Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Solution Finish Durability Review in Extreme Conditions

Hello everyone, today I wanted to try an experiment. I wanted to see how well Solution Finish would work in pretty extreme conditions.

What do I mean by extreme conditions? (glad you asked)
  • No preperation was done. No cleaning. No detail spray. Nada
  • Not only the above, but Solution Finish was applied on top of old wax stains.
  • No extra care will be given to treated surfaces.
  • Florida sun, heat, and rain.
  • Applicator was a cheap microfiber applicator from Walmart.

The big thing here was that there was no prep and it went over the wax stains. I did NOT wash my car (you will be able to tell in the pictures :P), nor did I clean in any way the trim.

I also applied the Solution Finish ON TOP of old wax stains from when I was more of a newbie at washing and waxing.

So... let's see how long this lasts. At 30 dollars an ounce, I will be disappointed if it doesn't last 4 to 6 months, regardless of the fact that it was applied in extreme conditions.

Application was done with a circular microfiber cheap piece of junk from walmart.

We shall see the results in the coming months. I will update.

Note: Please ignore the damage to the bumper, I bought my car used, and someone apparently didn't have a big enough garage :(

Starting condition:

Only used it on the bottom grill. Applied on right, not applied on left.

Close up

Close up of applied side:

Closer close up of applied side:

Non-applied side close up:

Non-applied side closer close up:

Other angles

Close up of middle

Far away shot:

Product: http://www.autogeek.net/solution-finish-restorer.html

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."

Last edited by ihaveacamaro; 10-13-2012 at 12:57 PM.
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Good_Times

Drives: red
Thanks for sharing. Interesting product.
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT
Seems like a similar product to Wipe New.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Times View Post
Thanks for sharing. Interesting product.
Thanks for looking ... it will be a lot more interesting if it lasts 4 to 6 months. If it does, can you imagine all the people with waxed plastic stains that could use this and get a darker appearance?

That would be pretty cool imo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Seems like a similar product to Wipe New.
Never heard of that, but after googling it seems to be a "miracle worker". I'm not a fan of miracle workers (like solution finish seems to be), so here will be an unbiased review on solution finish at least. I want it to work, but to be honest, I'm not sure it will. We will see, thanks for looking

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 10-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Interesting idea, but not sure I agree with it. I understand your want to do extreme conditions, but why? I mean, applying something in glaring disregard for manufacturers spec doesn't prove anything. If it doesn't hold up, we still have no clue if it's a worthwhile product or if it's due to your "extreme" application.

For example, we would all agree that bfwd is a phenomenal sealant, yes? So let's say I apply it in direct Texas sunlight to a car coated in Turtle Wax ice. Or say there were road oils or any number of other things on the paint. It's not going to adhere or perform very well. Nothing against the product, just wasn't used how it was intended.

If you wanted to do this, the smarter idea would've been to clean one side properly, apply, and then apply to the other side with no prep.

This is just like saying the Camaro is a pos because it isn't very good at traversing cliffs.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
Old 10-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post

If you wanted to do this, the smarter idea would've been to clean one side properly, apply, and then apply to the other side with no prep.
If it ends up not working, the next step is one side prepped correctly vs original. But I was just curious to see what happens with no prep.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Interesting idea, but not sure I agree with it. I understand your want to do extreme conditions, but why? I mean, applying something in glaring disregard for manufacturers spec doesn't prove anything. If it doesn't hold up, we still have no clue if it's a worthwhile product or if it's due to your "extreme" application.

For example, we would all agree that bfwd is a phenomenal sealant, yes? So let's say I apply it in direct Texas sunlight to a car coated in Turtle Wax ice. Or say there were road oils or any number of other things on the paint. It's not going to adhere or perform very well. Nothing against the product, just wasn't used how it was intended.

This would be the right way to test it.

This is just like saying the Camaro is a pos because it isn't very good at traversing cliffs.

*In life, there are no nandroids*

This one I agreed, but just to see what happens I think it won't harm anything. I been using it and found to last about 3 months when properly using.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia View Post
This one I agreed, but just to see what happens I think it won't harm anything. I been using it and found to last about 3 months when properly using.
Awesome results (I really wonder how long my experiment will last), and you live in Tampa (where I'm from originally), so I know you have to be going through a lot of sun, heat, and rain