Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
Adam
You Said Member

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Auto RS
anyone figure out how to turn off seatbelt chime?

Hey, don't judge me :P

sometimes I just like to cruise around town at 20 miles per hour without the seatbelt on (I find them uncomfortable honestly).

Anyone know how to disable the chime (at least past the first one)?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Easy solution...put your seatbelt on...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
You can still get hurt at slow speeds. Other people can crash into you. (reference first totaled production car).
Old 06-03-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
I can't give you an answer on that one.....except for to buckle it up and then sit down.

Of course I would just wear it anyway....your speed might not be the factor,- it could be the other guy that's speed matters when he runs into you.

.....just sayin.....I'll always wear mine...the risk isn't worth it!
Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 AM   #5
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
That is one law we can live with..............put your damn seatbelt on.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #6
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk LS3 SS
Im a Paramedic, and I see people like you get hurt really bad or killed all the time, and just cause YOUR going 20 does not mean whoever nails you is doing the same

wear it....
Old 06-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #7
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
since everyone else on here just wants to judge you instead of answer you i will do my best. I dont know for sure about the camaro but every car i have ever owned all you have to do is pull a mini fuse
Old 06-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^Possibly correct. But remember that the sensor that holds that fuse might also have something to do with an airbag??...maybe??

Not judging you, but since we are telling stories...

Shoulda seen this teenagers face last week.

Man...I really need to start taking pictures of some of these genius'. The passenger side windshield was caved OUTWARD....BIG old smash. The first thing said to him when I saw his head bleeding...."no seatbelt, huh..."

Would you believe he responded that he WAS wearing it? Of course, I'm like..."Dude...I'm not going to write you a ticket. I honestly think you learned your lesson. But, I need to know for the report...yes or no. I promise...no ticket. Not even the driver. And if you continue to say you weren't wearing it, the insurance company will eventually find out due to the follow up on the seatbelt not functioning properly. You realize the insurance company won't be too happy the manufacturers belt didn't work properly. They are going to look into the matter, you know." He said, "I'm sorry...I was scared. I didn't want to ge tin trouble. I said he wasn't....he was lucky to be alive and not have a snapped neck...paralyzed for life....ouch. Obviously, we had a talk. No ticket issued. He learned a lesson. Man, did I wish I had a pic of that.

To answer the OP's question....No, I don't know yet. Sometimes it has to do w/ turning the key forward and clicking/unclicking the seatbelt numerous times.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:34 AM   #9
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

!!??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodGU View Post
since everyone else on here just wants to judge you instead of answer you i will do my best. I dont know for sure about the camaro but every car i have ever owned all you have to do is pull a mini fuse
I don't think you're taking these posts the right way.....for example:

"Hey man, I want to hang myself but the knot I keep tieing isn't working....can you show me how to tie a good knot?"

I think I would try to help them instead of letting them do something that will cause harm to themself! It has nothing to do with judging....it's just trying to help a fellow camaro lover....or human for that matter. He will probably find out a solution to his request soon enough, but I don't want to be the one that gives him the "bullet" and walks away.
-good day
Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 AM   #10
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 72 GTO 07 NBS Silverado
I think no seat belt should mean no insurance if there's an accident.

I just wonder how many wake up in hospital and say " I wasn't wearing it but I feel more comfortable now!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:26 AM   #11
Adam
You Said Member

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Auto RS
If people can smoke or drink (both dangerous under ALL circumstances), then I'm within my rights to choose to to wear a belt. To the EMT and others so concerned for my safety, you seem to think this is about you, it's not. It's about me. How many of you have gone above the speed limit? It's the same thing.

Every one of you does something unsafe, and I bet most of you do something that is unsafe to people who are around you rather than simply unsafe to yourself.

So stop being stupid and either contribute something useful like actual information or simply don't bother posting.

By the way, wearing a seatbelt only helps against forward momentum, which when you are going slow only happens on a direct head on collision, which are avoidable if you are paying attention. But all of this, WHILE COMPLETELY TRUE, is not the point, and if you focus on whether what I'm doing is safe or not, then you are missing the point.

The chime isn't going to make me put my seatbelt on in town (I live in rural kansas ffs, if you knew anything about that you'd know how silly your responses come across), it's just going to distract me while I'm driving.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 AM   #12
H3LLJumper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS VIN#11184
k
Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 AM   #13
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
I wish I could order this car without crumplezones, airbags, and air conditioning. And all those other useless features like onstar=noprivacy and xm=I'M PAYING FOR RADIO? Not freaking likely, radio, satellite or not sucks.
Screw airbags, ac, and crumples. Nothing but problems and expenses.

I support seatbelts because they keep you inside the car when its going for a wild roll. Speaking from experience here. (Circle track race but what the hell, I flipped into a ditch lol. Good thing there was a bunch of drunk spectators to flip me back over so i could get back in the race =D)
Old 06-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #14
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
You want crumplezones. I crashed in a 57 Chevy once.. only crumple zone was my face on the dash lol. Pre shoulder belts.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:10 AM   #15
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

ok hero, do what you want....you're going to anyway.
If it's not going to be used, just cut the damn buckle off your seat belt and buckle it!!!
.....if the chime is going to distract you you are deffinately going to need your seat belt...lol
Old 06-03-2009, 04:48 AM   #16
orange_5thgen

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS BadAss 6 Speed
I know you're supposed to wear a seat belt and I do where mine. Well, most of the time anyway, BUT I can't stand those damn chimes.

I have not received my Camaro and therefore have not received the owners manual, but I've seen instructions on how to disable the chime on past cars and my current truck.

On my truck and another car I had to go through several motions to shut it off. I think I had to turn my key to the on or start position, press on the brake 3 times, then turn the key to the off position, stand on one foot and then hop around in a circle.

Seriously, it was something stupid like that and it did shut off that annoying chime.

I mean that chime is not going to make me wear my seatbelt when it goes off. It's just going to make me a pissed off non-seat belt wearing driver!

I know, I know I should always wear one and I usually do so GET OFF MY BACK ALREADY!

Anyway, have you looked really well through the owners manual to see if there is some info on how to shut it off?
Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 AM   #17
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If people can smoke or drink (both dangerous under ALL circumstances), then I'm within my rights to choose to to wear a belt. To the EMT and others so concerned for my safety, you seem to think this is about you, it's not. It's about me. How many of you have gone above the speed limit? It's the same thing.

Every one of you does something unsafe, and I bet most of you do something that is unsafe to people who are around you rather than simply unsafe to yourself.

So stop being stupid and either contribute something useful like actual information or simply don't bother posting.

By the way, wearing a seatbelt only helps against forward momentum, which when you are going slow only happens on a direct head on collision, which are avoidable if you are paying attention. But all of this, WHILE COMPLETELY TRUE, is not the point, and if you focus on whether what I'm doing is safe or not, then you are missing the point.

The chime isn't going to make me put my seatbelt on in town (I live in rural kansas ffs, if you knew anything about that you'd know how silly your responses come across), it's just going to distract me while I'm driving.
I appreciate your need to only have "constructive" responses to your request to dissable your chime. Find the chime and bash it with a hammer.

However, your statement above begs for correction.

At 15 mph if you get hit in a side impact going through an intersection by a car or truck going even 30 mph, you will be shot across your car like a canon. If you have a passenger, you would crush them and likely kill them. Sorry, I know this as an engineer who has run these tests and also from the death of a family friend.

Having a belt on will keep you in your seated position so that you have a better chance of maintaining control of your vehicle.

And in Michigan, at least, you don't have a "right" to opperate a motor vehicle or do so without a belt. There are laws. Yes, you are more than welcome to flaunt that law. Just don't think there are no consequences to you or your passengers.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:20 AM   #18
camaro67
Account Suspended

Drives: marina blue 67
gimme back my bullet.of all yhe things ive lost in life i miss my mind the most.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 AM   #19
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Dude Number 3, I just sprayed coffee on my keyboard when I read your User Title. "Need wheels & tires".

It sucks that Number 3 got jacked like that but reading that just hit my funny bone for some reason. Thanks for the morning comedy.

To the OP, I found that the chime in my Silverado was just a plug-in box. The chime was for the open door, key in ignition seatbelt and all. I just unplugged the box. It may not be that way in the Camaro, but it would be worth hunting it down.

I always wear my seatbelt but I wanted to kill the key in ignition-door open chime. Trying to have a tailgate party and hearing "ding-ding" mixed in with my jams just wasn't cool. LOL

Old 06-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #20
Buckbo

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Hey, don't judge me :P

sometimes I just like to cruise around town at 20 miles per hour without the seatbelt on (I find them uncomfortable honestly).

Anyone know how to disable the chime (at least past the first one)?
Since you didn't ask for my opinion on wearing one I won't give it to you but in answer to your question, did you read the owners manual? I know we usually hate to do that but there may be instructions in there under seatbelt operation. I don't know for sure since I'm still waiting for my car.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #21
robby

Drives: 02 B4C 6M
To the OP,
The chime is not a separate component.
The sound is broadcast through the radio speakers so don't dissasemble the car looking for it.
It appears, if you can get the male end of a belt and insert it into the latch, the system will interpet this as belt on and no chime.

Rob
Old 06-03-2009, 07:05 AM   #22
arozar

Drives: 2007 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight_23 View Post
Easy solution...put your seatbelt on...

A very simple solution!!!!
2001 Trans-Am WS6 M6

http://site.despair.com/governmentmotors/

Old 06-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #23
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
although I disagree with this desire in every way just go an buy a spare seatbelt buckle and plug it in. You can find them at any junk yard and most of them are universal. Just take a picture of one before you go look for one and try to match it.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #24
fastball
White 'n Nerdy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I think everyone is going overboard here. Lay off him. I wear my seatbelt all the time, but I do not have a problem with people who don't, nor should anyone else. Just as I have no problem with anyone not wearing a motorcycle helmet, even though I would never ride without one. I do not support any laws that require people to wear belts or helmets, either. People know the risks, and they are well within their rights to not wear a seatbelt if they so prefer.

So, having said that, if you want to eliminate the seatbelt chime, there is one logical way to do it. First, you could jump or solder the switch in the seatbelt buckle. There's usually a wire that plugs into the floor under the driver's seat that goes to the belt buckle. You can solder that closed or put a jumper wire across it and your car will never chime (just remember to remove it before you sell the car).

You can also wait for someone to figure out disable it via the whole switch on acessory, hold the brakes for 2 seconds, plug the belt in and out 3 times, do a song and dance routine.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #25
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Yeah simple solution keep your seatbelt on

Closed Thread