Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
toddsZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM#1645
First Time on Track

Hi everyone, taking My ZL1 to a local track on Sunday. Looking for some set up advice with which PTM mode to use, tire pressure, stuff like that.
The track is 1 mile road course with very tight corners, most likley will be in 2 gear most of the time. Thanks Todd
Sunday is forcasted to be around 60 with mostly sunny.
toddsZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Heavy D

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Hi Todd,

I used PTM 4, in dry conditions. I wouldn't start lower than PTM 3, if it is dry. I rode stock tire pressure in the morning, but after talking with a couple of track guys and the resident tire guru, I increased cold tire pressure to 38 front / 37 rear for the afternoon, and it seemed to run better.

-Sean
Heavy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Nightspore68

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL-1, Victory Red
Chevy recommends 28 PSI front and 28 PSI rear cold; 38 front and 37 rear hot/max. They also recommend different camber and toe angles, racing brake fluid, and making sure your brakes are burnished.

See "Getting Ready for the Track" video:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220554

Nightspore68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
toddsZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM#1645
Thanks for the help, I'll post some results and photo's on Monday.
toddsZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
37PSI cold is WAYY to much, as stated above, 28-30psi cold 37-38psi hot. If you look at your tires, you will see little triangles towards the outer edge of where the tires wear. After each session, look at your tires, the wear line should be right at the triangle, if the wear line is above, let air out, if below, put more in. I have found that about 29PSI cold is where I need to be for my wear line to be at the triangle, however, this will change based on how aggresive you drive. I would definelty swap out brake fluid and burnish brakes. Other than that, a GoPro camera and common sense and have fun. PTM3 while your figuring it out, then mode 4 if you are comfortable. Watch out, it is super addicting.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I wonder if the PTM modes behave differently in a car with an auto tranny vs a 6spd?
#917 A6. 10.67@126.2 1.53 60' ATI/Lingenfelter balancer (10" ring), stock upper pulley, 90mm TB, ID850s,Rotofab/Lingenfelter intercooler reservoir, Cooler Logic HX, Lingenfelter idler relocation bracket, NGK TR7ix, 160 t-stat, Dewitts Radiator, Texas Speed 1 7/8" headers(no cats). M&H drag radials 325/45-17 & M&H 28x4.5" bias skinnies. Tuning by Frost at Performance Autosport in Richmond, VA (804) 358-2505
Stephen12ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Silverguardrail

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1448
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddsZL1 View Post
Thanks for the help, I'll post some results and photo's on Monday.
Have fun and enjoy !

ZL1 - the true definition of joy ride
Silverguardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Heavy D

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
37PSI cold is WAYY to much, as stated above, 28-30psi cold 37-38psi hot. If you look at your tires, you will see little triangles towards the outer edge of where the tires wear. After each session, look at your tires, the wear line should be right at the triangle, if the wear line is above, let air out, if below, put more in. I have found that about 29PSI cold is where I need to be for my wear line to be at the triangle, however, this will change based on how aggresive you drive. I would definelty swap out brake fluid and burnish brakes. Other than that, a GoPro camera and common sense and have fun. PTM3 while your figuring it out, then mode 4 if you are comfortable. Watch out, it is super addicting.
I have to disagree, perhaps it was since it was a cold day and a tight track, but I would have guessed lower air pressure as well, and started at 28 for the morning sessions. I found that 37-38 cold for the afternoon was not too much, and my experience on the track seemed to back it up (faster lap times, less of the PTM nanny kicking in); furthermore, a lot of the tire guys and a couple of the guys who race there regularly discussed going up to 42-43 cold, since the car is so heavy.

I have a question on the burnishing if you already have completed break in on the car. I burnished prior to going to the track, but honestly did not have any different brake feel. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? I too had already had the fluid changed for the track.

It would be interesting to hear from the tire manufacturer to see what they have been running, and what the Vette guys are running on these tires. I would guess we can't run the same pressure as the Vettes because of the extra weight.
Heavy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
69NMYSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy D View Post
I have to disagree, perhaps it was since it was a cold day and a tight track, but I would have guessed lower air pressure as well, and started at 28 for the morning sessions. I found that 37-38 cold for the afternoon was not too much, and my experience on the track seemed to back it up (faster lap times, less of the PTM nanny kicking in); furthermore, a lot of the tire guys and a couple of the guys who race there regularly discussed going up to 42-43 cold, since the car is so heavy.

I have a question on the burnishing if you already have completed break in on the car. I burnished prior to going to the track, but honestly did not have any different brake feel. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? I too had already had the fluid changed for the track.

It would be interesting to hear from the tire manufacturer to see what they have been running, and what the Vette guys are running on these tires. I would guess we can't run the same pressure as the Vettes because of the extra weight.
Wow, well I will take your word for it and give it a shot. Are you looking at your wear lines to see if they are in line with the traingles? I wouldnt think you would be getting enough contact patch at such high PSI's. These tires like to be scrubbed on the outer most edges, but if it worked for you, by all means, you are the one driving and the only one that can attest to the feel.

As far as burnishing, no I did not notice any difference in perfromance, I beleive this just helps everything seat properly and helps prevent any uneven wear of pads/rotors. I will be at Buttonwillow this Sunday and will play around with the PSI and post results.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Tire pressure are just recommendations. As posted above, judge by the triangles since they are there. Another trick is to put a chalk stripe on the sidewall and see how they are performing. Could be you got that much better by the afternoon session and it wasn't the tires. On my 99 SS, I would take air out ever session in the summer because I would get so much more pressure from the heat during a session. I would be at about 24 lbs the next morning when everything cooled.

Burnishing the brakes aligns all the atoms. It makes the pad material more compatible with the rotor.

Highly recommend changing the brake fluid and burnishing the brakes. Braking is probably more important than pure HP for fast lap times.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I wonder if the PTM modes behave differently in a car with an auto tranny vs a 6spd?
The 2013 Camaro brochure indicates that ZL1 convertibles do not have PTM and only have tour and sport settings for the magnetic ride suspension (no race setting). A serious racer would want a coupe.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
69NMYSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
The 2013 Camaro brochure indicates that ZL1 convertibles do not have PTM and only have tour and sport settings for the magnetic ride suspension (no race setting). A serious racer would want a coupe.
Is this true? If so, OUCH, that really sucks.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
The 2013 Camaro brochure indicates that ZL1 convertibles do not have PTM and only have tour and sport settings for the magnetic ride suspension (no track setting).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Is this true?
From page 14 of the 2013 Camaro brochure:

Performance Traction Management (PTM), on ZL1 Coupe, is an advanced system that integrates the Magnetic Ride Control, Launch Control with manual transmission, Traction Control and Active Handling systems to work in harmony for racetrack performance and consistency.

Magnetic Ride Control Driving Calibrations
ZL1 offers selectable calibrations: TOUR mode for normal city and highway drving, SPORT mode for road conditions that demand more control, and ZL1 Coupe takes it a step further with TRACK mode for the most challenging handling conditions, such as a road course.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote