Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
Rockamakis
 
Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS, Traverse LTZ
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 126
Removing bug juice

Is there good product that easily removes bug juice from the car when washing it?
Rockamakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
charlietuna

 
charlietuna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,264
I saturate the bug guts with Adams waterless wash prior to my wash method. I tend to use a lot of water pressure to knock as much of as possible prior to touching them with a wash mitt.
__________________
Laus Deo
charlietuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,385
wd-40 works..

I've used wd-40 and an old set of the wifes panty hose in the past, the panty hose works like a bristle brush but doesn't scratch the paint, of course you will need to wax/polish after you get the guts off.


also panty hose work great as an emergency belt if you break one out in BFE.. had that happen in a truck coming back from Vegas once.. my GF at the time was not happy with me....
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockamakis View Post
Is there good product that easily removes bug juice from the car when washing it?
I would try Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. Cheap, readily available, and works extremely well. Unlike waterless washes or quick detailers, this product is specifically formulated to take bug guts off your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
wd-40 works..

I've used wd-40 and an old set of the wifes panty hose in the past, the panty hose works like a bristle brush but doesn't scratch the paint, of course you will need to wax/polish after you get the guts off.


also panty hose work great as an emergency belt if you break one out in BFE.. had that happen in a truck coming back from Vegas once.. my GF at the time was not happy with me....
OP, WD-40 works, but it should be a last resort.

And I would certainly recommend AGAINST using any fabrics that are designed to be worn, not rubbed against paint. Maybe it doesn't scratch, but I would never do it to my car.
__________________
Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I would try Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. Cheap, readily available, and works extremely well. Unlike waterless washes or quick detailers, this product is specifically formulated to take bug guts off your car.



OP, WD-40 works, but it should be a last resort.

And I would certainly recommend AGAINST using any fabrics that are designed to be worn, not rubbed against paint. Maybe it doesn't scratch, but I would never do it to my car.

did it on my black 300c with no issues.. no scratches, no problems, of course the hose were wet and it is a very light touch, not man handling it and scraping the crap outta the car..

I'm to old and too disabled to deal with it now, just pay a detailer to do it, but as I said, never had an issue, never saw any scratches in black paint...
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
did it on my black 300c with no issues.. no scratches, no problems, of course the hose were wet and it is a very light touch, not man handling it and scraping the crap outta the car..

I'm to old and too disabled to deal with it now, just pay a detailer to do it, but as I said, never had an issue, never saw any scratches in black paint...
Yup, I believe you when you say it didn't scratch. Just saying I personally would never do it

Still, WD-40 is in my opinion, a way too aggressive of a starting point. Always start with the least aggressive method, ie bug and tar remover or a waterless wash or normal soap and water

My method is
1) If soap and water didn't work then go to number 2
2) If bug and tar remover didn't work then go to number 3
3) If WD-40 doesn't work, you might be dealing with permanent etches. Go to number 4
4) Compounding and polishing. If this didn't work, you need a repaint.
5) Repaint.

On my car, I've never had to go past category 2, but I have of course seen cars that will no doubt need a repaint, as they are not salvageable.
__________________
Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Yup, I believe you when you say it didn't scratch. Just saying I personally would never do it
gottca..
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Rockamakis
 
Drives: 2013 BRM 2SS/RS, Traverse LTZ
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 126
Thank you for the input. I appreciate it.
Rockamakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
Lil' Nasty's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged V6
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
I saturate the bug guts with Adams waterless wash prior to my wash method. I tend to use a lot of water pressure to knock as much of as possible prior to touching them with a wash mitt.
This.... they come right out....tip, if you have Adams quick sealant you can apply that after you're done drying the car...it doesn't prevent bugs, but they come off alot easier next wash
__________________
Lil' Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
charlietuna

 
charlietuna's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin's Bee View Post
This.... they come right out....tip, if you have Adams quick sealant you can apply that after you're done drying the car...it doesn't prevent bugs, but they come off alot easier next wash
__________________
Laus Deo
charlietuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
Beer Thirty
5:30 somewhere
 
Beer Thirty's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pensacola,florida
Posts: 321
A great product by surf city called road trip grime destroyer. Works great for removing bugs. Only product I know that works.
Beer Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.