Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #1
69 Post Sedan

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS396 300 Post
ZL1 Assembly Line

Orley Koppes is purchasing a new ZL1 Camaro and the question came up if he was able to watch his car being built on the assembly line in Oshawa, ON.

Does anyone know if this can happen?

Thanks in advance, Kurt

Here's Orley sitting behind his Cuda and another picture of his white Nickey Stage 2 Camaro that he traded in for the ZL1.

69 Post Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
No, GM only opens up the plant once a year for fans/customers. They do not provide any service like what you can get when you order a Z06/ZR1.

It would be nice if they did, I know I would have loved to of seen my ZL-1 being built. Plus the engines are assembled in Mexico.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
No, GM only opens up the plant once a year for fans/customers. They do not provide any service like what you can get when you order a Z06/ZR1.

It would be nice if they did, I know I would have loved to of seen my ZL-1 being built. Plus the engines are assembled in Mexico.
Correct.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
If you have enough money and the right connections, yeah
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
69 Post Sedan

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS396 300 Post
Thanks for replies.

Kurt
69 Post Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Hi, I actually sent an e-mail to Customer Service suggesting to them that they install cameras along the assembly line. I suggested that they contact the customer when the vehicle starts down the line (it takes about 22 hours from start to finish) through the "track your Order" system. I would have loved to watch it being built. Just to check in every few hours would of been awesome!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350268908.671557.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  97.3 KB

I think anyone who ordered a ZL1 would love to check it out as it goes down the assembly line. I also told them this was a very low cost investment that would pay ten fold in customer satisfaction!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
flyingskibiker

Drives: Cars, Trucks, Bikes, ORVs, Planes
Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post

I was thinking of starting a thread about this. It wouldn't have to be as big as the ZR1 deal. But maybe see your car on the line, get the workers to sign the "build sheet" and ship it w/ the car, pull a Dodge Viper deal and maybe have a disposible camera travel w/ the car down the line and ship that, have a track day somewhere, maybe some signatures from exec.s, etc. It wouldn't need to include the engine build, "presentation" of your car, or any other "large" interuption... And sure, charge for it...

Would be nice.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
ZL1speed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red
I sincerely think this is long overdue. I know this has been talked about year after year. They just need to get this done period. Add it as an option 1200 1500. Which you are responsible for your own travel arrangements. Everyone i know would pay it. This car is iconic and seriously they need to get closer to the customer on whatever they build. WIN WIN in my book and i know it would totally help them customer wise. Let's hope they have something going forward
ZL1speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Nightspore68

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL-1, Victory Red
They're trying to build cars, not run a TV show. How would you like it if your customers watched you while you were at work?
Nightspore68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
firecross91

Drives: ZL1 #1691 Black on black.
I couldn't get an inside tour of the plant when I visited. I don't know why they (Chevy) aren't more open to it's customers. They still haven't released the reason for the QA hold earlier this year. We (the ZL1 owners) have spent about $58,000 for the car and I think they should at least let us know what the QA hold was for. I would like to know just for piece of mind. I'm glad they fixed the problem but would like to know what it was.
firecross91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
I couldn't get an inside tour of the plant when I visited. I don't know why they (Chevy) aren't more open to it's customers. They still haven't released the reason for the QA hold earlier this year. We (the ZL1 owners) have spent about $58,000 for the car and I think they should at least let us know what the QA hold was for. I would like to know just for piece of mind. I'm glad they fixed the problem but would like to know what it was.
I'd guess that personal tours are probably limited due to legal liabilities.

As far as revealing the reason for the QC hold? GM has never said, and never will for a whole lot of reasons. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to tell us.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #12
flyingskibiker

Drives: Cars, Trucks, Bikes, ORVs, Planes
Send a message via Yahoo to flyingskibiker
I've toured Harley, Monaco, NASA (2 sites), Boeing, Lancair, and a few electronic manufacturing sites. They will either tell you where you can't go or take pictures or tell you to leave your cameras/phones put away. They get confiscated otherwise. Also had to wear safety glasses, maybe sign something, etc.

IMHO, it really isn't a bother to the workers. The would get use to it after a couple times...

I think it would be worth it to GM. Not in profits or anything...
Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #13
Nightspore68

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL-1, Victory Red
I think the German manufacturers do allow (and promote) factory tours, now that I think about it.
Nightspore68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
They still haven't released the reason for the production holdup earlier this year. I would like to know just for piece of mind. I'm glad they fixed the problem but would like to know what it was.
Camaro production was stopped until they could get all the customers out of the plant who were up there trying to see their ZL1s built.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Unfortunately Tours are not available at Oshawa.

Those who attended the Camaro Homecoming in 2011 saw that the plant isn't set up for a tour as the Corvette plant is. The aisles are very narrow - there is a substantial amount of forklift traffic ( that's a very dangerous thing) - and we basically had to place a guide at about every 30 feet or so the entire length of the tour. (not to mention that there are a lot of 'dark' areas in the plant - where the car procedes on the line between work stations......no need to have overhead lighting.

Yes - it would be great to allow customers to watch their car being built - but there are issues with that......and, as some pointed out, I'm not sure that every employee would want their picture taken day in and day out. They are concentrating on building you a great product.