Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
CoV

Drives: 2010 SS IOM & 99 SS Black 6M's
Question Cleaning products / techniques to Use / Avoid on a Dirt / Gravel Road?

I live about a mile down a public dusty dirt / gravel road and am looking for advice on how to keep my Inferno Orange Metallic 2010 SS2 RS with black vinyl stripes *(taking delivery within a week) as clean and protected as possible INSIDE AND OUT. What should I use and or avoid?

I am looking for tips and advice about cleaning and certain products / techniques that might work best for my situation. Some of my concerns are how to best clean and keep my tires, wheels, and exterior looking clean, as I am assuming some products may act like a magnet for this dirt and dust.

On all of my previous vehicles I was never really concerned about best techniques and the proper ways to clean and maintain an exterior :( I ran through regular car washes, rubbed the paint non linearly with old shirts or sponges out of the same bucket. I did not even bother waxing

I expect that I will be washing / cleaning this car regularly by hand and will do periodic waxing / treating /etc. I just want to do an honest job protecting and caring for the paint and do not intend to be using clay bars, electric buffers or anything of the sort. *(if I ever needed to do something of the sort I may have someone more experienced do this)

So far I have learned about the 2 bucket system and cleaning in the same linear direction. I am thinking that I am going to have to find a good cleaning mitt or something rather than the cheap sponges I have used in the past. I am also thinking about using Chamois to avoid water spots. I am currently clueless about what exact cleaning / protectant products would be best for me. I also wonder if I should avoid most of the products that they sell at walmart or not. If I follow the advice of a family member I could end up using something such as meguiars products....is this a bad idea?

I will also most likely be having some protective film installed in certain key areas to give a bit of extra protection to some of the paint. I will be avoiding fender flares or mud flaps. I will also be driving slow on the gravel.

As far as the interior I try to keep my windows up on the gravel, but still get quite a bit of dust inside and dirt buildup in common areas such as in the door wells, under the trunk, under the hood, etc. Are there some great products to use for cleaning inside besides vacuuming it out religiously. Like what should be used to clean around the dash and instruments? I seem to remember being told that I should never use ARMORALL as it will cause cracks or something, so I am clueless.

Sorry if I sound like a NOOB, but I am and figured I would seek advice here. I figured that it would be a good idea to ask for some opinions before I waste a lot of money or mess something up.

Thank you in advance for any advice, thoughts, feedback, etc.
CoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
You sound like you want to have a nice shiny camaro, but not a show car camaro. With that said:

1) 2 bucket wash is good, 2 bucket wash with grit guards is better

2) In my experience, Waffle Weave Drying towel > chamois.

3) A good OTC (over the counter) soap is Meguiar's Gold Class. It's about 10 dollars, and worth it.

4) A product that goes a long way for cleaning wheels is Meguiars Wheel Brightener. Don't use it on uncoated metal though.

5) A good product to clean tires is APC (all purpose cleaner). I like to use Optimum Power Clean... but that is pretty expensive. A cheaper option for you would be Meguiars APC D101. Meguiar's has two APCs one that foams, one that doesn't. The foaming is good for tires, but bad for pretty much everything else. D101 foams, D103 doesn't.

6) Wash from the top down. The bottom part of your car is dirtiest and should be left for last.

7) Avoiding fender flares or mud flaps is a BAD decision if you live on gravel. You will be royally screwed I promise you and it won't matter how slow you go unless you are going <5 mph. Your car though, so your decision.

8) No clay bars is also a bad idea if you want to get the max shine without an electric buffer, but again your car, your decisions.

9) A wax that seems like it would work for you is Collinite 845. From your post, it seems like you don't want to spend every two weeks waxing your car. Collinite 845 lasts for about 2 to 3 months, longer if you take care of it.

10) UWW+ (ultima waterless wash plus concentrate). 16 oz makes 5.5 GALLONS of quick detailer or rinseless wash. This is good if you want an easy way to wash your car in between proper waxes or if you're pinched on time. It is also good if you if you just want to do a spot touch up.

11) Some Meguiars are bad, some are not. Deep crystal wash is terrible, gold class shampoo is probably the best over the counter soap you can get.

12) Get a good interior cleaner and soft brush. UWW+ can be an interior cleaner in a pinch, but not recommended if you haven't cleaned your interior in quite a while. Some of the best interior cleaner I have seen is Ultima Interior Gel Shampoo (don't be fooled it's not a gel, it's more liquidy). REVIEW => http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ampoo-gel.html

13) Armor all has upgraded their lineup, but it's still not great. I don't think it will cause cracks though.

14) Don't buy a microfiber wash mitt or microfibers from Walmart UNLESS you only plan on using them on the interior. If you don't want to scratch your paint, don't be cheap here. I love my Cobra Microfiber Towels (have about 20) and they never lint. But they are really expensive and I don't think you would buy them from your post. Still try to get a quality MF wash mitt and towels.

Hope this helps

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Good Afternoon!

Taking delivery of a new Camaro in my favorite color...AWESOME!

A couple things to keep in mind for proper maintenance of your new Camaro...

A Two Bucket Wash with Two Grit Guards and Two Wash Pads is key to helping make sure you aren't inducing harm to your paint while washing it. Your new Camaro WILL need to be clayed to remove all surface contamination, raildust, overspray, etc. that showed up between it coming off the line, and to your door. Adam's offers a complete line of car care products to make sure that Camaro stays brand new looking.

Living on a dirt road, keeping it always spotless is going to be a challenge. Staying on top of it, when it's lightly dusted with Waterless Wash and a Waffle Weave microfiber towel can help in between actual washes. To keep the tires brand new looking, and dirt free, I suggest using an All Purpose Cleaner and a Tire Dressing like Adam's SVRT (SVRT Kit). SVRT will not attract dirt or dust, it dries in minutes, doesn't look greasy nor will it sling muck all up the side of your new Camaro. Plus, it has SPF 30!

For protection, Brilliant Glaze and Americana Paste Wax really makes that Orange POP!! Using only Premium Microfiber Towels on your paint, nothing that comes with a tag on it, are also going to help keep your paint happy!

Don't forget to use Camaro5 for your 10% off forum member discount. We are also offering Flat Rate, Ground Shipping for the rest of October.

Here is a link to our Instructional Car Care Videos.

-Mook
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
CoV

Well a couple of concerns i thought that I should address is that I worry that using a clay bar could over time damage the paint / clearcoat.

Also I hate the way that fender flares / mud flaps look. I do not expect to have perfect paint and know that I will surely get some chips / dings over time reguardless of what I do or how careful I am.

This will not be a show car, but a driver that I want to take decent care of.

Thank you so far with the tips and thoughts, please keep them coming!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoV View Post
Well a couple of concerns i thought that I should address is that I worry that using a clay bar could over time damage the paint / clearcoat.

Also I hate the way that fender flares / mud flaps look. I do not expect to have perfect paint and know that I will surely get some chips / dings over time reguardless of what I do or how careful I am.

This will not be a show car, but a driver that I want to take decent care of.

Thank you so far with the tips and thoughts, please keep them coming!
1) Clay bars have been in use for tens of years. They won't damage your paint.

2) I don't like how they look either, but just know you're warned Camaro paint is terrible.

3) As I first said, I figured it wouldn't be a show car, but something that you just want to look shiny. Thus, pretty much all my suggestions can work for you because they were based on that assumption.

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
CoV

ok, i might be willing to look more into clay bars eventually.

I just worry about the flares and flaps look, any highly recommended products out there??? as I may at least reconsider.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Rangore

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Cyber Gray
Storage in town for the car. LOL

My wife said that to me about a house that she liked out in the country off a dirt road. I just laughed and said I'll be saying, "I'll be back I'm going to drive the truck to storage so I can take the Camaro on a drive to the store".

I feel for you. I told my wife that a house off a dirt road is a deal breaker regardless of the house.

I think you're getting sound advice above. I'm a noob when it comes to detailing too, so the advice you're given is good for all of us who want a shiny car.

Good luck,
Current: 2010 Camaro 2LT - Current Mods: EGA on left and right windows - Solo CAT Back - Black CAI - Black Carbon Fiber Bow-tie Vinyl - Switchback LED Turn Signal bulbs - HOD Headlight bulbs - Aqua interior LED bulb
No longer owned: 1993 Camaro Z-28
Rangore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
1) Clay bars have been in use for tens of years. They won't damage your paint.

2) I don't like how they look either, but just know you're warned Camaro paint is terrible.

3) As I first said, I figured it wouldn't be a show car, but something that you just want to look shiny. Thus, pretty much all my suggestions can work for you because they were based on that assumption.
Camaro paint isn't terrible.

*In life, there are no nandroids*