Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Wheels / Tires

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #575
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
They said its being redesigned and delayed. So yes it has.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #576
Silver-SS

Drives: 2012 2SS RS
Yes I believe, but only by a week or two I think. Lg seemed to try not to step on gm's patents as much as the other company and therefore didn't have to adjust their design as much. If I remember right, the other company was originally slated for feb/march and is now looking at May. LG on the other hand was originally hoping for Christmas/new years and is only pushed out to the first week or two of January. really giving LG a jump in the market.
Silver-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #577
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-SS View Post
Yes I believe, but only by a week or two I think. Lg seemed to try not to step on gm's patents as much as the other company and therefore didn't have to adjust their design as much.
They were 100% the same except for the wording or lack thereof so your post makes no sense. Avoiding patent infringement requires the same amount of work no matter who is doing it.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #578
rare991

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
a couple months is a long time. ivan or anthony needs to chime in and let everyone know what they know. i know some people like me have a lot of money tied up in these wheels.
rare991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #579
Silver-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
They were 100% the same except for the wording or lack thereof so your post makes no sense. Avoiding patent infringement requires the same amount of work no matter who is doing it.
Wow, didn't realize the other wheels were zr28's as well, good to know synner. And no avoiding patent infringement is not the same. There are grey areas that are left up to interpretation and one company might make a lot more effort than another yet both could still be considered infringing or both not as well, just depends on patent wording, lawyers and interpretation. As far as I knew LG had taken more steps to avoid it, I didn't realize that lg's and the other were identical according to you.
For the record I am not endorsing either company, I was merely stating the facts as I knew them trying to help other forum users.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #580
Synner

They aren;t ZR28, they're both ZL1 wheels. One was renamed the other wasn't named. They're both the same aside from 4 letters.

And call me crazy but I'd bet someone $1 the "redesign" from both companies ends up looking exactly the same with the price differential still existing. But people on here drink the koolaid faster than anyone I've ever met so they'll continue to think paying double was totally worth it due to sales pitches and group think.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #581
Fraxum

Drives: 2016 SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
It is interesting how this situation would work. Would the wheel companies propose changes and submit them to GM's lawyers to see if the changes would fly? It seems like this could take some time just to get the changes approved.

Otherwise who would decide, a judge? And so would both wheel companies patent their version of the repro wheel? How much change is enough?

And why couldn't the GM people who designed the really cool ZL1/1LE wheel been asked to design a better 2013 SS wheel?
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #582
Andys562

Drives: Black 2011 2LT RS
I don't see why it was an issue in the first place, since it was branded differently. I mean we were told that's what would avoid any sort of infringement. What can they change now?
Why not just NO BRANDING AT ALL?
Black Painted Heritage Grill, Emblem-less.
Black Rear Bowtie.
AAC P13 DRL's.
AAC License Plate LED's.
AAC Dome Light/Trunk Light.
AAC Tinted Sidemarkers.
AAC SMD Afterburners.
MRT V1 Exhaust.
PFADT 1.25" Lowering Springs.
Andys562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #583
Synner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys562 View Post
I don't see why it was an issue in the first place, since it was branded differently. I mean we were told that's what would avoid any sort of infringement. What can they change now?
Why not just NO BRANDING AT ALL?
Its not a name infringement its a cosmetic copyright infringement. Calling a pig a dog doesn't make it something else, it's still a pig.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #584
Silver-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Its not a name infringement its a cosmetic copyright infringement. Calling a pig a dog doesn't make it something else, it's still a pig.
What he said.
I wonder what might need to be changed. I guess if someone was curious enough they could look up the patent and see how it is worded. That might give you a clue to the direction the companies will have to go to get around it. Other people on here said that the ss wheels are being reproduced by other companies but the finish is different than stock, maybe they can make the wheels with a diff. finish.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #585
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
I love the Sea Lawyer talk. LOL

From what we (Southwest Speed) have been told, nothing has changed.

Not the name of the wheel, not the look of the wheel, not the price of the wheel, nothin. Now, does that mean something may chang? Sure.

I'm just as eager to find out who, what, when, where, how and why as the next one of y'all.

Perhaps the silence is a direct reflection of LG not wanting to get caught up in the crap that the other guys got into with the wheel being so similar to another one.

Or maybe just due to LG being closed from last Friday till the 26th for Christmas and them spending some time with their families.

As always, if I or anybody at Southwest Speed has any news, we always update our thread and/or this one.

Hope this helps some of y'all a little....hang in there and let's see how it rolls.

Happy Holidays to you all and stay tuned...
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #586
Silver-SS

I would imagine that with such a minuscule delay that LG said, there couldn't be much if any change like you said Ivan.

I like the lawyer talk as well, nothing better than pure speculation but at least it keeps bumping your product. I did look into the patents, gm wheel patents don't have much wording at all, just submitted images, sometimes with magazine articles to back them up.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #587
*_ERIC_*
OMINOUS

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I'm not really impressed. For half the price of forged I would think they would have at least got these wheels down to 27lbs. Granted they will have better traction and handling. Just won't get out of the hole as quick as some would like. If they are not forged and they are pressure cast, isn't that the same as the OEM Cast aluminum wheels? So as far strength and durability you're getting OEM quality. If these were high pressure cast I could see them being much stronger and definitely lighter. Maybe if that were the case I would get the set. However, I might as well spend my money on higher quality, like Forgelines. If I want looks I'll get a set of used ZL1 forged wheels on Ebay or maybe some knockoff replicas. Reaching out to your market you have to improve upon OEM and exceed standards IMO. Just not worth the 1700+. I'd rather spend 4800 and have custom Forgelines that are 20lbs that look great as well. I seen a set of OEM ZL1 Forged wheels and tires go for 2600 on Ebay recently.
*_ERIC_* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #588
blake2010ss

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Send a message via AIM to blake2010ss Send a message via MSN to blake2010ss
Hoping for some updates this week. Better a late Christmas gift than none.

Back to the drawing board...
blake2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote