Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Circle-D
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
iLLcoolZ
NSM
 
iLLcoolZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 213
The paint has been messed up.

Hey guys,

I have a pretty big problem. Our neighbours were doing some painting to their house, and I'm guessing with the wind, the paint mixed with dust (Kuwait is a dusty place), and that mixture settled all over our cars!! Now, the entire car is rough, including the windows. My friends told me to polish the car, and that should get it fixed. But what about the windows? The color of the car is the same, but it's just not smooth anymore :(. What do I do? I really need your help guys, I'm incredibly pissed and disappointed.
__________________
Stay hungry, stay foolish.

iLLcoolZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLcoolZ View Post
Hey guys,

I have a pretty big problem. Our neighbours were doing some painting to their house, and I'm guessing with the wind, the paint mixed with dust (Kuwait is a dusty place), and that mixture settled all over our cars!! Now, the entire car is rough, including the windows. My friends told me to polish the car, and that should get it fixed. But what about the windows? The color of the car is the same, but it's just not smooth anymore :(. What do I do? I really need your help guys, I'm incredibly pissed and disappointed.

Don't worry, it's easily fixable. A clay bar will take care of that problem easily. Wash the car well, then clay it. It'll take some time and elbow grease, but it'll come out better than new.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
iLLcoolZ
NSM
 
iLLcoolZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Don't worry, it's easily fixable. A clay bar will take care of that problem easily. Wash the car well, then clay it. It'll take some time and elbow grease, but it'll come out better than new.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
You know what the problem is, I personally don't know how to use that stuff, so I'm taking to a car wash that does everything related to getting a car clean and detailing, they told me they'll fix it by using that huge spinning brush with polish in order to smoothen it all out. Should that be able to get the job done?
__________________
Stay hungry, stay foolish.

iLLcoolZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLcoolZ View Post
You know what the problem is, I personally don't know how to use that stuff, so I'm taking to a car wash that does everything related to getting a car clean and detailing, they told me they'll fix it by using that huge spinning brush with polish in order to smoothen it all out. Should that be able to get the job done?
That'll probably do more harm than good. Definitely wouldn't recommend that. It's like using a chainsaw to trim your fingernails.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Ryanbabz71


 
Ryanbabz71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Avon, Indiana
Posts: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLcoolZ View Post
You know what the problem is, I personally don't know how to use that stuff, so I'm taking to a car wash that does everything related to getting a car clean and detailing, they told me they'll fix it by using that huge spinning brush with polish in order to smoothen it all out. Should that be able to get the job done?
Oh my god

Don't do that!

Claybar it


Ryan
__________________
Ryan
* 2012 2SS Camaro Convertible Ashen Gray
Car Build: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257256
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
iLLcoolZ
NSM
 
iLLcoolZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
That'll probably do more harm than good. Definitely wouldn't recommend that. It's like using a chainsaw to trim your fingernails.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
What I meant, is that he'll use a buffer. I'll see what my options are tomorrow, thank you for your help.
__________________
Stay hungry, stay foolish.

iLLcoolZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Angelo@Autopia
 
Angelo@Autopia's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLcoolZ View Post
You know what the problem is, I personally don't know how to use that stuff, so I'm taking to a car wash that does everything related to getting a car clean and detailing, they told me they'll fix it by using that huge spinning brush with polish in order to smoothen it all out. Should that be able to get the job done?
Now that's something I would stay away from, you need to use clay and then follow up with polishing to bring it back. Ask them if they know anything about claying a car.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
iLLcoolZ
NSM
 
iLLcoolZ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo@Autopia View Post
Now that's something I would stay away from, you need to use clay and then follow up with polishing to bring it back. Ask them if they know anything about claying a car.
I will, I'm gonna pass by another place that's been around for a really long time, they should know what to do. Thank you
__________________
Stay hungry, stay foolish.

iLLcoolZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.
 
ihaveacamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: #198
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 4,826
If anyone is going to put your car through a machine that flaps at it like a retarded fish or everything is timed by the machine with no human involvement, just walk away. You WILL do more harm than good.

Clay bar is the way to go. It's insanely easy to use. Just spray some clay lube on your car and on your clay bar. Slide it gently on the paint side to side, until you feel the paint go smooth. Repeat and continue. When you see that the clay bar has all these tiny specks in it of contamination, smoosh it all up in your hands a few times until the clay looks clean again (this process is called kneading). When you have finished an area, wipe the clay residue off with a microfiber cloth. It's that simple.

Clay kits (easy to find all over the internet) and probably available in kuwait as well, generally include the clay and clay lube and possibly other things.
__________________
.



Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Angelo@Autopia
 
Angelo@Autopia's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 939
Let us know what happens and I been to Kuwait and yes, it's a dirty dusty place that's hard to keep one's car clean there.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Mr. iNCREDIBLE


 
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal Baby...
Posts: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLcoolZ View Post
You know what the problem is, I personally don't know how to use that stuff, so I'm taking to a car wash that does everything related to getting a car clean and detailing, they told me they'll fix it by using that huge spinning brush with polish in order to smoothen it all out. Should that be able to get the job done?

that is basically the same as sand blasting your car, you have sand grains in the paint, taking a buffer to it will only serve to grind that sand into your paint.
__________________
I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you fail to understand.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
Rhyder


 
Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: atlanta
Posts: 2,491
if you dont want to use the clay bar, theres a thread on here that was pining the awsomness of some liquid cleaner that supposedly worked as well as the clay bar....thread was something like no more clay bars.......should be able to search "clay bar" and find it....might be an option for you
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07


 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow V6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
if you dont want to use the clay bar, theres a thread on here that was pining the awsomness of some liquid cleaner that supposedly worked as well as the clay bar....thread was something like no more clay bars.......should be able to search "clay bar" and find it....might be an option for you
Really? I don't remember that. I'll have to look it up. I don't know how a liquid could accomplish what clay does, but then, there's a lot of things I don't know.

*In life, there are no nandroids*
__________________
[B]
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
Rhyder


 
Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: atlanta
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Really? I don't remember that. I'll have to look it up. I don't know how a liquid could accomplish what clay does, but then, there's a lot of things I don't know.

*In life, there are no nandroids*

you did the thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=clay
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.