Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Road Course/Track and Autocross For road course/track and autocross discussions.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro M6
Road Atlanta trackday video with Pfadt suspension parts

So... I just wanted to give everyone a little snack. This is a short video of my SS at Road Atlanta on Sep 30th 2012. I have seen as much as 1.5 g's and regularly see 1.4g's... however in this video you will only see 1.3g's. I had high hopes for lap 3 until we got black flagged. I let some cars pass me... I don't think they saw the black flag until late.

Lap 1 is a warm-up lap. I'm not trying to push it too hard.

Lap 2 is my personal fastest timed lap to date, but not my fastest MPH in the back straight. I've seen 140mph before. 130 is just a good cruising speed back there....it doesn't overwork my brakes. 121mph is my fastest in the front straight though. If you've never been to Road Atlanta you just kinda have to swallow your nuts through turn 12 until you get used to it!

I can't say enough good stuff about the host of Pfadt suspension parts that are on my car.

2nd video same session after black flag was cleared.
ARH 1-7/8" Headers and complete exhaust - NO cats!
Varraram CAI - Vmax throttle body, ATI 10% underdrive pulley
RPS Street Twin - MGW Shifter
3.91 gears + DSS 1000hp axles
PFADT - Stage 4 Camaro Road Racing Kit - 8" springs 325# and 600# - ZL Spec Sway bars - Strut Tower Brace - Camber plates.
CTSV front calipers - Hawk DTC 30 pads
Street: Forgestar F14 20x9 and 20x11, 275/315 Nitto Invo's, Track: TOYO R888 285/35/20 on 4 corners

Last edited by JMAC2011; 10-16-2012 at 03:21 PM.
JMAC2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
driser

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Hey that is awesome. Would like to see the RPM as well as the speed. Several places where you are in 3rd when I stayed in 4th, and I never got into 2nd before the straight.

Couple of questions...do you heel and toe?

Which strut brace do you have and your opinion on getting one.

That camera is really something, and really nice to be able to track you lap times.

thanks for sending it to me.

Not going to be able to make anything in November, wish there was a one day event, because I have a better chance of making one day than two. I have to use my Atlanta Motorsports Park track day before the year end, so I will certainly get that done. I am going to Le petite lemans this weekend, will be there saturday.

Hope the clutch repair wasn't too bad, and thanks in advance for the answers to the questions above.

David
driser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
What software/setup are you using for data overlay, especially the OBD2 interface? Bluetooth or wired? I've been looking at trackmaster with an external GPS, bluetooth OBD2, and bluetooth hookup to a gopro but I haven't found good info on the OBD hookup with a reliable setup.

I'm interested in doing something along those lines for next season.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by driser View Post
Couple of questions...do you heel and toe?

Which strut brace do you have and your opinion on getting one.
David
1. I practive heel and toe on the street because I just started doing it this year. I'm trying to get smooth enough that I can do it quickly on the track. I practice it on the track when nobody is close to me so I can brake sooner and think about what I'm doing.

2. The strut tower brace I have is from Pfadt. I like how it spreads and ties the load among 4 points which is more than 2 points (most braces out there) and the Pfadt unit spreads it out across the strut tower itself a bit more... almost as if it is cradling and using more leverage to stabilize the tower. The car feels a little more reliably crisp and controlled at intial turn-in. I've heard if you add a supercharger like a whipple that this strut brace requires some spacers to raise it just enough to clear... and just enough not to touch the bottom of the hood. The only thing I don't like about this brace is when I check the oil when the engine is hot the strut brace is also pretty hot fromt he rising header heat. It might be time for and extractor hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
What software/setup are you using for data overlay, especially the OBD2 interface? Bluetooth or wired?

1. It's a wired connection. The bullet style camera and the recording device are separate from each other and it is powered by a cigarette lighter outlet (or hardwired if you purchase the power connector). It also has a wired GPS receiver that I run out the window to the roof on the passenger side.

2. I'm using the software that came with the Smarty Cam GP unit. It only works with windows so I have to use bootcamp on my Macbook. The system is exapandle with a different data unit that can literally replace an entire dashboard while recording as many difference kinds of data as you can buy sensors for (Speed, rpm, water temp, oil temp, etc....) I still need to learn more about its abilities myself. I now can learn a lot by replaying the videos and seeing my MPH at any particular corner. I think I'm growing faster as a driver because I can analyze the data. I don't think I had that ability with a GoPro. I can also look at the g-meter and metally calculate how hard I'm pushing the car as well as how much harder I think I can push it. My instructor at one point took turn 12 at 95 mph in my car at 1.0 to 1.1 g's. I now know, as I get better and more comfortable, I should be able to do at least the same. It would be awesome to video someone like Randy Pobst driving my car and then whittle away at getting equally as fast in my car.
PFADT - Stage 4 Camaro Road Racing Kit - 8" springs 325# and 600# - ZL Spec Sway bars - Strut Tower Brace - Camber plates.
Street: Forgestar F14 20x9 and 20x11, 275/315 Nitto Invo's, Track: TOYO R888 285/35/20 on 4 corners

Last edited by JMAC2011; 10-16-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
This is great JMAC! We really love to see our customers learning and growing as drivers behind the wheel of their Camaro's. The legitimate data logging is a really important step and it definitely will allow you to find the thresholds reached by your instructors and get yourself to that level.

As always be sure to keep us in mind with any questions you might have, but it looks like the car is working REALLY well out there for you. Hopefully you got your clutch situation worked out!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
JMAC,

Looks good! That track looks to be a lot of fun. Your running a pretty serious setup there. What are you running for alignment? How do you like the R888's and what wheel/size are you running them on?

Travis

The Workhorse: 2006 Silverado CCSB, EFI Live, MBRP/Diamond Eye 4" turbo back, Edge Insight CTS
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 JDP Track Spec Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC2011 View Post
So... I just wanted to give everyone a little snack. This is a short video of my SS at Road Atlanta on Sep 30th 2012. I have seen as much as 1.5 g's and regularly see 1.4g's... however in this video you will only see 1.3g's. I had high hopes for lap 3 until we got black flagged. I let some cars pass me... I don't think they saw the black flag until late.

Lap 1 is a warm-up lap. I'm not trying to push it too hard.

Lap 2 is my personal fastest timed lap to date, but not my fastest MPH in the back straight. I've seen 140mph before. 130 is just a good cruising speed back there....it doesn't overwork my brakes. 121mph is my fastest in the front straight though. If you've never been to Road Atlanta you just kinda have to swallow your nuts through turn 12 until you get used to it!

I can't say enough good stuff about the host of Pfadt suspension parts that are on my car.

2nd video same session after black flag was cleared.
Very Nice!!!

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
1. It's a wired connection. The bullet style camera and the recording device are separate from each other and it is powered by a cigarette lighter outlet (or hardwired if you purchase the power connector). It also has a wired GPS receiver that I run out the window to the roof on the passenger side.

2. I'm using the software that came with the Smarty Cam GP unit. It only works with windows so I have to use bootcamp on my Macbook. The system is exapandle with a different data unit that can literally replace an entire dashboard while recording as many difference kinds of data as you can buy sensors for (Speed, rpm, water temp, oil temp, etc....) I still need to learn more about its abilities myself. I now can learn a lot by replaying the videos and seeing my MPH at any particular corner. I think I'm growing faster as a driver because I can analyze the data. I don't think I had that ability with a GoPro. I can also look at the g-meter and metally calculate how hard I'm pushing the car as well as how much harder I think I can push it. My instructor at one point took turn 12 at 95 mph in my car at 1.0 to 1.1 g's. I now know, as I get better and more comfortable, I should be able to do at least the same. It would be awesome to video someone like Randy Pobst driving my car and then whittle away at getting equally as fast in my car.
Looks like a nice setup but a bit too spendy for me right now. I'd rather sink it into the car until I get all the goodies I want installed. The integration of that unit is impressive and cheaper than a lot of the other all-inclusive systems out there.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadams72 View Post
JMAC,
Your running a pretty serious setup there. What are you running for alignment? How do you like the R888's and what wheel/size are you running them on?

Travis
Hey Travis, I spend a good bit of time considering my alignment and reading the tires after sessions. The current alignment is nearly identical to Pfadt's recommendation. I'm running 2.1 degrees of negative in the front with about 7.5 degrees of caster and a tiny bit of toe in for high speed stability. In the rear I'm running 1.5 degrees of negative camber with a little bit of toe in as well. I think I could move to 2.3-2.4 in the front. Evenness of tire wear is nearly perfect at my current specs.

I also have the Pfadt sway bars on the car. It is important to recognize that I am running a square setup with 285/35/20's on all 4 corners. I purchased some replica 20x9's to run on the front with 5/16" wheel spacers. The reason why it is important to consider the square setup is because of the rear sway bar adjustment. I've never run it on the outter most setting. I have, however, run the rear bar in the center hole and the inner most hole(stiffest setting). I'm not sure which I like better. I feel like I can throttle out of the corners a little harder in the middle setting without the backend coming around... a little bit of push. With the stiffest setting I can rotate the car a little easier coming out of slow speed sharp turns like 6 and 7 at Road Atlanta. If I had larger tires in the back like 315's I think I would stick to the stiffest hole, but I think I'm going to move it back to the middle and see what I think - it handled very neutrally in the middle. With the square setup I don't think the stiffest setting is necessary. I guess I'll find out on the next track day.

I really like the R888's. They hold up well the entire session length. If I'm pushing the car really hard for a full 30 minutes they get a little greasy... but only a little. I think they are wearing well. I've done 4 full track weekends and I'm a llittle over 1/2 worn. Traction has stayed pretty consistent through the wearing process so far. They also do a good job of talking to me. They have a large range of squeal... they tell you everything that is going on... if you loose traction with these tires it should not be a surprise - you should have known that it was coming. The ability to listen to the tire inspires a lot of confidence. Others brands may squeal very little before letting go of traction so you don't always know how close to the edge of the traction limit you are. I would definitly suggest running these tires for a season or two before switching to something like a Hoosier.

Next season I think I'm going to run different wheels and tires. I want to go down to a 19" so I can buy the Toyo R888 in 295's. I will have a shorter overall diameter that will help acceleration a bit and will also be wider and significantly lighter. The current 20" situation is just way too heavy. I really want to reduce as much rotating and unsprung weight as I can. It will be easier on all the parts of the car if I go to smaller and lighter wheels and tires. 19's should fit most brakes... as opposed to an 18" that might require some suspension grinding before installation and limit brake choices... not sure though.

Last edited by JMAC2011; 10-17-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
Hey Travis, I spend a good bit of time considering my alignment and reading the tires after sessions. The current alignment is nearly identical to Pfadt's recommendation. I'm running 2.1 degrees of negative in the front with about 7.5 degrees of caster and a tiny bit of toe in for high speed stability. In the rear I'm running 1.5 degrees of negative camber with a little bit of toe in as well. I think I could move to 2.3-2.4 in the front. Evenness of tire wear is nearly perfect at my current specs.

I also have the Pfadt sway bars on the car. It is important to recognize that I am running a square setup with 285/35/20's on all 4 corners. I purchased some replica 20x9's to run on the front with 5/16" wheel spacers. The reason why it is important to consider the square setup is because of the rear sway bar adjustment. I've never run it on the outter most setting. I have, however, run the rear bar in the center hole and the inner most hole(stiffest setting). I'm not sure which I like better. I feel like I can throttle out of the corners a little harder in the middle setting without the backend coming around... a little bit of push. With the stiffest setting I can rotate the car a little easier coming out of slow speed sharp turns like 6 and 7 at Road Atlanta. If I had larger tires in the back like 315's I think I would stick to the stiffest hole, but I think I'm going to move it back to the middle and see what I think - it handled very neutrally in the middle. With the square setup I don't think the stiffest setting is necessary. I guess I'll find out on the next track day.

I really like the R888's. They hold up well the entire session length. If I'm pushing the car really hard for a full 30 minutes they get a little greasy... but only a little. I think they are wearing well. I've done 4 full track weekends and I'm a llittle over 1/2 worn. Traction has stayed pretty consistent through the wearing process so far. They also do a good job of talking to me. They have a large range of squeal... they tell you everything that is going on... if you loose traction with these tires it should not be a surprise - you should have known that it was coming. The ability to listen to the tire inspires a lot of confidence. Others brands may squeal very little before letting go of traction so you don't always know how close to the edge of the traction limit you are. I would definitly suggest running these tires for a season or two before switching to something like a Hoosier.

Next season I think I'm going to run different wheels and tires. I want to go down to a 19" so I can buy the Toyo R888 in 295's. I will have a shorter overall diameter that will help acceleration a bit and will also be wider and significantly lighter. The current 20" situation is just way too heavy. I really want to reduce as much rotating and unsprung weight as I can. It will be easier on all the parts of the car if I go to smaller and lighter wheels and tires. 19's should fit most brakes... as opposed to an 18" that might require some suspension grinding before installation and limit brake choices... not sure though.
JMAC,

Good feedback. I am runnning the Pfadt stage 3 setup with adjustable end links, on the stock Pirelli's now. I run the rear sway in the middle setting though I may move it to the stiffest for the my next track event to see how it works. My car pushes terribly in the long sweepers. Doesn't seem to be as much of a factor in the tighter turns as I scrub so much speed getting into them. I plan to upgrade to the new Pfadt Coil-overs next spring/summer time but I am thinking about dropping down to an 18" wheel. I already have a pair of 18x10's for my DR's so I am thinking I will buy another pair and then run a square setup as well. 18's should clear the new Pfadt's without issue and brakes should be fine up to the CTS-V setup (considering as well).

Currently in the middle of changing out the drivetrain to the DSS aluminum shaft and road track axles with Lingenfelter 9.5" and 4.10's. Anxious to see how this helps on my next HPDE.

One last note, if you are looking for someting to help keep your butt in the seat a little better without replacing the seat, I use the Angelwings Tech Pads. Very convenient and work quite well for HPDE drivers. No more fighting to keep planted and drive the car at the same time. Plus no bruised knees from bracing yourself.

Video link for one of my HPDE at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch where a lot of the munfactures and auto tv shows test.

Travis

The Workhorse: 2006 Silverado CCSB, EFI Live, MBRP/Diamond Eye 4" turbo back, Edge Insight CTS
Old 10-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Quote:
JMAC,

Good feedback. I am runnning the Pfadt stage 3 setup with adjustable end links, on the stock Pirelli's now. I run the rear sway in the middle setting though I may move it to the stiffest for the my next track event to see how it works. My car pushes terribly in the long sweepers. Doesn't seem to be as much of a factor in the tighter turns as I scrub so much speed getting into them. I plan to upgrade to the new Pfadt Coil-overs next spring/summer time but I am thinking about dropping down to an 18" wheel. I already have a pair of 18x10's for my DR's so I am thinking I will buy another pair and then run a square setup as well. 18's should clear the new Pfadt's without issue and brakes should be fine up to the CTS-V setup (considering as well).

Currently in the middle of changing out the drivetrain to the DSS aluminum shaft and road track axles with Lingenfelter 9.5" and 4.10's. Anxious to see how this helps on my next HPDE.

One last note, if you are looking for someting to help keep your butt in the seat a little better without replacing the seat, I use the Angelwings Tech Pads. Very convenient and work quite well for HPDE drivers. No more fighting to keep planted and drive the car at the same time. Plus no bruised knees from bracing yourself.

Travis
I'm interested to hear how your new setup works out for you. I really like my square setup...I'm not a professional so being able to rotate tires is a great value for me along with the car seeming to like a square setup better.

I really want to know about the 4.10's!! I was thinking factory gear 3.92 ZL1... but maybe 4.10 or 4.11 would be better since I don't have a supercharger....then a larger camshaft might be fun too....

I'm interested to hear about your experience with the Aluminum shaft.

The only thing that I have heard about 18" wheels is having to grind a knuckle somewhere along with careful placement of wheel weights to prevent being knocked off by inadequate rotational clearance (I think I made that up). That is why I was thinking 19's.... I think I can always put some huge brakes on a 19" inch setup if I can afford it someday also....
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Well hopefully I will have some feedback for you in the coming month. Parts started arriving today so install will begin Friday. Hope the 4.10's workout. I think it should really help my engine get in the power band quicker as I am running a very similar, if not the same, cam as you.

A little eye candy for you...

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1351045691608.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  37.8 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1351045715383.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  47.5 KB

Sent from HTC Rezound so if you can't read it or my grammar, spelling, or other sucks, it is the fat fingers trying to type on this small screen. Took me 10 minutes to type this correct!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #13
JMAC2011
MONGOOSE

Quote:
Well hopefully I will have some feedback for you in the coming month. Parts started arriving today so install will begin Friday. Hope the 4.10's workout. I think it should really help my engine get in the power band quicker as I am running a very similar, if not the same, cam as you.

A little eye candy for you...

Attachment 436163Attachment 436164

Sent from HTC Rezound so if you can't read it or my grammar, spelling, or other sucks, it is the fat fingers trying to type on this small screen. Took me 10 minutes to type this correct!
So how has it all worked out for you?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #14
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Quote:
So how has it all worked out for you?
It worked pretty well. Requiring a whole new style of driving. The trip to Streets of Willow started bad with a semi retread getting launched into the front of the car on the way up. Some duct tape and road side repairs kept the trip on.

Car gets off the corners a lot better. To good in fact. Several times the first day I had the back getting away from me powering out of the corners. Used to be able to roll into the throttle pretty good but now it has to be a little more delicate. I think 4.10s are a little too much gear for the road course. Streets is smaller wih lots of transitions so it was not as evident there but on a bigger track your probably grabbing gears a little more than you would like.

The driveline is way tighter than the factory stuff. Always had some slop that just drove me nuts as the car had some low rpm lugging with a big cam. For day to day driving, 1st gear has the rpm's up just enough to make the car drive better. Oh, and on the street that 4.10 ratio is awesome for get up and go from the traffic lights and highway on ramps.

I do a little drag racing as well. Took some adjustments on the launch but already shaved close to .2 in the 1/8th so the 1/4 with some good track prep should be pretty impressive.

Durability probably cannot be called into question. Every piece is precision engineered and much beefier than factory. Bottom line, Lingenfelter and DSS put a good kit together and other than having to dimple on exhaust pipe, the install was a bolt in cake walk.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
Hey where do I buy a camera like that to record for the next time I go to the track? Oh and with the lap times and g's I'm pulling?

Last edited by madmaxx18; 03-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote