Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #1
EDFHOBBIES
 
EDFHOBBIES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS BumbleBee
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 317
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Best LS3 Heads for blower? Trickflow? MAST? GMHP?

Ok so reading the article by hotrod magizine.. It looks like all the CNC heads using the stock heads as a platform are with in 3 to 4 hp of each other.. Making the GMHP heads the biggest bang for the buck! other than upgrading springs and retainers which I have all ready seems to be the cheapest play.. with no down time..

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...t/viewall.html

The Mast heads that are procomp they made the most power but not sure if it was fair since the cam was able to achieve more lift using 1.8 rockers vs 1.7 in this article.

question 1. not taking in consideration thicker head you can run more boost yada yada on procomps vs stock or TF.. only going by HP and TQ are the Mast any better than trickflow?

I can't find any info where someone had a big cu motor or blower with stock heads and switched the TF heads to see the power of stock castings vs Trickflows..

Also I don't wanna be down while mine are off getting worked on.. And it seems that sending your own castings off is about the price of the GMHP ones...

Let me know what some of yall did on your cars and if your happy!
SHOPs that have stuff in stock and take my cores later is ok too..
EDFHOBBIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Trob85
Svt lol
 
Trob85's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Topeka
Posts: 1,136
I got a set of gmpp heads going on this winter. They cost me 1100 (I think) to my door. I wanted something that could breath a little better which is what these do and after I swap this set I can sell the heads I have and cut the cost of the heads by half. Look at it this way are there better options there yes and no. You can send them to a high end company to have the stocks ported which are probably better than the gm version or you can do it in your garage with a port and kit and not flow the air others do. In the end one thing determines the power you make and that's the amount of boost pressure you run. You can (for this piece) make 900hp with one set you would run 15 lbs another 18lbs. The more air your heads flow the less boost you need so in the end it's up to you. I figured do financially smarter decision and recoup some money for other parts.
__________________
Fully built Honda motor swap wit nawwwz, turbo making 214 whp.
Trob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
EDFHOBBIES
 
EDFHOBBIES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS BumbleBee
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 317
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Ya what im thinking. .
EDFHOBBIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
EDFHOBBIES
 
EDFHOBBIES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS BumbleBee
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 317
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
I just bought from Jegs the kit.. http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...8758K/10002/-1

This is what kit included and I priced parts individually..

$598.99 2 CNC heads 88958750
$47.99 2 Head gaskets GM 12622033 For ZL1/Zr1 (Ask for it if ur boosted)
$123.26 134-3610 ARP Head Bolts
$ 20.00 2 Valve Covers Gaskets
$1437.22 total parts


Kit Price $1402.99 saves ya about $37.22

I all ready have BTR pushrods, BTR Springs, and Retainers so this was the cheapest way for me..

I looked at WCCH, TEA, LIVERNOIS, MAST AND TFS everyone..

All the GM castings where with in 10hp and 5lbs or torque.. The mast heads were good for 40 hp more but the test I saw they used 1.8 rockers vs 1.7 and after talking to shops it was definitely a big advantage.. I know there a good head but 3200.00 and Trickflow 2500.00 plus 7.70 pushrod. That's just to much for me right now. PLus after seeing that GMPP CNC heads and LS9 cam was worth the same performance as a night furry cam.. I was sold because I know for a fact that the LS9 cam is worth 20hp barely..

Last edited by EDFHOBBIES; 07-18-2014 at 03:15 PM.
EDFHOBBIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
Trob85
Svt lol
 
Trob85's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Topeka
Posts: 1,136
Send those head bolts back one thing you NEED to go all in on is head bolts go with some arp head studs way way better option.
__________________
Fully built Honda motor swap wit nawwwz, turbo making 214 whp.
Trob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
Chevrolade

 
Chevrolade's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 863
I run the trick flows
They sure woke my car up
Chevrolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
EDFHOBBIES
 
EDFHOBBIES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS BumbleBee
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 317
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
Send those head bolts back one thing you NEED to go all in on is head bolts go with some arp head studs way way better option.
When I get a Forged bottom end you can believe it! Since I'm running 6 to 9psi for now I'm going to take my chances lol.

I figured the jump from stock bolts to ARP was better..
EDFHOBBIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
Ray@RDS

 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 463
Richard @ WCCH as well......

one of the first pioneers of the LS3 port design and a true "Good to know Go to Guy"

give him a shout...
Ray@RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
EDFHOBBIES
 
EDFHOBBIES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS BumbleBee
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 317
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray@RDS View Post
Richard @ WCCH as well......

one of the first pioneers of the LS3 port design and a true "Good to know Go to Guy"

give him a shout...
I did call last week no answer no returned call :(

Not sure 900.00 is worth 6 hp

GMPP CNC (5364 Casting)

Retail price: $1,495 Actual price $1196.00 plus springs no core!
Intake valve size: 2.165
Exhaust valve size: 1.59
Intake port volume: 279 cc
Exhaust port volume: 95 cc
Chamber volume: 70 cc
Peak power: 720 hp at 6,500 rpm
Peak torque: 629 lb-ft at 4,800 rpm
Average horsepower (3,500-6,700): 578.7 hp
Average torque (3,500-6,700): 593.4 lb-ft
Torque at 4,000 rpm: 558.0 lb-ft

West Coast Racing Cylinder Heads CNC LS3/L92

Retail price: $2,180
Intake valve size: 2.20
Exhaust valve size: 1.6
Intake port volume: 280 cc
Exhaust port volume: 97 cc
Chamber volume: 70 cc
Peak power: 726 hp at 6,600 rpm
Peak torque: 630 lb-ft at 4,900 rpm
Average horsepower (3,500-6,700): 581.6 hp
Average torque (3,500-6,700): 596.1 lb-ft
Torque at 4,000 rpm: 559.2 lb-ft


I can sell my cores to some one that wants to LS1 to LS3.. I might have 500.00 into a set of heads..

LPE CNC (823 Castings)

Retail price: $1,699.95
Intake valve size: 2.165
Exhaust valve size: 1.59
Intake port volume: 271 cc
Exhaust port volume: 93 cc
Chamber volume: 70 cc
Peak power: 718.7 hp at 6,800 rpm
Peak torque: 627.7 lb-ft at 4,800 rpm
Average horsepower (3,500-6,700): 576.7 hp
Average torque (3,500-6,700): 591.8 lb-ft
Torque at 4,000 rpm: 561.2 lb-ft
EDFHOBBIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
H-E

 
Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: everywhere
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
I did call last week no answer no returned call :(

Not sure 900.00 is worth 6 hp

GMPP CNC (5364 Casting)

Retail price: $1,495 Actual price $1196.00 plus springs no core!
Intake valve size: 2.165
Exhaust valve size: 1.59
Intake port volume: 279 cc
Exhaust port volume: 95 cc
Chamber volume: 70 cc
Peak power: 720 hp at 6,500 rpm
Peak torque: 629 lb-ft at 4,800 rpm
Average horsepower (3,500-6,700): 578.7 hp
Average torque (3,500-6,700): 593.4 lb-ft
Torque at 4,000 rpm: 558.0 lb-ft

West Coast Racing Cylinder Heads CNC LS3/L92

Retail price: $2,180
Intake valve size: 2.20
Exhaust valve size: 1.6
Intake port volume: 280 cc
Exhaust port volume: 97 cc
Chamber volume: 70 cc
Peak power: 726 hp at 6,600 rpm
Peak torque: 630 lb-ft at 4,900 rpm
Average horsepower (3,500-6,700): 581.6 hp
Average torque (3,500-6,700): 596.1 lb-ft
Torque at 4,000 rpm: 559.2 lb-ft


I can sell my cores to some one that wants to LS1 to LS3.. I might have 500.00 into a set of heads..

LPE CNC (823 Castings)

Retail price: $1,699.95
Intake valve size: 2.165
Exhaust valve size: 1.59
Intake port volume: 271 cc
Exhaust port volume: 93 cc
Chamber volume: 70 cc
Peak power: 718.7 hp at 6,800 rpm
Peak torque: 627.7 lb-ft at 4,800 rpm
Average horsepower (3,500-6,700): 576.7 hp
Average torque (3,500-6,700): 591.8 lb-ft
Torque at 4,000 rpm: 561.2 lb-ft
Fyi...you can't put ls3 heads on a ls1
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
EDFHOBBIES
 
EDFHOBBIES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS BumbleBee
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 317
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Uh ya you can I have seen a lot people re-sleeve the LS1 to accept 4.00 bore. In fact that's all we could do back 90s from gallen and Mast..
EDFHOBBIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
H-E

 
Drives: 2010 zr1 Camaro 2011 vert
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: everywhere
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
Uh ya you can I have seen a lot people re-sleeve the LS1 to accept 4.00 bore. In fact that's all we could do back 90s from gallen and Mast..
Then I wouldn't consider it a ls1, and if I spent $2000 to sleeve my block I wouldn't put used ls3 heads on it.Just wanted to make sure guys didn't think the ls3 head worked on a ls1 bore, we get that question alot.
H-E is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.