Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
First time polish with PC 7424XP, advice?

So I got my new PC 7424XP and hopefully this weekend will be putting it to use. Practicing first on my black (ugh) 10 year old Trailblazer with swirls from hell. Having used the Menzerna Power Lock with great success in the past (and having ton left) I opted to go with the Menzerna SIP and the SF4000 to polish.

So, my plan is to wash it and then clay it (medium grade clay with Dodo clay lube). Then using painters tape, tape off moldings, handles, trim, lights, and badges. Then fire it up and start with the SIP. Complete entire car, then do it again with the SF4000 and finally Power Lock (apply with PC, remove by hand). Doubt I'll get it done in one session.

I have watched a bunch of videos, and think I might know what I am supossed to do. Work 2x2 areas. Pre glaze orange pad then only 2-3 dabs of material there-after for each new area. Side to side movement over entire area, then up and down, all overlapping. Not clear exactly how many total passes to make. Have seen anywhere from 2 to 6 recommended (anyone know?). I will lighten my presure on the last pass or two. Overall I plan on letting the weight of the machine do most of the work (or should I be applying pressure?). After the passes wipe down with plush Micro fiber towel.

Open to suggestions, words of wisdom or any other thought you might have that will help me out!
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
Vindicated Jew

Drives: 2006 Honda civic
you shouldnt really be putting any pressure on it to release, let the tool do the work. especially a more powerful one like your PC

but then again, im no expert.
Vindicated Jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Good_Times

Drives: red
Looks like you have the basics covered. I would like to add a few tips if I may. You mention doing the whole car with your first compound and the repeating the process with the next product. I would start out with a test spot first. I have seen where someone will post that they used product x all over a car and couldn't get the results they were looking for. If the desired effect of any product isn't happening then correct or adjust your process until you get it dialed in before going on to the whole car and the next product. Your test spot will show you how many passes and what downward pressure is required to get the results you are wanting. Don't be afraid to put moderate pressure on the machine as long as the backing plate maintains it rotation. A small mark with a sharpie on the side of the bp will aid in keeping a eye on its rotation.
Good_Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Definitely use more pressure than you described. Just enough to slow down the spin of the pad but not completely stop it. Perfect a 2' x 2' area with both steps and then proceed with that technique around the entire car.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
IPT

excellent advice, thanks!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
Sounds like you got it op, wish I would've only use dabs after the initial first section on the car
Lil' Nasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
You definitely want to put some pressure on it. The machine won't do any correcting work without a good deal of force behind it.

Read this:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

And test spot is a must!

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Nick@Adams

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Not clear exactly how many total passes to make. Have seen anywhere from 2 to 6 recommended (anyone know?).
Machine polishing is less 'paint by numbers' and more freestyle. Depending on the product, ambient temp/humidity, speed of the machine, pressure used, etc you'll have variations in how long a polish is worked or how many 'section passes' are required.

Generally (when working with a diminishing abrasive) you want to look for the flash - which is where the polish goes from a milky/opaque to a clear/oily look. This is your indication that the polish is worked and you're good to stop. It may take tons of section passes, or just a few... just depends on the individual situation and the contributing factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
I will lighten my presure on the last pass or two. Overall I plan on letting the weight of the machine do most of the work (or should I be applying pressure?). After the passes wipe down with plush Micro fiber towel.
I tend to keep my pressure pretty consistent thru the entire working cycle. With a tool like the PC pressure is important... enough to slow the centrifugal rotation of the pad without completely stopping it. Too light and you can have issues with how it finishes, too heavy and you're wasting effort.
Nick@Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
IPT

thank you Dylan, excellent information, appreciate it.