 
mel1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Inferno Orange
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 196
Sometimes you can expect things to happen like this, because at the end of the day, we all still own a GM vehicle......and the quality of worksmanship is not the greatest. But glad to see the issues are getting fixed.
mel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
el ess A
formerly "el ess X"
 
el ess A's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Aiken, SC
Posts: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel1 View Post
Sometimes you can expect things to happen like this, because at the end of the day, we all still own a GM vehicle......and the quality of worksmanship is not the greatest. But glad to see the issues are getting fixed.
So what you're saying is that GM quality is expected to be crummy on a part that costs as much as around the base price of a 69 Camaro and you simply should live with it on a car that cost nearly as much as my house did when I bought it in the early 80s?

Bunko. If you pay good money for the premium version of anything, and this is the best they can offer, it's NOT acceptable to me. There's been several involved with GM that said the ZL1 was the best Camaro yet. I would expect that to mean quality as well as performance. I realize this may or may not be a widespread issue, but then again, the convertible tops became a bigger issue that needed fixing than the original explanation of "this is normal".

It's not about issues themselves as much as it is as to how it's handled by the manufacturer.
__________________
2010/2013 Camaro

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=139490  3951
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.