Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM   #1
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
Bleeding Brakes, How to protect your caliper?

So It's getting closer to that time for me to be bleeding my calipers when i receive them back from Mike the powdercoater and im interested in hearing what you did to protect your calipers from potential brake fluid disaster.. I purchased new steel braided brake lines and think it would be best to install them on the calipers before attaching them to the main lines to reduce potential dripping but how about the inner/out bleed point when using the clear tubing after youve relieved all air pockets/bubbles and go to take it off?
Heartbeat Supercharger, Roto-Fab Cold Air,V-Maxx TB, Elite E2 Catch Can,NGK Trix7 Spark Plugs, GM Performance ZL1 Fuel Pump & ADM FPCM, ID-850 Injectors, JDP Clutch Res Relocation, Kooks LT's/Cat-less, Corsa 3" ZL1 black tip exhaust, 1.25'' Front & 1" Rear Drop, BMR (Sway's, Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Front End Links, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Outer Trailing Arm Bushings) FMT Solid Subframe Bushings, Slotted and Dimpled Rotors and Hawk HPS Pads, 315's In the Rear and 275's Upfront
Nighthawk89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #2
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
put your thumb on the other end of the clear hose and it will hold it in there. some will drip out put atleast you dont dump alot on it
http://youtu.be/CSc9aPh_X_w
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM   #3
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
put your thumb on the other end of the clear hose and it will hold it in there. some will drip out put atleast you dont dump alot on it
Ahh, so your suggesting putting your thumb on the part where the hose connects to the nipple and almost bending it or where the hose goes into the bottle?
Heartbeat Supercharger, Roto-Fab Cold Air,V-Maxx TB, Elite E2 Catch Can,NGK Trix7 Spark Plugs, GM Performance ZL1 Fuel Pump & ADM FPCM, ID-850 Injectors, JDP Clutch Res Relocation, Kooks LT's/Cat-less, Corsa 3" ZL1 black tip exhaust, 1.25'' Front & 1" Rear Drop, BMR (Sway's, Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Front End Links, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Outer Trailing Arm Bushings) FMT Solid Subframe Bushings, Slotted and Dimpled Rotors and Hawk HPS Pads, 315's In the Rear and 275's Upfront
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #4
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
I've not had any issues with brake fluid harming the powder coating, so if you do get a little on there you'll probably be ok.
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #5
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
You can buy a brake bleed bottle on Amazon for less than $20.00.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam Dyno Tuned, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% under drive pulley, All ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Transmission cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, Nitrous Express 150 shot, ADM Intake with race scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD custom auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane suspension bushings, ZL1 wheels, ZL1 spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, LED lighting,
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM   #6
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
I've not had any issues with brake fluid harming the powder coating, so if you do get a little on there you'll probably be ok.
Good news forsure. I was even contemplating using some tape on the back side of the caliper to catch any additional drippings and also kind of make a fortress of a part of a paper towel around each bleeder nipple.. Needless to say id be pretty bummed if i F'd them up as soon as i got them done lol.
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #7
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Rinse the caliper with plain water afterwards.
1LE rear sway bar
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:23 PM   #8
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Or attach a clear plastic hose to the bleeder and put the other end in a container such as a pop bottle of milk jug
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:35 PM   #9
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Get a bleeder bottle. I just changed my fluid, literally 45 minutes ago. Didn't spill a drop on the calipers. Used a bleeder bottle and a Motive bleeder kit.
Old Today, 02:54 PM   #10
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
surprise, I was changing out wheels yesterday and discovered that my mechanic had let brake fluid leak and I did not see it because of the style of wheels I was running. Bottom line, the brake fluid did cause lifting of the clear coat covering the label that Mike put on. I will have to send back this winter to have it redone. Very much a real problem. FYI..

Dane

Phoenix Gold iSeries AMP; Airaid CAI; Elite Eng. CC; LSR short shift; Vmaxx TB; FE4 conversion; BMR springs/sways; Spohn trailing arms; Magnaflow 16843 3" cat back; Kook's 1 7/8 LT headers/high flow cats; JDP stage 2 CAM; 3.91 1LE Diff; CSF Radiator; Varro VD02 with 275/315 Conti Extreme;Clutch res. kit; ACS T5 splitter; GEN5DIY Mylink; Anvil CF Spoiler and the list goes on...
gr8daneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:03 PM   #11
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
Get a bleeder bottle. I just changed my fluid, literally 45 minutes ago. Didn't spill a drop on the calipers. Used a bleeder bottle and a Motive bleeder kit.
I just got the Black Motive Bleeder and will be using a gatorade bottle and clear piece of hosing to attach to the inner and outer bleeder nipples. The only concern i have it.. There is usually a little bit of fluid in the clear tubing. Im guessing a pair of nettle nose vice grips will work just above the bleeder nipple.

Im also thinking of using the motive with this dry method and purchasing the 2 barbed male and female connection pieces to maintain PSI

http://www.exitthefastlane.com/2013/...oir-brake.html
Old Today, 09:06 PM   #12
Nighthawk89

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8daneh View Post
surprise, I was changing out wheels yesterday and discovered that my mechanic had let brake fluid leak and I did not see it because of the style of wheels I was running. Bottom line, the brake fluid did cause lifting of the clear coat covering the label that Mike put on. I will have to send back this winter to have it redone. Very much a real problem. FYI..

Dane

Hence While ill be doing this kinda stuff myself. I know sometimes mechanics can be in somewhat of a rush and not realize.