Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,816
A little before and after

Not the same wheel, but I had one clean front wheel and one dirty back wheel and couldn't help taking these pictures. I did clean up the back wheel later too and it looked as good as the front one

Used Brown Royal if you're interested





__________________
.



Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS
 
Joe M 2012 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Shelby NC
Posts: 507
Nice. Brown Royal is great, only it smells like brown arse!
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
scandata
 
scandata's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LT Convertible, blue metallic
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 354
How long did that take per wheel? Did you do the inside area too?
__________________
2014 Blue Ray Metallic 1LT

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/strip_zps825b0ac9.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Nice. Brown Royal is great, only it smells like brown arse!
haha agree there joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
How long did that take per wheel? Did you do the inside area too?
7-8 minutes per wheel. All four wheels took about 30 minutes.

Yes, I did the barrels as well, however these wheels are so dirty and have been dirty for so long, that a lot of black marks are pitting, not actual dirt or grime.
__________________
.



Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
scandata
 
scandata's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LT Convertible, blue metallic
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
7-8 minutes per wheel. All four wheels took about 30 minutes.

Yes, I did the barrels as well, however these wheels are so dirty and have been dirty for so long, that a lot of black marks are pitting, not actual dirt or grime.
Thanks, I'll remember this product next time I detail someone's car. The last one I did was in similar shape and I just used dish soap and a sponge. I spent about that long on each wheel but when I was done they were still shaded a little brown in some parts, but the owner was thrilled with the before and after results anyway.

She'd mentioned the person that she had "wash her car last year", and the one who did it "the year before that." I got the impression that it's only an annual thing for her (and judging by the mountains of dirt I washed off, probably so).
__________________
2014 Blue Ray Metallic 1LT

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/strip_zps825b0ac9.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Thanks, I'll remember this product next time I detail someone's car. The last one I did was in similar shape and I just used dish soap and a sponge. I spent about that long on each wheel but when I was done they were still shaded a little brown in some parts, but the owner was thrilled with the before and after results anyway.

She'd mentioned the person that she had "wash her car last year", and the one who did it "the year before that." I got the impression that it's only an annual thing for her (and judging by the mountains of dirt I washed off, probably so).
Haha yup! This is pretty much the same scenario.

If you don't want to get Brown Royal, Meguiar's Wheel Brightener is just as potent and cheaper. Brown Royal is a VERY strong base, Megs is a VERY strong acid with hydrafluoric acid.

You, under no circumstances, want either touching you so be careful, wear gloves, facemask, and eye protection at the very least. Close toed shoes, long pants too!
__________________
.



Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
scandata
 
scandata's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LT Convertible, blue metallic
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post

You, under no circumstances, want either touching you so be careful, wear gloves, facemask, and eye protection at the very least. Close toed shoes, long pants too!
Wow, and I thought Iron-X was bad to work with!
__________________
2014 Blue Ray Metallic 1LT

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/strip_zps825b0ac9.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Wow, and I thought Iron-X was bad to work with!
Yeah crazy right?! I'm actually amazed at the fact you can buy hydrafluoric acid online.

Here's where it gets scary. Hydrafluoric acid essentially diffuses into your skin, under all the tissue, and reaches the bone. There it reacts with the calcium and actually destroys your bone! Oh and like the freak chemical that it is, you get no pain until it's too late. Once you get pain, the process of bone resorption has begun. If that doesn't cause you to want to get some proper protection, I don't know what will!

The only reason I have it and brown royal is because they are effective when no other products can touch wheel grime. As you saw in your case with the dawn. Great stuff, just got to be super careful when you use it
__________________
.



Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
scandata
 
scandata's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LT Convertible, blue metallic
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Yeah crazy right?! I'm actually amazed at the fact you can buy hydrafluoric acid online.

Here's where it gets scary. Hydrafluoric acid essentially diffuses into your skin, under all the tissue, and reaches the bone. There it reacts with the calcium and actually destroys your bone! Oh and like the freak chemical that it is, you get no pain until it's too late. Once you get pain, the process of bone resorption has begun. If that doesn't cause you to want to get some proper protection, I don't know what will!

The only reason I have it and brown royal is because they are effective when no other products can touch wheel grime. As you saw in your case with the dawn. Great stuff, just got to be super careful when you use it
Holy crap! You can buy that without a license?! That definitely sounds like a haz-mat certified-only product. I think I'll try a good dose of elbow grease first!
__________________
2014 Blue Ray Metallic 1LT

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/strip_zps825b0ac9.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Holy crap! You can buy that without a license?! That definitely sounds like a haz-mat certified-only product. I think I'll try a good dose of elbow grease first!
haha yeah man! I'm a little paranoid about this stuff, it's like a bazooka, you don't bring it out until you need it, but you can't argue with the results

If you're doing other people's cars, I'd recommend having it on hand. It's only like ~$20 for a gallon so not that expensive, especially since you rarely use it.
__________________
.



Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #11
JTruck

 
JTruck's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,656
I guess I should be more weary when I let the wheel cleaner fling on my arms/face/mouth from my wheel brushes.
__________________
Detailing is an involuntary obsession.
JTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.